BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a weekend back I changed my shifter for my car and I took pictures and here is DIY for it.

So the whole process took me about 2 hours and I highly recommend if you can have at least two people do it. I am a big dude but I still needed help lowering and then picking the exhaust back up since it is one single piece.

Tools: E12 Bolt, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm 3 stands

Tools.JPG

2.JPG

The first step is to raise the car up and loosen the 4 bolts that hold the exhaust to the headers. Two on the left and two on the right.

3.JPG

Then you will remove the 6 bolts that hold the connecting support up. At this time you need to put up the three exhausts stands to hold the exhaust up from this point.

4.JPG

Then you need to remove the bolts on either side that holds the pull rods to the connecting support.

10.JPG

6.JPG

Then you will remove the two bolts that hold the first of the three exhaust hangers up on the right and the left. Make sure you remember to put the ground cable back on when you put it back!!!

5.JPG

7.JPG

Then you will remove the two blots on the right and left that hold the last exhaust hangers.

8.JPG

Next you need to remove the three heat shield panels that cover the transmission and drive shaft.

11.JPG

12.JPG

I need to change my O2 sensors…….soon……

13.JPG

16.JPG

Remove the pin that holds the shifter to the selector rod. Then slide the shifter out.

17.JPG

Lay the exhaust down and lower the car enough to where you can get in and take the knob off then the foam insert then the rubber boot on the shifter.

15.JPG

This next part is tricky. You have to line up the white plastic piece and use the two opens and pop it out. It took me a while to get this part done.

18.JPG

Once it is out you can place the plastic piece on the new shifter and put it back in the selector rod.

19.JPG

20.JPG

Once all of this is done just do the directions in the reverse order to put it back together and bam you saved you some money :goldcup:. If you have any questions just ask.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Q ~

So? What do you think? Is that the z3 1.9L shifter?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Curious too which shift this is and your impressions.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the shifter much better. It is smooth and does not take much to go between the gears. The only thing is that I need to replace the factory knob because it is long and bulky compared to the ZHP knob which I am going to replace it with. Over all I am happy with this mod. Yes it is the z3 1.9L shifter. I recommend that people do this mod.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I like the shifter much better. It is smooth and does not take much to go between the gears. The only thing is that I need to replace the factory knob because it is long and bulky compared to the ZHP knob which I am going to replace it with. Over all I am happy with this mod. Yes it is the z3 1.9L shifter. I recommend that people do this mod.
I'm glad you like the z3 1.9L shifter. It really was a "must have" mod for the 6MT -- really transforms the car.

I have the ZHP knob in my e39 m5 and have another non-illuminated ZHP in my garage for the e60, but I was I was thinking of trying out the f10 m5 or 1M shift knob.

Have you seen them? I might give it a try.

Not my pictures: The f10 is illuminated (top) and 1M not illuminated (bottom).

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Added to DIY sticky, thanks.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do u have the parts #? I am planning to go to the dealership and put in an order for z3 1.9L shifter for my 07 M5. just wanted to make sure i get everything right. Thanks

·
Registered
5,793 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
So is this all i need? Part number 25 11 7 527 252? Do i need to order any other parts like SHIFTING ARM, Selector rod, pin and washers? thanks again

·
Registered
571 Posts
Damn I was thinking about this mod and if I realized you needed to drop the exhaust, I would of had it done when they installed my RPI GTS.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Opps. This is for e60s. I have an e39....
No worries. I have the same shifter in my e39, e60, and e28 m5s.

e39 you don't have to drop the exhaust.

e60 you have to drop the exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No worries. I have the same shifter in my e39, e60, and e28 m5s.

e39 you don't have to drop the exhaust.

e60 you have to drop the exhaust.
Hey! I noticed you have an Indonesian flag as your signature, are you an Indonesian?!?

Anyway, i bought a 2005 BMW 545i couple of months ago and eager to have the SSK installed in my car, so do I have to drop the exhaust? I dont have a hoist, will I be able to do it?'

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Hey! I noticed you have an Indonesian flag as your signature, are you an Indonesian?!?

Anyway, i bought a 2005 BMW 545i couple of months ago and eager to have the SSK installed in my car, so do I have to drop the exhaust? I dont have a hoist, will I be able to do it?'

Thanks!

Yes ...Indo, but born in the States. Wife is Portuguese/German, so our daughter is a colonial mutt! And my bahasa is benkok sometimes.

I’m not sure on how the exhaust is routed on the 545, but I had to drop the exhaust on the m5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts