BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my M seems to be healthy! After a £180 visit to the dealer, I was thinking of a Short Shift for her. Does anyone have one or any experience with having one fitted or fitting one?

Thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not sure if this helps: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

I think if I was going to get one I'd get this one. I think Rob Levinson plays a big part in UCC and has this fitted to his touring, have a look here: http://www.robertlevinson.com/M5_Touring/

Cheers

Brian

BURTON said:
Now that my M seems to be healthy! After a £180 visit to the dealer, I was thinking of a Short Shift for her. Does anyone have one or any experience with having one fitted or fitting one?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
We offer a range of short shifters. Burton, what traits were you interested in having in your shifter? Perhaps that would make it easier to narrow down your decision and make the best purchase.

Travis

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a nicer feel, less of a throw and a good price. What are the G Power ones like?!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I ordered my Evo 3 Short Shift from UUC on Wednesday night. It was despatched yesterday, I hope to receive it soon.

I spoke to Rob on the phone, lovely bloke. He clearly has intimate knowledge of the M5s (I'm sure that's helped by owning one!)

I was also planning to order some of the uprated gearbox mounts, but they were out of stock for the moment unfortunately.

So far, excellent polite service and thanks to the exchange rate, great prices too!!

:wroom:

·
Vendor
619 Posts
AndyE said:
I spoke to Rob on the phone, lovely bloke. He clearly has intimate knowledge of the M5s (I'm sure that's helped by owning one!)
:) Thanks very much for your kind words.

I've actually got two M5s at the moment. Sometimes I think they follow me home like lost kittens. Very fast and exceptionally good-handling kittens, that is.

Exciting news for M5 owners... the DSSR is now available for the E34 M5 6-speed! Ideally you would fit it with the UUC Evo3 shifter, but it will make a huge improvement for any brand shifter, even the OE piece. For details, please see:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/dssr/

·
Registered
46 Posts
AndyE said:
I'll be fitting mine next week, I'll let you know. I get the impression it's a little bit fiddly.
Andy,

let us know how awkward it is to fit the DSSR.

Compared with a standard 6-speed, the UUC short shifter on mine is definitely a big step forward. Less lateral play would be even better!

Sam

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sam Thake said:
Andy,

Compared with a standard 6-speed, the UUC short shifter on mine is definitely a big step forward. Less lateral play would be even better!

Sam
Hi Sam

Did you get this fitted or was it on the car when you got it. I need a short shift for mine.

When I had the E30 M3 it did wonders for the car and even though I know it did not provide any more horsepower it made the car feel so much better.

brgds

Simon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Simonal said:
Hi Sam

Did you get this fitted or was it on the car when you got it. I need a short shift for mine.

When I had the E30 M3 it did wonders for the car and even though I know it did not provide any more horsepower it made the car feel so much better.

brgds

Simon
Simon,

It was on the car when I bought it; fitted in 2000 by the PO a few months after the main conversion.

I got straight out of my 540/6 into the M5 and it was like chalk and cheese.
All that's needed now is to tighten up the side-to-side movement.

What I'm not sure about is how much the DSSR will remove and how much is inherent in the transmission internally. Maybe Rob L will give us a view.

Sam

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Sam Thake said:
What I'm not sure about is how much the DSSR will remove and how much is inherent in the transmission internally. Maybe Rob L will give us a view.

Sam

It's approximately 75% external, 25% internal to the transmission:

Typically, total in-gear lateral free play is 1" - 1.75" measured at the top of the shifter. With the DSSR installed, that should drop to .5" or less.

The remainder is within the transmission and is not feasibly reduced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks Rob,

Rob Levinson said:
It's approximately 75% external, 25% internal to the transmission:

Typically, total in-gear lateral free play is 1" - 1.75" measured at the top of the shifter. With the DSSR installed, that should drop to .5" or less.

The remainder is within the transmission and is not feasibly reduced.
Mine is slightly under 1" in the 3rd-4th plane, maybe 1.2" in 5th-6th and getting on for 1.4" in 1st-2nd. Is that typical?

If so, it sounds a worthwhile mod, as long as fitting it isn't too much of a pain!

Sam

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Sam Thake said:
Thanks Rob,

Mine is slightly under 1" in the 3rd-4th plane, maybe 1.2" in 5th-6th and getting on for 1.4" in 1st-2nd. Is that typical?

If so, it sounds a worthwhile mod, as long as fitting it isn't too much of a pain!

Sam
That's typical. Some have more, some less.

Fitting the DSSR is very straightforward.

- Rob

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Sam Thake said:
Andy,
Sam
Sam

I didn't buy a DSSR (yet), but the EVO3 short shifter kit. I fitted that tonight.
Fitting the kit was easy enough. Took about two hours including lifting the car up and changing the gearbox mount bushes too.

What I do know now, is that fitting the DSSR would be easy. Just a case of popping the circlips off the existing selector rod, and replacing the rod and pins. Ten minutes of work once you're under the car, maybe?
No doubt the DSSR kit comes with new pins, washers and circlips, so it's an easy job.

Both of these jobs will to be easier if you remove the gearbox mount stay though, it's big and gets in the way. Obviously that's just a few bolts.

This (above) is no exaggeration. Mine has at least that much play, possibly more. I plan to sort this out next.

Oh, and remember not to fall asleep while you're lying under the car. I nearly did. hiha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.