BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have been researching through different websites and forums about reliability of these cars. Of course, as all forums there people with different opinions, but what really matters is what you actually want, they are just trying to help you make ur choice based on their own point of view. But i am very decided to get this car in a couple months, but do you all think is it the correct choice? This car won’t be a daily work; which i think it’s a good point, since i have my own company car, so i don’t have to worry about going back and towards and put a lot of miles on it; i will literally use it during the weekends (mostly) and some other days during the week when i have some time to drive it around.

Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ones a sedan and ones a coupe/vert. Get whichever one you like the style of more.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It sounds like you won't have many passengers so an M6 may make the most sense. The car is more rare but does not have the legacy of the M5. If you have done your research you should be prepared for some of the expensive repairs. Having the car sit may be as bad or worse than driving it, drive it every chance you can!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Either way, I recommend a 6 speed manual. No SMG issues on my ride..

·
Registered
157 Posts
What I like about the M5 is that it is so versatile. I can haul around my family, haul groceries, or haul @$$.

I like the look of the M6 better. I’ve never driven one so I can’t say how they compare.

3 pedals rule!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about reliability, have anyone got major problems? If so, after how many miles and what kind of problems, so i can look for a newer a low millages, and mainly the past owners and how they treated the car

·
Registered
40 Posts
What about reliability, have anyone got major problems? If so, after how many miles and what kind of problems, so i can look for a newer a low millages, and mainly the past owners and how they treated the car
Yes they have very major problems which is why you are getting an almost $100k car for $10-15k. Info is all over the internet and this site you should do a lot of research. Remember when something goes wrong you are fixing a 100k car

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
We need a “Should I own in 2020” Sticky. It’s seems like this topic pops up every couple weeks.

Yes they have very major problems which is why you are getting an almost $100k car for $10-15k. Info is all over the internet and this site you should do a lot of research. Remember when something goes wrong you are fixing a 100k car
They are only major problems if the owner 1) let minor problems become major problems, 2) lacks mechanical know how, or 3) lacks the financial means.

I’m speaking from 150,000+ miles of daily driving — not from some idiot-expert on YouTube that’s only owned the car for heartbeat.

Unfortunately, the used s85 market is a mine field of neglected cars with spotty histories from under capitalized Ballers on Beer Budgets, while best examples of s85s never trade hands.

Some recent threads on ownership:

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Read my response below:
It's as expensive as any v10 supercar -- take that for what it's worth. Over the last 169,000 miles, I'm on my second and third duty cycle of many consumables.

Off the top of my head...

On my 3rd set of rod bearings last replaced at 150,000 miles
On my 3rd suspension, including all the rubber bits, last replaced at 162,000 miles
On my 3rd set of belts and hoses
On my 2nd diff replaced at 80,000 miles
On my 2nd oil cooler replaced at 75,000 miles
On my 2nd HP VANOS line replaced at 150,000 miles
On my 2nd water pump, radiator, thermostat, temp sensor, and expansion tank replaced at 169,000 miles
On my 2nd clutch and transmission, replaced at 157,000 miles
On my 2nd fuel pump -- can't remember when it was replaced

PCV valves...oh yeah, I just did those too. So many things I've done, but have forgotten! Getting old sucks.

I've lost count spark plugs, coils, brakes, rotors, oil changes, tires, and many other things.

I am on my original throttle actuators at 169,000 miles.

These cars can be expensive, if you don't have 1) a good Indy, or 2) mechanical DIY.

For me, I have the mechanical DIY skills, but lack the time or the tools. I have a good Indy shop I use for maintenance.

When I do my math, my Indy's hourly rate is cheaper than my "hourly rate" to do the maintenance myself. The opportunity cost for me to pay someone else is cheaper.
And I just replaced another set of spark plugs and my throttle actuators finally kicked the bucket. See my thread below:

·
Registered
467 Posts
They are only major problems if the owner 1) let minor problems become major problems, 2) lacks mechanical know how, or 3) lacks the financial means.

I’m speaking from 150,000+ miles of daily driving — not from some idiot-expert on YouTube that’s only owned the car for heartbeat.

Unfortunately, the used s85 market is a mine field of neglected cars with spotty histories from under capitalized Ballers on Beer Budgets, while best examples of s85s never trade hands.
YUP! Sooooo true! 🤣 🤣 🤣 .. Some of these "would be" buyers don't ever look at it at face value and blinded by the current sticker price - you are getting into an almost 100K car! I first attacked the maintenance for a couple of years. Now that most of that has been squared away (there is always something lurking you would not know), I'm enjoying modding it.. loving it! One thing I did was to hit two birds with one stone - PM's and modding at the same time.. stuff like thrust bushings replaced with monoballs, fuel filter replaced and did an E85 hi flow fuel pump upgrade at the same time, etc, etc..

·
Registered
339 Posts
On the E38 forum they have a buyers guide with all the common problems to watch out for. I think for this platform like the E38 mileage really doesn't matter any more because of age. Anything over 50k and if it hasn't been done it will need to be done. Of course it may not be necessary but why risk it?
If you have done your research you will understand that there are several potential $5,000 problems that can hit you. Even worse those same problems will take the car out of service. The cost can be mitigated by DIY but they are very complex jobs that require special tools and a high level of skill. I paid 11k for my car with a recent clutch and rod bearing replacement. Due to my research I understood that I could spend that much again with one push of the button.
With all of that said you will not find a platform that will compare to this car. It's like have a super car with four comfortable seats. Just look at what was offered in a super car of the same vintage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the E38 forum they have a buyers guide with all the common problems to watch out for. I think for this platform like the E38 mileage really doesn't matter any more because of age. Anything over 50k and if it hasn't been done it will need to be done. Of course it may not be necessary but why risk it?
If you have done your research you will understand that there are several potential $5,000 problems that can hit you. Even worse those same problems will take the car out of service. The cost can be mitigated by DIY but they are very complex jobs that require special tools and a high level of skill. I paid 11k for my car with a recent clutch and rod bearing replacement. Due to my research I understood that I could spend that much again with one push of the button.
With all of that said you will not find a platform that will compare to this car. It's like have a super car with four comfortable seats. Just look at what was offered in a super car of the same vintage?
What about an M3 E92? I honestly like the E60s way more than an M3, but looking forward, having an M5 will cost more money in a long way than paying around 10k more for an E90. Looking in different websites comparing prices, millage and past owners I wasn’t able to find any good deal. I found E60s with over 100k miles with 7 past owners, i understand the potential problems i can get with these cars, but I definitely don’t want to have a car that will break down after 15k miles.
Lets do a quick comparison in what should be a better deal:
1) I found a 6 speed-Manual bmw m5 E60 for around $15k with over 90k miles, all the maintenance well done and a car in a mint condition; keeping in mind that it won’t be a daily driver car, using it 2-3 days a week and keeping it in a good shape, all the maintenance in time. After how long or after how many miles should I expect the first major problems?...
2) I found a 7- Automatic transmission bmw E92 2011 for around $28k with less than 50k miles, and exactly the same conditions as the M5. Should I expect more problems with this car than the M5?, are those $13k more worth it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
What about an M3 E92? I honestly like the E60s way more than an M3, but looking forward, having an M5 will cost more money in a long way than paying around 10k more for an E90. Looking in different websites comparing prices, millage and past owners I wasn’t able to find any good deal. I found E60s with over 100k miles with 7 past owners, i understand the potential problems i can get with these cars, but I definitely don’t want to have a car that will break down after 15k miles.
1) I found a 6 speed-Manual bmw m5 E60 for around $15k with over 90k miles, all the maintenance well done and a car in a mint condition; keeping in mind that it won’t be a daily driver car, using it 2-3 days a week and keeping it in a good shape, all the maintenance in time. After how long or after how many miles should I expect the first major problems?...
2) I found a 7- Automatic transmission bmw E92 2011 for around $28k with less than 50k miles, and exactly the same conditions as the M5. Should I expect more problems with this car than the M5?, are those $13k more worth it?
The S65 in the E9x has the same issues as the M5 when it comes to rod bearings and throttle actuators. S65 main bearings are also weaker than the S85's apparently. AFAIK there are basically no VANOS issues with the S65 though, and the DCT will be much less problematic than the SMGIII. With a 6MT M5 obviously you won't have to worry about SMG problems though. I would go M5, but I'm a bit biased... :) Nothing replaces the V10 for me personally.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I'm trying to save an 06 car right now and it's been a project and a half. The previous owner ran it completely into the ground and then traded it in. I think everything that can go wrong on these is wrong with this one, and that's on top of all the regular maintenance that I have to get to after I fix that stuff like tires, brakes, etc.

Luckily for me this is a project car and not my DD or even my fun car so I can take it at whatever pace I need to.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I'm trying to save an 06 car right now and it's been a project and a half. The previous owner ran it completely into the ground and then traded it in. I think everything that can go wrong on these is wrong with this one, and that's on top of all the regular maintenance that I have to get to after I fix that stuff like tires, brakes, etc.

Luckily for me this is a project car and not my DD or even my fun car so I can take it at whatever pace I need to.
What is really cool, as I’ve previously mentioned in some of the recent threads, we are starting to see more enthusiast “saving” these cars.

I would argue that these cars are finally falling into the right hands.

In the early days, no one on e60/e63 board even knew how to use realoem for part numbers. Every other thread was about “exhaust, spacers, wheels, and a drop.” Next, threads evolved into “For Sale parting-out mods — because I’m about to return my rental car”. After that came, “I bought this baller v10, the internet said it’s junk and need to dump it!” Now, we’re starting to see the enthusiast bring these things back to life!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm all about the preservation of these special cars and motors. If I ever win mega millions I'd buy some huge acreage out in Texas for Car sanctuary. A nice safe space for these once mighty behemoths to roam wild on salt free tarmac. No Karen's in their suburba-tanks veering into my lane texting while driving. Where the 93 flows freely, emissions don't matter, and no speed signs and over-zealous enforcement to hamper 200 mph speedometers on sunny private property roads.

Maybe I'll start a go-fund-me or a kick-starter...

For the OP you really need to determine what body style you want. The M5 is the most practical and I'd argue easiest to work on, M6 coupe is the lightest and thus fastest, the M6 vert lets you listen to the exhaust most uninhibited. Regardless, 6 speed is the way to go.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep, usually I buy little cool things like a 2003 325xi Mystic Blue which had messed up axles, knuckles, bearings, etc. It needed a whole suspension update. After fixing it up and changing the head gasket and cleaning it I sold it in better shape than I received.

Same thing with the M5. Given it's a more rare Indianapolis Red fully packaged with split rear seats, excluding soft close doors. Changed the bearings, mounts, vanos line, and other maintenance items like plugs and fluids. If I don't keep it forever, the next person will receive a well maintained example.

We are merely custodians.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I started out 5 years ago looking at E92 M3's, it wasn' and 8 years since I first started looking at E39 M5s. It wasn't that clear to me back then what the root cause of the engine S65 issues were, but was waiting for prices to get in to the low 30s upper 20s. Over that time I realized that M5s were a better deal mainly due to the fact that they do have alot more problems and are more expensive to address. That's why the M3's are "more expensive", the fact that they are newer is a bit of a contributor as well as the fact that M3s are cars that folks "step into" as a euro performance sedan.

M5/M6s have are easily 8-10+ things that will need to be addressed given age and mileage. 5 of them seem to cost 2-5k to address by an indy. It's true that alot of cars need a new starter at 100k+ miles, but most cars don't require 8+ hours of labor. Some of the issues are just stupid BMW wide issues, like self destructing rubber and plastic, like the window moldings on the windshield and back glass. There's really no excuse for that, but it will cost you if you want to "maintain it properly". I have 3 M5s so I know abit about this. I would not pay over 20k for one unless it was in 9/10 condition and at least 3 of the major things addressed.

I'd stay away from anything earlier than a 2008 (those are pre LCI cars) I'd also avoid an SMG. It will be much cheaper for you in the long run. If you can't DIY, then you should stay away from the M5/M6, or put away 8-10k for repairs that you will likely face in the first 30k miles you add on. If you do DIY then you may be able to get away with 4k if you buy parts carefully.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Using your numbers I would buy the M5, it is a rare car and you would have money left over for some of that maintenance. Come on it's a 507hp V10 luxury sedan. And on another note I have worked on 3, 5 and 7 series cars, they are not built the same. An E46 M3 rips the strut towers out in track duty. I have tracked my E38 740il with no complaints other than weight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts