BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I done a short shift conversion on my E30. I used the Z3 2.8 Lever. The result.....brilliant!

At the same time I had the propshaft out on the M5 and it was up on axle stands. I decided to get under there and do a bit of measuring.

It turns out that the distance between the Pivot ball and selector rod is exactly the same as that of a standard E30.

The shape of the lever is very very similar to that of an E30.

The Pivot ball size is also exactly the same.

Therefore the Z3 1.9 or the 2.8 gear lever will go straight in.

The only thing you may have to do is slightly bend the selector rod upwards, you have to do this on an E30. Its only a small amount of bending and not enough to cause any weakening of the selector rod.

You can also use the Z4 Lever, its shorter in height and even shorter but will be quite Notchy.

There you go......some research done in the name of the E34 M5!

I doubt I shall be getting the UUC now as I cant see how it will be any better. Might just get the DSSR though.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep.

Ordering it today. I will be ordering both the 1.9 and 2.8 levers to see what both are like.

Will give a review once they are in.

Sal

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:
Whats gear clash?
Gear clash is where you dont fully engage the gears when the clutch is depressed. If the pivot ratio of the throw is not quite right, then you get a clash of gear sets as you select from one ratio to another.

It feels similar to a badly baulked gear change but the gear does engage.

Hard to explain but easy to feel.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will not bother with the 2.8 one then! I think I get this feeling on the E30 so better change that aswell.

The 1.9 lever is significatnly shorter than stock so it should do quite nicely and its very smooth aswell.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

Just an update - I fitted the Z3 1.9 shifter last night. It sits perfectly in the middle, its around 1.5cm lower down now and the shift is alot shorter and much much nicer to use.

It took me a total of 1 hour from when I jacked the car up, most of the was used on actually getting the lever out as the old plastic ball holder was totally jammed and I had to break it out.

I also have a 2.8 one which I am going to try - It might be that little bit too short though.

As far as the Z3 1.9 is concerned its brilliant to use- very smooth, no gear clash.......fantastic cheap upgrade which cost me a total of £44 inclusing new clips wahser and the plastic holder.

Its like driving a new car!

That bit of research I hope will make alot of you very happy and will also save you absolutely loads of money.....£44!!!

Oh, and even the most basic mechanically minded person can do this. Nothing has to come out, its so easy to do.

I will post up the part numbers required when I next week when I bring the invoice to my office.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:
Anyone goin go try this??

Its brilliant!
Hi Cyrus
Im interested in the conversion.
What are the pt nrs.
I have just set up a trade agreement with Lind BMW in Chelmsford.
The parts manager has extended this offer to ALL M5 Board forum members in what I would describe as the best discounts I have seen from a local dealer in yrs.

Thanks should be extended to Yewcorner for this.
Once Lind realised that Wiliam Jacks were prepared to offer such excellent service on pts, they have come up with the goods.

15% on average with some high cost items seeing 20% from what they are saying. They are willing to get involved in Group Buys...!
Cant say that I feel the same way from recent experience but there you go.

Due to Linds location nr Chelmsford, It wont encroach on William Jacks M5 Board customers within the Thames Valley area so that means most of the south east of England can now get some decent prices.

A bit off thread but though it worth mentioning.

Farrell

·
Registered
678 Posts
Farrell,

That's really useful to know with regard to Lind's Parts Prices.

I managed to secure 20% off the price of front discs and pads from Willam Jacks' PArts Dept. recently - (Thanks to Brian for that assistance from a previous thread), but it's a bit of a trek from Hertfordshire.

A mate of mine who works at my firm lives in Braintree - so I could despatch him to Chelmsford to get parts from Lind in the future if discount levels are likely to be similar.

...that's what I like to see - the power of the m5board.com to the people !!

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is exactly why I threw my UUC shifter on ebay the second I bought the car. I knew one of the Z3 levers would work. Whats the part numbers? Can anyone make a little step by step installation procedure, Ive never messed with a shifter on a car newer than 1968?

Also my stock shifter seems kind of knotchy and tough, maybe it just needs some grease?

Those Z3 levers are like $40 at the dealer. The E39 540 guys used to do the same swap and they got diagrams of all the shifters and pn's.

I was just trying to find the article about it, I thought it was bmwtips.com but they either got rid of the article or it was a different e39 related website, hmmm

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Farrell,

Lind are good people.. I bought all of my parts for my E34 M from them and they are good bunch. This is in Ipswich, as they have Colchester also. So Prohaps this could be done accross the Lind Dealerships?!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
BURTON said:
Farrell,

Lind are good people.. I bought all of my parts for my E34 M from them and they are good bunch. This is in Ipswich, as they have Colchester also. So Prohaps this could be done accross the Lind Dealerships?!
No mate
Thats the whole problem with Lind.
They operate independantly of each other.
I used to buy bits at Colchester Lind from their pts manager, A chap called Dave.
Then I started questioning just how much I was spending & how little discount I had been receiving. Thanks again to Yewcorner.
I spent £3000 in parts over a 12 onth period & I was lucky to get 7.5 % overall.
Lind-Colchester a re a waste of time compared to their Chelmsford counterparts.

Thats how im seeing it.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep. Make sure you buy new circlips as they can break when removing them.

And be sure to buy yourself the plastic holder for the ball in the gear lever before attempting the job as it will most definately need to be smashed out. If you aint got one you aint got no gears. Be sure to also have some grease to lubricate the ball with otherwise its not going to be a nice gearshift.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts