BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Stock or Modded?

• Keep it the way it is, It looks great!

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Put it back to stock ASAP!

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latly I have been toying with the idea of returnign my car to stock. The car is my DD. The exhaust is very loud, I cant start the car in the garage with out waking the house, Im not sure how much i like the look of CF over the stock look. I want drive ablity back. Here is a list of my mods. The ones listed in red i am considering returnign back to stock. Please give me your honest opinion of all the mods.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 184pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=245><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 184pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 8960" width=245><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 184pt; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21 width=245>Tinted windows

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Rear view camera

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Stealth one

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Ipod hook up

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Ham radio

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Shark Injector

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Umnitza Orion LED Angel Eyes

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Interior LEDs

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Licence plate LED

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Euro fire extinguisher

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Euro first aid kit

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Bluetooth

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 184pt; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl65 height=21 width=245>HID foglights

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Custom Programming

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Custom Cold air intake
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>UUC v12 clutch and flywheel

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Exhaust (A1 Headers, Magna flow Mufflers and resonators)

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Carbon fiber hood, Rear diffuser, Rear spoiler and all the badges

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl63 height=21>Painted brake calipers </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Suspension

Photos of the car stock:

Photos of the car modded:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I think if you want the stock look, just get rid of the vented hood. It will look more or less stock then. And to answer your question, I think your M5 looks good stock and modded, so just go with your gut.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
4,305 Posts
everyone asks for the vorsteiner hood w/ the bulge but no vents...IMO if it wasn't for that unnecessary/way-too-squared-off bulge it'd look awesome

the exhaust & carbon fiber wrap isnt my cup of tea

but in general it looks fine...very nice

·
Registered
571 Posts
Change the complete exhaust back to stock including the CAI. If you think it's too loud...It IS too loud. Even more so for a DD.

Don't change the clutch and flywheel unless it's too stiff and bothers you. Better to have fun wearing it out first, then change it !:M5launch:

The hood is personal taste. Personally, I prefer my M in stock form (body wise). Classic E39 M5 lines. That says it all!

As we all know, a stock M is not a perfect DD but not many people would pass it up!

Good Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I like the Hood, have a similar (Vorsteiners) but will have the vents paited as well, I think the other mods are subtle but change the exhaust.
I have Tubi Runmore, nice loud sound but not too much if you take it easy on the throttle. If you want to sell it later it's easy to change back to the original Hood.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I would maybe remove the bonnet and leave the rest as it looks great

cheers

·
Registered
988 Posts
Personally, I think that color in stock trim is beautiful. The carbon fiber, and hood really detract from the car. They look added on. As for the exhaust, magnaflows have a nice tone...not too loud. Just my ageing opinion!

·
Registered
541 Posts
IMO change the hood back to stock but leave the black grills. I'm not a fan of CF so I would paint the rear diffuser flat black to match the trim.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I call dibs on the hood if you sell it!!! haha,

Anyway my $.23 is to change your exhaust to a quieter exhaust but not stock. (although Im selling stock cans if youre interested) I think if you go back to stock youll miss some of the beastly sound of an aftermarket system.

As the others have said I think if you put the hood back to stock youll be much happier. Keep your rear spoiler and diffuser CFiber because it looks badazz against the color of your car.

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Well, it sounds like the OP wants stock "drivablility" back. So, what items change that? It would seem intake, exhaust and clutch.

As to CAI, I doubt it has much effect at all.

Exhaust, however, will be much louder with your setup. I have SS headers, stock H pipe and Hamann cans. I can tell you that there is no loudness issue, although it is a little louder than stock. But no droning. So perhaps going back over your exhaust setup and trying to figure out where the extra noise is coming from would help (not sure if you have x-pipe or non stock mufflers, but those two items would account for 90% of any noise increase IMHO).

Finally the clutch. Not sure if the feel is different, but the UUC V12 is known to have "gear lash" noise issues at idle with the pedal out. If that is a source of frustration, not much you can do. Two things to try: heaver tranny fluid and raising idle speed 200-300 rpm. The V12 gives better bite and will stand up to more abuse, but is not as quiet as stock. It is a tradeoff. Otherwise, you need to consider going back to a dual mass flywheel setup, again, all IMHO.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
142 Posts
Change the exhaust back to stock, or something between what you have now and stock in terms of loudness. Stock may be too much of the other extreme for you. Went through the exact same thing with a Cayenne Turbo S, met in the middle and that was the solution for me.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Modify your Exhaust set up and you're good to go as many have already mentioned. Everything else looks good.

Maybe you need to install some different resonators that do a better job at quieting the system down.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just put quieter mufflers on to start.

The rest looks okay -- but the hood is a little too "tuner"-ish for a German sedan in my opinion.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the opinions! Keep them Coming!

You guys should get more background, The M5 is my DD and needs to be treated like one. I drive a lot. My toy is the exact opposite. Its a 1987 325is that is gong through a transformation, When we are complete it, not only will it be loud but it will have about 400rwhp and still out handle everything on the track. So as you can kinda see i need at least one car that ca function as a Daily driver and a road trip car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey Rhino...cool name BTW...I think the color of your car is very nice and kind of conservative. I would go back to a more stock look because it suits that maroon color better...That's what I would do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts