BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for a used M5 for months now, and I finally found an Anthracite 2001 with 60K Kms that is in absolute clean / perfect condition. I offered a bit more than I should have, and the original owner has decided to accept it.

Now I have cold feet, I've been battling the fiscally responsible side of myself all weekend, ever since I made the offer. My previous 2 cars were an Integra Type-R and a Subaru WRX, so this would be the most expensive "pleasure" purchase in my life.

Every time I say "no" to this and put it out of my mind, I always come back to the M5 and continue the search, perhaps that says something? Help, I don't know what to do. I LOVE cars, and this is something I've always wanted, and is within my means, without giving up the essentials (well almost). What should I do?

Restless in Toronto.

P.S: The fact that I'm asking this question in a less than objective place, may be a clue :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
personally, when i buy a 'toy' for myself, i tend to feel like i 'gotta have it'. research and research and deciding to buy was a no brainer for me. convince myself (and wife) that financially it was ok, and then it was a hunt for the right deal. and when the right deal comes, you'll know and will 'jump' on it. but thats just me. i can't think of another car in the price range i'd want. i also recently got married and am trying to 'grow up'. so you gotta ask yourself what you're buying and why. good luck. you can always sell (at a loss) if you really don't like it.. it is only money. :)

James

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you keep coming back to it after you put it out of your mind, my guess is that you will find yourself searching again in a few weeks if you walk away from this car.

some wise old fool once said - the best way to deal with temptation is to give in to it . . .

my advise is to get the car and then once you have had it for several months and the lust factor wears off, if you find yourself no longer loving the car you can always sell it. even if you end up selling it i think that because the m5 is such a great automobile you will end up looking back on the little that you lost in the transaction as 'pleasure money well spent'

bryon

:cheers:

let us know what you decide

·
Registered
837 Posts
Go for it, youll be happy:cheers: , Josh

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was feeling as you do now about 2 months ago when I got my M5.
Sounds like you can afford it, so go for it--you only live once!

Like you, I've owned Acura, Honda, and Lexus in the past. None of those
cars compare to the driving experience provided by the M5.

:cheers:

R748 said:
I've been looking for a used M5 for months now, and I finally found an Anthracite 2001 with 60K Kms that is in absolute clean / perfect condition. I offered a bit more than I should have, and the original owner has decided to accept it.

Now I have cold feet, I've been battling the fiscally responsible side of myself all weekend, ever since I made the offer. My previous 2 cars were an Integra Type-R and a Subaru WRX, so this would be the most expensive "pleasure" purchase in my life.

Every time I say "no" to this and put it out of my mind, I always come back to the M5 and continue the search, perhaps that says something? Help, I don't know what to do. I LOVE cars, and this is something I've always wanted, and is within my means, without giving up the essentials (well almost). What should I do?

Restless in Toronto.

P.S: The fact that I'm asking this question in a less than objective place, may be a clue :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My feeling is that you probably should not have offered if you weren't sure you were going to buy if he accepted.

He's trying to sell the car as much or more so because parting with an M5 is no easy decision.

I mean, if you keep going back to the beast - he accepted what you thought was a good offer, it seems to be a pretty easy decision.

If you read the posts on this board, you know that everyone loves the car.

Maintenance can be high at times but, if look at anything comparable, you'll probably find the same thing.

Look at the service history obviously - test-drive the hell out of it and if it's as clean and nice as you say, pull the trigger.:M5launch:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Definitely! Go for it!

I was just in your position some weeks ago. It seemed a hard decision to make at the time. However, even though cars are not the best financial investments, they are not like wasting your money on nothing.

It is really gratifying!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have owned mine for 10 months now and everytime I sit in the drivers seat I feel the same adreneline I felt when I first got it....:hihi:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your comments, not like I was expecting anything different! hiha

My offer was conditional on an inspection and background check. The car was bought at a local Toronto dealership, where the owner has done all the work there. The service record is very good. The only things are:

1) The fan recall, air bag recall
2) Cam position sensor at 55K Kms (now 60K Kms)
3) Misc burnt signal light
4) oil pressure sensor replaced @ 5K Kms.

That's it, everything else is oil change and general maintaence. No VANOS updates were done, but they are quiet on this car. I'm not going to worry about that. The car is absolutely clean inside and out, and I have a good feeling about the owner. This is the first car I've seen (and I've seen 4-5) that I felt comfortable making an offer.

When I started the search, I was very quickly put off after reading the long list of problems on this board. However, as time went on and I started looking into this, almost every one of them seemed easy to fix, especially with the wealth of information on here. The more I read, the more comfortable I became with ownership and it's potential costs. Lesson learned, if you do a search for "problem", it will seem like every one has problems with these cars. :haha:

So in short, I've pulled the trigger, and she will be mine before Friday. I'll put up some pics as soon as I get the car in the next few days.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The M5 has a incredible amount of character and charm. Once inside the chiropractically designed leather seats, one feels secure and enveloped in safety and the best engineering for it's time. It's classic lines are timeless and evokes adrenaline while just sitting in the driveway.

It has a special feel while driving. Unlike any other BMW that I have owned. It's truly a Man's Car. Solid, heavy while still being nimble. Agile like a predator while being sedate at the drivers will. To drive an M5 is a way of life for some that can't be replaced with any other car.

Of course there will be othe cars you drive but will Always compare to the M5. I am unable to answer your question as to wheter to buy or not.

For me, there is no Question...

I'm not truly alive, unless I'm in an M5

:cool:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
All I can add is that it is better to have owned than never to have owned at all.. or something like that :cheers:

Great car and, as was said earlier, it is only money.. goodluck, may you have many happy miles and biger smiles..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Congratulations for your decision, you'll not regret it. You'll soon stop daydreaming.:M5launch: To me it is as if you hook up with a very nice girlfriend and then you realize it is actually yours.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
If you have examined the financial aspect and feel that you can afford it (within whatever parameters you set for yourself) and this is THE car, you must buy it! If this car is not THE one (color, condition, milage etc.) then wait until the right one shows up. But make no mistake: once the M5 bug has bit, if you can afford it, you WILL eventually buy one.

Edit - I should have read the whole post before responding...Congratulations on the purchase!

·
Registered
377 Posts
R748 said:
Thanks everyone for your comments, not like I was expecting anything different! hiha

My offer was conditional on an inspection and background check. The car was bought at a local Toronto dealership, where the owner has done all the work there. The service record is very good. The only things are:

1) The fan recall, air bag recall
2) Cam position sensor at 55K Kms (now 60K Kms)
3) Misc burnt signal light
4) oil pressure sensor replaced @ 5K Kms.

That's it, everything else is oil change and general maintaence. No VANOS updates were done, but they are quiet on this car. I'm not going to worry about that. The car is absolutely clean inside and out, and I have a good feeling about the owner. This is the first car I've seen (and I've seen 4-5) that I felt comfortable making an offer.

When I started the search, I was very quickly put off after reading the long list of problems on this board. However, as time went on and I started looking into this, almost every one of them seemed easy to fix, especially with the wealth of information on here. The more I read, the more comfortable I became with ownership and it's potential costs. Lesson learned, if you do a search for "problem", it will seem like every one has problems with these cars. :haha:

So in short, I've pulled the trigger, and she will be mine before Friday. I'll put up some pics as soon as I get the car in the next few days.
I had wanted an M5 ever since they first came out in 1986 (?). Watched e-bay and a couple of other sale sites for about two years. In April, I finally bought mine. Even then, I felt like I bought it on emotion and not logic. In fac, 3 days after picking it up I awoke in a cold sweat thinking I'd made the biggest mistake in my life.

Not anymore. I LOVE the car. A real joy to drive the 50 miles I have to work. MY wife and I take an annual road trip to Vermont in the fall and I can't wait.

Congratulations!!:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 03 is the most expensive car I've ever had...but I have no regrets. Small price to pay to drive one of the best sports sedans ever made - IN THE WORLD...EVER!! (kinda puts it into perspective, doesn't it?)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have had mine about 5 weeks now. I still feel a little guilty about it (but it is getting better all the time), as it is by far the most expensive car I have ever purchased.

However, all that being said, it is probably the most enjoyable purchase I have ever made. The M5 (as many have written here as well) almost has something magic about it - it has so many awesome characterists, and they combine in an unusually potent way, that just excites time and time again.

I have owned 6 BMWs now (including a spectacular 99 M3), but the M5 is really special to me.

I hope you are as happy with your decision as I have been. I am writing this on the last day of an 8 day business trip - tomorrow I fly home and I can't wait to see and drive the M5 - well, uh, after I see my wife and kids first, of course! hiha

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Dude: this isn't a pleasure purchase - you are buying a well made car that can last you 250k miles. I bought mine with the full intention of driving it for at least 10 years. Next week is my fifth anniversary of M5 ownership, and the car looks and runs as good as it did the day I bought it, perhaps even better. And I still have plenty of pad left on the original brakes! Much cheaper to own and maintain than our Benz wagon.

Steve
00 M5
99 991
98 E320

1 - 20 of 23 Posts