BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has any experience installing any of these in their e34 m5 and if so their thoughts afterwards, and after some miles too. Wrote an email to RTD (like it the best) about fitment because e34 isnt listed 🤞🏻

Just tired of sloppiness in shifting, takes sooo much out of the driving experience. As of now i only ordered a UUC DSSR to replace the oem sear selector rod.

Hoping to hear that they actually fit our platform because id buy an RTD short shifter right away.

Also, if there is another equally good option out there that i forgot to mention please tell me about it. I already refreshed all bushings and plastic in the shifter mechanism which didnt help much.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,325 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey thank you. I just emailed them as it seems, yet again, they dont list e34 m5 as a compatible platform. 🤞🏻

Still this is my daily/fun so i dunno that 1.2K for a racing shifter is the way to go but i have to do something about the flimsy shifter mechanism. It’s ridiculous.

Still waiting for a reply from RTD as its a more reasonably priced item yet it will most certainly get rid of the slop.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
CAE, IRP, RTD, and Samsonas in your subject line are all chassis mounted “race” shifters shifters. AAF is also a chassis mounted shifter. If you go that route will will also need to reinforce your transmission mounts, etc...

Additional chassis mounts:

If you’re looking for a less aggressive street solution from BMW, the z3 1.9L shifter should be plug and play. I still run that shifter in my e60m5, and I ran it in my previous generation m5s.

Another street solution, which I am thinking about for my e60m5:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i dont mind them being chassis mounted at all. The issue im finding is that most of these shifters dont list e34 as a compatible platform so needing confirmation from manufacturers that it will work.

Thanks for the few other linked options. I actually have a lever from another bmw (i wanna say x3 or something, cant recall now) installed which shortened the throw and changed the stick config a bit but did nothing as far as sloppiness and freeplay side to side especially. I am more interested in getting rid of this freeplay now rather the shortening throws, but if it does both so be it.

Is solid chassis mount the only way to achieve this? The garagistic you linked seems like it used same mechanics as our oem shifter or uuc shifter but with improved and alloy components. Have you tried either personally? I tried uuc and wasnt impressed really, felt notchy and almost harder to shift.

Anyway, neither AKG or Garagistic list e34 as compatible 🤷🏻‍♂️ and am not sure if Garagistic is just the actual shifter lever itself, and if so, how would that help with slop/freeplay? In fact it calls for replacing all other oem bushings, something i had already done and which didnt help much with the z3/x3 lever to be honest. Which is why i am here and at it again. So i guess my logic was moving away from the traditional oem design.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
I’m not much of a UUC fan.

I hear you on compatibility. I had to call to confirm as well. E28 track builds and e60m5 with 3 pedals are never off-the-shelf.

I only have experience with the z3, CAE, and AAF. For reference my e28m5 started with the 1.9L z3, “upgraded” to the e30 CAE, and “upgraded” to the e30 Race AAF. The CAE moved to my SpecE30 after I drove a SpecE46 with an AAF. The CAE is high quality, but the step up in engineering of the AAF is unmistakeable. It is easy to see where the extra money went into engineering development.

In both cases, there is ZERO slop, and very easy to shift. I just finished a 7 hour endurance race, max two hour stints for 3 drivers, (placed 2nd!!) none of us had issues with the CAE. The CAE is fantastic. The AAF just changed the game and elevated it to a new level.

I have zero experience with Garagistic.

AKG — I use their mounts in my e30 and e28.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered RTD because of price, no lockout, and no cutting or modding of car needed. Since its not a local shop who knows when i will get it. 362$+60$ international express shipping, so excited.

(May be older lockout version pictured)

I hope it works with UUC DSSR otherwise i have one for sale 😜

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Just ordered RTD because of price, no lockout, and no cutting or modding of car needed. Since its not a local shop who knows when i will get it. 362$+60$ international express shipping, so excited.

View attachment 944441
(May be older lockout version pictured)

I hope it works with UUC DSSR otherwise i have one for sale 😜
NICE!

@specialized2010 just ordered a CF one for his e60m5 6MT

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since its not a local shop who knows when i will get it.
In 2-3 weeks time, per RTD email.

I am thinking of mounting it over a thin layer/mat of silicone/poly to absorb some of the vibrations of the s38. Hope i dont have to do the transmission mounts and engine mounts because replaced with oem not too long ago, but if i haaaave to then thats a valid excuse..

·
Registered
785 Posts
NICE!

@specialized2010 just ordered a CF one for his e60m5 6MT
Its been 2 weeks for me. Time flies. I emailed 2 days ago just to check and havent gotten a response. Hopefully I recieve it soon. I was told 2-3 weeks as well. I asked for the 360mm tall version. Hopefully it turns out great.

Reactions: stija

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been using a UUC short shifter (first gen) in my E34 M5 for the past 20 years and have no problems with it. Still works great.

Reactions: stija
1 - 11 of 11 Posts