BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got an '02 with 43K miles. It's been a nightmare since I've bought it. Received the car with no emergency brakes. I've had a dozen warranty items fixed. Now the clutch is slipping under load. And the door seal needs fixed so water doesn't fill up the rear floor pan. There was repaint work in the right rear. The car was driven - many paint chips touched up in the front. Overall, the car runs fine and I'm hoping after these petty items get fixed, it'll be trouble free...cross my fingers. But the thought of the way this car was maintained prior to me buying it makes me sick.

Now, a guy that works in my firm just traded his '03 with 10K miles fo a Cayenne. The dealer would sell me the '03 M5 for wholesale, but also give me the wholesale price for my car. We are looking at a $10,000 spread to trade up from an '02 with 43K miles to an '03 with 10K miles. Is it worth it? Should I try to sell my car private party then buy the '03? The '03 is pristine, non-smoker, never wrecked or repainted.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Sorry but a Cayanne is not a trade up....i say wait get um fixed, go from there, maybe you love it at that point. Only trade up for a ferrari or new m5 or m6

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry for the confusion...I'm looking to buy this guys '03 M5 that he traded in for a Cayenne.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
boostmiser said:
Sorry for the confusion...I'm looking to buy this guys '03 M5 that he traded in for a Cayenne.

My mistake I read it to fast :) sorry...then yeah i say do that :) :cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
I would do it for peace of mind, especially if you plan on driving an M5 for the next few years.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This seems like a no brainer to me, especially if you know the history of the vehicle your trading for which sounds like you do. Last year for the E39, 30,000 mileage difference, vehicle damage history of your current car, I say go for it :wroom:

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
I agree, if you know the background of the '03 it might be a fair trade without all the problems your car has. With the problems, 30,000 miles newer, it seems to be an easy call, do it.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
What's the color combo. of the 03? Assuming both cars are CPO status, you'll still gain one year of coverage. I'd do it in a heart beat. In DE, is car sales tax on the full amount, or 03 sales price minus trade in value?

CP

·
Registered
540 Posts
ray540inyc said:
definately do the trade. just let us buyers know where yours is at so we dont run into it.

ray
LOL at Ray...Good Point

Boost, as for the trade, I see it as a no brainer...go for it

al

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If you do not mind owning your co workers vehicle, I say go for it as well. Seems like a safe bet in terms of warranty, and unknown history on your model. Please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha, that is funny. Yeh, I'll post the car 'not to buy' and the dealer 'not to buy from'.
I just hate the fact that this mistake is costing me so much money. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is it the same dealer you bought the car from? If it is, I think that they should realize that they made a mistake and meet you halfway? I still say go for it, great car... Too bad you had problems, thats what you get with used cars though... Sometimes you get lucky :) Hopfully with this guy you will :)

boostmiser said:
Ha, that is funny. Yeh, I'll post the car 'not to buy' and the dealer 'not to buy from'.
I just hate the fact that this mistake is costing me so much money. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
$10K to gain a year and 33K miles seems like a great deal especially since you have had some issues with your '02. Make the deal and you have chosen wisely.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We are looking at a $10,000 spread to trade up from an '02 with 43K miles to an '03 with 10K miles. Is it worth it? Should I try to sell my car private party then buy the '03? The '03 is pristine, non-smoker, never wrecked or repainted.[/QUOTE]

With the way you've described that '02, it sounds like you would be crazy not to get the new car plus 33k of mileage to burn! Go with your gut... good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm really torn on this. I think it's the right car. The wife said I am to spend no more money. Hummm...wife....forum members.....wife....forum members.

I actually looked at an E55 last night. Thought about leasing one but still too expensive for me right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Someone implied this is a CPO car. You didn't say you would be buying the car from a BMW dealer. A car has to be sold by a BMW dealer to get its CPO status.

If your buying the car from a Porsche dealer than you will have the balance of the 4yr/50K factory warranty.

Just trying to share as I found this out the hard way when I bought a M3 from an individual who said the car was a CPO car and it wasn't even though it had been started as a CPO car at a BMW dealer but got dealer-swapped to a Lexus dealer who ultimately sold the car.grrrrrrr

1 - 20 of 31 Posts