BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm sure you hate reading these posts. But I have a problem - I only have a day or two on one of these M6 cars to make a purchase decision. I'm looking for and at 6 speed gearbox cars, preferably '08 to '10 cars due to their LCI updates. A V10 M6 has been on my bucket list ever since the day they were released. I would like to own and drive one of these cars while I still can. I'm retired/disabled and don't drive much these days, so whatever I buy, I won't be putting many miles on the car unless I get the ability to take a road trip or to visit distant friends or go to O'fest somewhere. So when it comes time to relinquish my manual gearbox footwork driving, the car I buy may be in the same condition as to when I purchased it. I'm also concerned about retaining value so that when I do have to sell, I'll hopefully get some of my funds back. I know I'll need them for health care eventually. So what I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with is telling me if these values are good or bad. Or if I should keep on waiting for something to come along. A few weeks ago I came across a unicorn. It was a 2010 black convertible with 9600 miles one owner car. I was talking to the dealer and asking about extended warranties, when I should have just given him my credit card as a deposit. I hung up the phone and called back a few minutes later and another guy got his deposit in 3 minutes before me. It sold for $35,800. I didn't know what I had found. My gut said give him my CC and ask about warranties later. Oh well. That has lead me to not wanting to miss the next unicorn.

Here are three cars that I like and would be willing to buy. The three dealers have given me their "best" price, which I have to assume for the moment that these are the bottom line numbers. They are all 6spd cars, two are convertibles and one is a coupe.

The first is a '09 black coupe over Portland Brown leather with 86k miles on it and three previous owners. The production date is approximately 03/09. If you follow BAT it was auctioned last October for $20,250 plus 5% buyer's premium. The dealer is asking $33k and has given me a bottom line price of $28,500. The color combination is very nice and the dealer is giving me a deal since this is my bucket list car. Cost to ship enclosed to me around $1,500 so total $30k plus tax.

The second car is a convertible '08 black over a lighter shade of tan. Really bold contrast that may be stunning in person or not. Probably a love or hate combo. The dealer is asking $35k and has given me a bottom line number of $29k plus about $1,500 shipping for a total of $30,500 plus tax. This car is a 10/07 or 09/07 production date car. It has 46k miles on it and it has been sitting pretty idle for the last 2 years. It had two previous owners though Carfax says one owner. The original dealer might have used the car for the first couple years. Regarding sitting around probably not necessarily a good thing, but if started and warmed up regularly, might not be an issue.

The third and last car is also an '08 convertible; this one white over Portland Brown. Hard to tell if this color combo is a good one or not. This car only has 21k miles on it with three previous owners. The car was driven consistently over the years, just not a lot of miles. This car has a 03/08 production date, so some LCI updates to near gen 3 motor though probably not the full set of updates. I won't be able to check this without having the car examined and some disassembly to be able to read the motor vin information. This car is the one that the local BMW dealership wants to buy. So I don't have more than a day or two to make a decision. The asking price is $33,700 with a bottom line number of $32k. The dealer that has the car is a wholesaler and normally sells to dealerships. Shipping for this car will be $2,500 enclosed trailer. So a total price of $34,500 plus tax.

So in summary including shipping:

a '09 coupe with an approximate 03/09 production date, black over Portland brown, 86k miles - $30,000.

a '08 convertible with an approximate 10/07 production date, black over tan, 46k miles - $30,500.

a '08 convertible with a 03/08 production date, white over Portland brown, 21k miles - $34,500.

What do you guys think? Are these prices too high? Should I keep on looking? I've found about a dozen other 6spd cars, but some are '06 and '07 without the LCI production updates. Some have real high mileage without having the rod bearing replaced. Or they have a salvage title, which I won't touch even though they are priced in the $ teens. I don't know that I will find another unicorn like the 2010 car I mentioned. Whatever advice you give me, I can use for other cars besides the three above. So this discussion will help me tremendously. So I'll thank you guys in advance. Please give me your thoughts and advice.

Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
747 Posts
my 2 cents is that the M6s are way over valued especially vs the M5s. I guess it is supply vs demand though. I bought 3 LCI M5s for less than $38k, one of them was a manual. I do agree that the 2010 with under 10k miles was quite rare, but you should buy to enjoy first. But you really want one, and so you should do it and enjoy life and the car.

Collectibility should come second especially since future appreciation is really speculation. The other real thing to consider is that these cars are EXPENSIVE to maintain unless you are a DIY'r. the 6 speed will save you 5k in future repair, but that should already priced in to the value of the car. Every now and then people spot a 6sp which is mis-priced as what a SMG would cost. That's how I got my first M5.

Coupe vs convertible is a really big question. Not sure that you have told us what your real preference is. You can't say it doesn't matter. How often will you put the top down? I have 2 convertibles when I lived in NorCal. I hardly put the top down ever.

The '09 with 86k miles will likely need more things to be fixed soon. At this mileage up to 100k, it is not uncommon to need new coils, spark plugs, rod bearings, vanos hose, fuel filter, maybe throttle actuators, maybe idle actuators, PCV valves. Manual clutches and flywheels tend to hold up well past 100k miles from what I've read. Those '08's with a fraction of the miles probably won't need any of those, with the exception of rod bearings which have been known to fail/show excessive wear at those mileages on M5s and M3s (the S65 engine shares the same design for bearings).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unless the rod bearings have been done on the first two, I think the prices are too high. It would be hard for you to recoup your money in the future even if you barely put any miles on either of them. If I was looking at spending $30k+ for one of these cars I would take a 100k mile example with a well documented service history (to include rod bearings) over a 50k mile example without.

The third example would likely hold its current value as long as the miles are kept low (under 35k), but it still a lot of money and in my opinion more risk for losing value compared to a coupe as coupes tend to be in more demand as the years go on (think 911, F355, etc)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Flitzr951. None of the cars have had their RB replaced. The '09 might have the different 702/703 RB if in fact the gen 3 motors received those RB's. The 03/08 white car may or may not have those bearings. Which could be a positive since they are a little softer material which shows up in Blackstone reports.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The other way to look at it is that the cost of doing rod bearings is basically built in to the price of the first two cars since the third "shouldn't" need them and the premium for the lower mile car is a bit above the cost of having them done. The more I think about it the more I think you should go with one of the first two and just have the bearings done. That third one is low miles, but I don't think it is low enough to command a crazy price should these things increase in value, especially if it is sitting around 30k miles without the bearings being done. Not to pour lemon juice on your paper cut, but if it was that first one you missed out on I would say go for it, but that 21k mile '08 is not in the same category as a '10 with under 10k miles.

·
Registered
2010 BMW M6 Convertible (E64) 6MT with 10K miles! Black on Black with Carbon Fiber Trim.
8 Posts
Sorry Dennis, that guy was me... I had been looking for almost 3 years for a 2010 M5 6MT, but everything was high miles, SMG and/or overpriced. When the M6 came up with under 10K miles, I knew I had to jump fast or it would be gone! It's now comfortable in CO after a great drive home.

Having researched these cars, I recommend low miles, especially if the rod bearings have not been replaced. All private owners want more than their car is worth, especially with the maintenance costs of these cars, which is why I never found what I was looking for. Go for low miles or a low price and swap in a Dinan Stroker (about $10K).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maldermania, damn you. I had no idea what type of Unicorn that car was. If I had known, I think I would have beat you to the line. But that's ok, I'm glad a Colorado guy got the car. I lived in the Denver area for 30 years up until 2010. So how do you like the black beauty? Any issues or concerns with such a low mileage car? Jumping in and driving home must have been a little scary. I've found a replacement for your car so I forgive you for stealing this one. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2010 BMW M6 Convertible (E64) 6MT with 10K miles! Black on Black with Carbon Fiber Trim.
8 Posts
She is awesome. Runs like a champ and no issues. The dealership did a great job getting it ready. I had no concerns.

Enjoy your beast!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More of a unicorn. What would be real nice is if we had a database of how many 6 speed cars were made in the four years they were available by year. Then a bonus would be colors as well. But going through 700 + pages of Mdecoder data would be time consuming to say the least. Then I know there are wrecked cars that may be scraped or rebuilt with salvage titles. So hard to get a current accurate count of these rare beasts still in the wild. Does anyone know if the VIN numbers for 6 speed cars is sequential or if they are in the same population of SMG car VINs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts