BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved the look of the '95 to '99 M3, though I've never driven one. Nowadays you can get 'em for around $18K, so I'm wondering if I should get one to accompany my '01 M5. Do you think I will be utterly disappointed with 240 hp after driving a M5, or will I think it's tons of fun to drive? Should I pay more for a chipped or supercharged car? Any advice from those who know both cars?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Norgeiron said:
I've always loved the look of the '95 to '99 M3, though I've never driven one. Nowadays you can get 'em for around $18K, so I'm wondering if I should get one to accompany my '01 M5. Do you think I will be utterly disappointed with 240 hp after driving a M5, or will I think it's tons of fun to drive? Should I pay more for a chipped or supercharged car? Any advice from those who know both cars?
I have a 98 M3 and absolutely love it. I don't think there is any way you could possibly be dissapointed with the E36 M3. I still marvel at the fact that it is rated at only 240hp. It sure doesn't feel like it. Mine has a lot of Dinan stuff on it, but not the supercharger. I still don't know if I will ever want to do it or not. The E36 M3 is also a torque monster, but loves to rev. I love the way the thing just takes off. I don't have an M5, but the Z8 is pretty much the same when it comes to power delivery. Personally, I think the M3 is a little bit more fun to drive than the 8. That could be because I'm always a nervous wreck driving the 8. Too many people want to touch it, and when I'm on the street they start staring at it and come right into my lane.

I hope this helps you some. I bought my M3 brand new in 98. The reason I still have the it is because I love that car so much I don't think I could let it go. Good luck and happy motoring. :M5rev:

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can get a '95 for $10-13k - and I have seen reasonable mileage '98's at $15-18k. I have seen some cherry ones at dealers in the high teens low twenties.

I drove an E36 M3 for a short time back in 1996. It was a 1995 model and I agree with Chris - it doesn't feel like 240hp - it feels more like 280+.

It is very fun to drive - and as some of the others have posted on my Track car thread - a few simple mods can bring you 300hp.

I am def. in the market now for one - and am more stoked each day to find one. They are a real hoot to drive and for the money - you just can't beat the fun factor....

B

·
0 Posts
I used to own a '95 coupe and a '98 convertible. They are great cars, and I am sure that you will have a blast. Just note, that although they have a lot of power, if you run into something fast, you may have a hard time beating it.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a 95 that I use for commuting and 6-7 D/Es per year. It is a fantastic car. Not as comfortable as an M5, nor as fast but it's a heck of a lot more tossable. Mine has a TC Kline Trackline suspension with Ground Control spherical bushings, TMS swaybars, lightweight flywheel, intake, oversize MAF, Conforti software, headers from a 96 and a debaffled muffler. It dynos ~270 HP to the flywheel. I bought it 3 years ago for $13K with 75K miles on it. It has over 100K miles on it now and I am going to have to do subframe bushings soon.

I love mine so much that I am selling my 2002 330i 5 Spd instead.

Regards

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gustav said:
If you were considering a European M3 with 321 HP I would say yes, but now I say no :biggrin:
Yeah, Gustav, it's too bad we got the detuned model in the American market--can't believe BMW did that. However, all these guys that replied to my question seem to love their cars anyway, and I take that as a big thumbs up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts