BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently thinking about going 3.8.

However, I find the 3.6 (in good health) is actually a very quick car, quicker than a e39 540i auto.

Ive done a search trying to find threads of 3.6 vs 3.8 but havent had any luck so far.

Is there really alot of difference? Is it worth me selling my excellent 3.6 and then go hunting for a decent 3.8?

What will the differences be?

IS the 3.8 significantly faster than a 3.6 or does it just feel faster? Its only roughly 8% more powerful than a 3.6 but I understand the 3.8 makes 3.6 peak torque at 2000rpm!

The 0-60 times are within 0.3 second, whats the 1/4 mile time differences and 0-100?

Remember, its not that easy to sell an M5 and then even harder to go and buy one which is as good as the one ive already got. Is it worth the effort?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cyrus said:

----------------
Cyrus

do a search for the folowing thread
(it has some interesting info on it).

"Diffent engines M5 E34"

Rgds
J

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:

However, I find the 3.6 (in good health) is actually a very quick car, quicker than a e39 540i auto.

Ive done a search trying to find threads of 3.6 vs 3.8 but havent had any luck so far.

Is there really alot of difference? Is it worth me selling my excellent 3.6 and then go hunting for a decent 3.8?

What will the differences be?

IS the 3.8 significantly faster than a 3.6 or does it just feel faster? Its only roughly 8% more powerful than a 3.6 but I understand the 3.8 makes 3.6 peak torque at 2000rpm!

The 0-60 times are within 0.3 second, whats the 1/4 mile time differences and 0-100?

Remember, its not that easy to sell an M5 and then even harder to go and buy one which is as good as the one ive already got. Is it worth the effort?
Hi Cyrus
You certainly enjoy making life interesting for yourself M8...
Ive driven both & you know I have a 3.8
Reality of it is that all out pedal to metal, there is not much in it but a gap opens & remains after 160kph.(Its a cigarette wrapper in terms of gaps though)
Biggest difference IMHO is the part throttle pickup in the higher gears so you get improved driveability.

The killer is maintaining EDC which is the biggest cost difference I believe.

If you have a good 3.6 then I would hold onto it.Getting anything good when it comes to E34 M5's as a general marque is like trying to find hens teeth...

You could even be lucky to get a 3.8 from someone on the forum who has run the car properly & built up a big wodge of bills, but as we all know with these things, faults just appear with some of the parts & EDC dampers can just start to leak & thats it.
It happened to me.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies guys,

I walked into Bexley Motor Works today and noticed April BMWcar magazine (or was it total BMW?). They have a special M power feature in which the E34 M5 is looked at in detail.

After reading that I have decided against going for a 3.8 due to the amount of things that can go wrong including the bloody EDC! I'm also hearing more and more stories of pistons going where they shouldn't....ie outside of the block!

In gear acceleration isnt something I need to worry about seeing its a manual car, I can just drop down a cog and put my foot down.

Seeing as Farrel knows his stuff and his driven both and there isnt alot in them, the 3.6 stays!

My current one has so little wrong with it its unreal, just need to sort out the resonator flap and get some disks and pads and it will be 100%.

I will be getting a set of cams, a proper remap (unichip), an Eismann exhaust and possibly some bigger throttle bodies from Bexleys in the near future to get some more grunt out of it.

Thanks for the info! You probably saved me loads of agro.

·
Registered
45 Posts
jeez ... some people ... i wish we had the 3.8 option readily available here in the US :D

you made the best choice there, man. keep your car and stick with the 3.6L. it's great motor with many great options for upgrades.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Keep the 3.6!!!!!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just read the Total BMW E34 M5 buying guide which gives the beast a glowing reference. The article also compares the 3.6 to the 3.8 engine. I guess someone reading it would have the impression that the 3.8 was a fragile engine likely to go pop. I read the same thing in another BMW car mag some time ago. I may be wrong but having been reading posts on this and other websites I've not read much on problems with the 3.8 lump. Others may disagree? Anyway I'm hoping that changing the oil every 3k ie half the 6k the article refers to (which I've done for around 40k of the cars 104k mileage) will keep the gremlins at bay.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Gop-Dogg said:
You're just wasting money and oil.
Each to his own but the proof as they say will be in the pudding!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My current M5 has had its engine oil changed every month! When Bexleys opened the oil filler cap and looked inside they said "bloody hell, thats like new in there!"

I know every month was a bit excessive but there no harm in changing oil alot sooner.

I'm still keeping the 3.6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts