BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am on the way getting an used M5. I allways loved the car for what it is, and its look. I wanted a M3 first, but the two doors scared me away.

As a background, I have never had a M car befor. My current drive is a small E36 320i :D

Anyways, here is the deal I got from the dealer. Its not a BMW dealer, but an VW/Audi/Porsche one. I would really like to hear what your opinions are.

M5 Carbon Black 2001
18'900 miles
Full package but Soonroof and TV
VERY nice condition. The rear seats and the seat beside the drivers are in "mint" condition and show 1% wear.
Same for the outside (Beisde small paint chips on the front).
The Rims are still perfect, without any damage.
It drives very nice, rattle free. Only when braking i feel a "fading" which comes from the brakes.
The rear tires can go another 4k miles.

Here the prices:

50'350 us $
+ I get new rear tires
+ new brake disks
+ Service

or

47'900 us $
- without anything done

I "think" I will get the car for the 50'350 us $... i assume brake disks are not cheap.

I also will try to get it down to 49'000 us $ instead of the 50'350... I am not sure he will do it. He was VERY adamant about the 50'350 first.

Btw, I live in Switzerland :)

Ok thanks a lot and have a good time!

Foxi

·
Registered
42 Posts
Foxi said:
Hey all,

I am on the way getting an used M5. I allways loved the car for what it is, and its look. I wanted a M3 first, but the two doors scared me away.

As a background, I have never had a M car befor. My current drive is a small E36 320i :D

Anyways, here is the deal I got from the dealer. Its not a BMW dealer, but an VW/Audi/Porsche one. I would really like to hear what your opinions are.

M5 Carbon Black 2001
18'900 miles
VERY nice condition. The rear seats and the seat beside the drivers are in "mint" condition and show 1% wear.
It drives very nice, rattle free. Only when braking i feel a "fading" which comes from the brakes.

Here the prices:

50'350 us $
+ I get new rear tires
+ new brake disks
+ Service

or

47'900 us $
- without anything done

I "think" I will get the car for the 50'350 us $... i assume brake disks are not cheap.

I also will try to get it down to 49'000 us $ instead of the 50'350... I am not sure he will do it. He was VERY adamant about the 50'350 first.

Foxi
Thats difficult because you are in CH...knowing your country, it sounds like a fair deal, either way. Hopefully, you are dealing with a Frenchie, who are more flexible than most Dlanders! I think the value of your car in the US would be closer to the Mid 40sUSD. I'd have an independent Mechanic who knows M cars take a look. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

I live in Switzerland too - where abouts are you. There are two of us on this board in Geneva that have just found out that our offices are 300 meters from each other :)

I've just bought my M5 (a month ago) - it was an '99 with 68,000 Km's, excellent condition everything except sunroof and phone (TV's great :) ) and I paid SFr38,500 (it came also with winter rims and tires).

Do a search on autoscout24.ch to compare prices around (I found that cars were generally cheaper around Zurich rather than Geneva). I think you are getting a fair deal from what you say though. If it's an AMAG garage, I doubt you'll get a discount...

One thing - I would recommend getting the work done now rather than later. If the discs are warped or have got to the maximum run out, you'll quickly go through them and regret not getting them done in the first place. You'll probably pay more also. For the tires, they are cheaper for the dealers (with the dealer discount) but figure Sfr400 for each rear tire if you do it on your own later. The other advantage of doing the tires yourself later is that a> you finish the current tires and b> you choose the brand (quite a subject on this board - do a search).

Hope this helps :)

BTW, This is my first M car also (although my 8th BMW). I also wanted an M3 but agreed with my wife not to spend more than Sfr40K before any searching began (long story with little to do with the actual cash amount...). You can't buy an E46 M3 for that price yet.... In any case, I'm glad I bought the M5 now since it's really comfortable and quite yet d*amn fast when I want :)

Regards,

Gary.

Foxi said:
Hey all,

M5 Carbon Black 2001
18'900 miles

Here the prices:

50'350 us $
+ I get new rear tires
+ new brake disks
+ Service

or

47'900 us $
- without anything done

Foxi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for your input folks!

I am still not deceided which offer to take. Does anyone know how much brake disk and pads change costs?

Thanks a lot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts