BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guys - this is my first post
I am getting a new M3 early 01 and am serioulsy considering carbonblack. However, a number of people are warning me that it is hard and expensive to care for.

I figured that I might get answers on this color at the M5 forum since surely many of you have had the experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Carbon black isn't nearly as difficult to care for/keep clean as plain black, but still tougher than most other colors.

It is a beautiful color. If you like it, get it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Black looks great when clean, however, it is a task keeping it that way from hour to hour. Also, black tends to looked aged faster than other colors (swirls, scratches, etc. show more). If you're set on black, WAX IT OFTEN. Good luck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My M5 is Carbon Black and I just love it. Without a doubt it looks best when clean. I have been driving it lately in the rain and it still looks good.

In fact I just today commented to myself that the color still looked great even though it was quite dirty. Just my opinion but go for it. It is a great color.

stevem

·
Registered
305 Posts
My M5 is Carbon Black and I just love it. Without a doubt it looks best when clean. I have been driving it lately in the rain and it still looks good.

In fact I just today commented to myself that the color still looked great even though it was quite dirty. Just my opinion but go for it. It is a great color.

stevem

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have a friend with a 00' carbon black M5... it is absolutely stunning ... when clean that is. As others have mentioned, you just have to be more anal about upkeep!

I had a Cosmos Black M3 prior to my new Imola Red M5, and it too was a chore to keep looking good, however, when it was all shined up, it was breathtaking!

Go for the Carbon Black if you don't mind and actually enjoy (as I do) detailing your baby often... if not? I would go with another color which would show less swirls, dust, etc...

Good luck with your decision!

Andy M.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Carbon Black is very hard to keep clean, don't let anyone fool you to thinking not. Maybe, just maybe it could be considered a bit more forgiving due to the clearcoat metalic finish.

But! if you are use to caring for a meduim or light colored cars, do not kid your self; carbon black is as hard to keep looking good as jet black.

TD

·
Registered
7 Posts
My '00 Carbon Black M5 is beautiful! Carbon Black was only offered on the M5 in 2000. The color changes from dark metallic blue in the sunlight to black in the shade. Any dark color is going to be more maintenance, and Jet Black is one of the most common colors for BMWs...so if you're going to have a special BMW, why not have a special color? If you like Carbon Black, go for it. It is a beautiful color, and you don't see it around much.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just picked up my 01 Carbon Black at the Performance center on Thursday. It's a knockout. People couldn't keep their hands off that car. It should really be called midnight blue as it's more blue than black but none-the-less it's great. Sure you have to keep it clean, but you're getting a M5 you're going to keep it clean anyway.

Go for it. Any if you can take advantage of the Performance center two-day...It's a great time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts