BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just did a search and see that BMW p/n 36-31-1-454-963 is the recommended short valve stem. RealOEM shows it ended but has BMW p/n 36-31-7-653-064 in its place.

Does anybody know if this is as short or can anybody recommend where a good short one can be found?

Bigger is not always better...:thumbsup:

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
As of last fall, I was still able to get these stems easily through my local dealer. You have to use the short ones or the stems will blow out. In fact, even with the short stem I have blown 3 stems. I have now switched to fixed metal drag racing style stems and no issues.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, TC put the metal stems on my car, and I'm very happy with them! Looks cool, and gives a great piece of mind. That reminds me, T... I want to carry an extra with me in the car!
Doug, so TC is a dealer in MA? How do I get them?

Thanks...

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Tire Rack - $ 3.00 each.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delayed response. I am not a dealer, just a shop that offers aftermarket modifications and repair to sports oriented vehicles. I actually purchased them thru a race speciality shop. I will try to get the information to you by tmw pm. You have to be sure to get the stem that fits the stem hole on the M5. Once you put these on, no worries abt blowouts again.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have some short aluminum type that have been working great over the last few years. I'll look for who made them again, I thought we had a topic like this before but I can't find it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Well, I have been super tied up this week, but I managed to find the BMW part # for the short M5 stems: 31-31-1-454-963-D-15. List on these as of last fall was $3.30 a stem. All this being said, the metal dixed stems do offer much more piece of mind. No more blow outs since (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am going to use the same metal stems BMW uses for the tire pressure monitoring systems. Checked them out today on one of my new rims and they looked great. Perfect colour match and they will not flex and scrape the wheel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm picking up my car in a few minutes and had the BMW (36 12 1 119 332) metal stems put in today. I can post a photo later if anyone wants.

-D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts