BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with short shifter (UUC, Dinan, Rogue) installed, have you regretted installing it?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I hear good things about the UUC.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have Rogue and have not regretted it even for a second.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a 545i SSK and I regret that I didn't do it earlier!

Reactions: mailman

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have E60 short shifter and it's absolutely great. Go for it! You won't regret it:1:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
ANY SSK you've listed + E60 545i works. /thread

·
Registered
464 Posts
UUC + adjustable height = :applause:

·
Registered
164 Posts
A while back on a nicely prepped E34 540i six-speed I had a UUC SSK which I enjoyed at first, but eventually the often crunchy-feeling shifts began to really annoy me. Always felt a bit cheap, but they've probably been refined since then and different cars respond differently to an SSK.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
A minority opinion...I think the stock shifter (IF well-functioning) fits the character of the car well. I know what short shifters feel like as the M coupe had one as stock and I have driven an M5 with one. Perfect for the M coupe, but I didn't like as much with the M5. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A minority opinion...I think the stock shifter (IF well-functioning) fits the character of the car well. I know what short shifters feel like as the M coupe had one as stock and I have driven an M5 with one. Perfect for the M coupe, but I didn't like as much with the M5. Again, just my opinion.
Agreed, despite a lot of BMW manuals getting flack, I've thoroughly enjoyed the stock shifter and never thought "I could use a shorter throw." I actually tend to like my shifters slightly tall. This mod seems to be more a matter of personal preference and the application (i.e. the car). Also, as I get older I seem to like things a little less on the ragged edge.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I dont have a fancy UUC, Dinan or Rogue SSK but i have E60 SSK and i love it. Still waiting my ZHP knob.
Clutch stop + SSK is cheapest mod what you can have and improvement is huge!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have installed 545 shifter and zhp knob. Have to say, most of the time I would like the stock shifter back( may refit it ) as the 545 shifter is too notchy when the air temps are cold, gearbox cold etc and takes a good while to warm up. Have changed gearbox oil twice but doesn't help much.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Rogue shifter+weighted selector rod for over 5yrs. No issues, huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Have installed 545 shifter and zhp knob. Have to say, most of the time I would like the stock shifter back( may refit it ) as the 545 shifter is too notchy when the air temps are cold, gearbox cold etc and takes a good while to warm up. Have changed gearbox oil twice but doesn't help much.
I have the stock shifter and this is why I've kept it (so far). I've had shorter shifters in my life and it is sort of like most hot rodding "improvements" - there is always a trade off. Shorter shifters generally require higher effort and are notchier. The weighted knobs are popular because folks are trying to get smoother/easier shifts back (i.e. they want, as we all do, the best of both worlds). Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and your personal tolerance for the higher effort, etc. It is at this point, that someone will chime in and swear their short shifter's effort is no higher than stock, etc. I've driven an E60 equipped model (back to back with my own car) and while it feel more connected and sporty it is a bit notchier and higher effort...better than most aftermarket short shifters I've had in other cars, but still noticeable...it's just physics after all.

I've wondered lately if there are improvements to be seen just replacing some of the wear components on the stock shifter (assuming there are some to be replaced).

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
UUC and no regrets over around 100k miles. It is a personal preference, but the shorter throws and more precise feel to me are worth the slight increase in effort. There is no added noise or vibration in my setup. The shifter is a key part of how we interface with our cars, the other being the seats, steering wheel and pedals. I prefer manual transmissions because I enjoy the interface with having to shift on my own rather than have the car do it automatically for me. So if you enjoy manual transmissions, you will love the benefits of an SSK.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
UUC SSK + WSR

Only 'regret' was when I was lying on my back trying to get my fat fingers to do things via a small mirror! It was weird, but I had to completely rotate my body around to be able to create enough finger pressure to press the clips home.

I have hear that folks with notchy shifts due to fork wear will simply feel it more acutely with an SSK. Mine was put in about 120,000 miles ago.

:)

A

1 - 20 of 51 Posts