BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m at 60k miles on my 2008 M5 and was wondering if I should swap out my ignition coils for new ones at this point in time?

I broke a few of my coils when doing my latest sparkplug replacement and ended up using 4 new Intermotor brand coils from Advance Auto... which are supposedly OEM. One of the cylinders with the new coil had come-and-go misfires and finally that went away as soon as i used an old coil in it’s place which makes me wonder about the quality of these $60/pop coils. I guess they’re no longer Made in Germany anymore... regardless of price huh?

Autohausaz.com has Bremi brand coils at $55/each. Are those any good? Or should i go with something like NGK?

·
Registered
546 Posts
OEM is Bremi I believe and yes worth changing. Got brand new OEM bremi from an EU provider for £350 shipped which equates to $500 usd but I'm in the UK.

They were original parts without BMW stamp hence the reduced pricing.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
1,743 Posts
Just to state what should be obvious... These engines use older platinum plugs which require changing every 35k miles. Before changing coils ask yourself when was the last time you changed plugs.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I think I have 4 of 10 original coils; replaced as they break from changing plugs.

FWIW, I just replaced plugs at a 13,000 mile interval, when we did the TAs. The plugs looked worn. Normally, I’m swapping at 15,000. I’ve always taken BMW’s “old school” maintenance schedule and cut any service interval in half.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just to state what should be obvious... These engines use older platinum plugs which require changing every 35k miles. Before changing coils ask yourself when was the last time you changed plugs.
i dont remember... probably 30k miles ago or more. Sparkplug tips looked horrible... very oval shaped

i just always thought ignition Coils wear out and affect performance, especially if they are cheap new ones

·
Registered
190 Posts
@djrynyc
Have you had any issues at all with the Delphi coils?

I'm really curious. I ask since I've come to understand that almost any of the BMW black top coils can work across most of the BMW engines, but I've read that Bremi ones were OE for the S85, and Bosch was OE for the S65. I reason that this may have been due to the fact that only the S85 has the ionic current module which uses the spark plug (and coil) to monitor the voltage after the combustion event.

If the resistance or impedance of the coils are different between manufacturers, the resistance in the circuit may be quite different. The voltage monitoring is how the DME knows the combustion quality and if there was detonation, which affects the spark advance. The S65 has knock sensors so it may very well be the reason why they then could go with Bosch coils.

I've found no other information that talks about true interoperability between coil manufacturers. I have no doubts whether any of the will release the energy stored in the coil when signaled, but S85s use spark plug and coil for feedback. I'd ask an old co-worker who used to work at Delphi, he could track down the right people who would know but he retired few years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts