BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car is at a standstill, and I engage 1st gear, every now and again I get a subtle shudder when taking off. After driving the car hard it seems more noticeable This does not happen all the time, but it is a little annoying when it does. I called a few shops and they all quoted me between 3k and 4k(dealershilp price) for the clutch/flywheel replacement. When should I get this replaced? If I drive it in the condition it is in, I understand that the problem will get worse, but could it cause transmission damage? I know that many of you on here have had multiple clutch replacements, but I have never encountered any problems before. My car has 38,xxx miles, so I know that it is something on the horizon. What are the benefits to changing it early before it is a problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
just out of interest which driving mode are you using, mine will sometimes act like that after a long time stuck in traffic, but i find
that selecting m mode stops it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like the usual BMW problem of the release bearing sticking on the shaft, this is a very common problem with our transmissions, and although the clutch may not be excessively worn, once the box is off it would be false economy not to change the lot, by which I mean clutch plate and flywheel. The mileage you have on the car seems low for this issue, but I'd be fairly sure that the above is the culprit!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Start by having the SMG Adaptation performed and see if that helps. The SMG stores a "kiss-point" which can drift slightly due to wear/temperature/etc and needs to be recalibrated occasionally. This is the second step to diagnosing *any* problem with the SMG. First is read codes, then perform adaptation. If it doesn't smooth out after that, then look at mechanical causes.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I get this on mine, the flywheel, clutch and release bearing were fine.

Only seems to happen when the car is cold and it is at freeze or below outside. As soon as she warms up it goes away.

I had the adaption done when I got my engine put in and it was fine then, just very slowly over the months it started to get worse.
Will run the adaption again in spring time.

·
2,149 Posts
Now that the temps in the NE have dropped to freezing levels, i have been noticing this aswell every now and then.. Sometimes its perfect and then one day it will shudder, its not consistent at all. No codes stored. I did do the double paddle pull reset, and it did help for a while and then the shudder came back.. IMHO, if it was the release bearing it would be consistent every single time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Try an adaption first, but if you have the software also bleed the vanos. Mine had this and I did a vanos bleed and everything is smooth as can be.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The best thing in this scenario is drive the car with some spirit until it is nice and warm, and then have the adaptation done immediately.

I will clarify that the double paddle pull is NOT a reset/adaptation - it simply calibrates your cars roll out. The manual states to do it every time you change tires, and thus it is a roll-out related "reset."

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Mine does that too off and on; My E39 with the JB racing big clutch (POS) did the same thing except it never would go away...I chock it up to the clutch wearing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine does it to, I believe it is the common release bearing problem. I will say as it has gotten colder here, the frequency of the shudder occurring has increased. Mostly when in heavy traffic or first thing in the morning, which conflict if relating to temp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts