BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's pretty odd that once you consider how many BMW's I have owned in the past few years, that I have never once owned any type of BMW specific diagnostic scanner. With the recent purchase of my '00 M5 that has an airbag/SRS light on-plus the fact that four other friends of mine own BMW's-I decided to see what would be the most cost effective solution that would work with all of our cars.

I know all about the Peake tools, but due to the fact that my friends and I have BMW's that run from 1988 up to 2004, we would have had to buy both Peake tools and the SRS reset tool-in the end, that wasn't cost effective. After some research, the Carsoft 6.5 compatible system seemed to do all we needed-works with all the BMW's we own, resets SRS/airbag lights, and does many other BMW specific functions such as coding, adaptation, etc.

Now I did not buy the geniune Carsoft system, but a compatible version from ebay. This seller sells his version for a few dollars more than the others, but offers better after the sale service in case you need it. Here is the link to the sellers auction: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtoolbox2661

I am not affiliated in any way with this seller, but there are a number of these out there and I just want to let others know which one is guaranteed to work with our M5's. You receive the hardware with both the underhood diagnostic port connector as well as the newer OBDII connector under the dash. It also includes a CD with installation and troubleshooting information, as well as the link to download the Carsoft 6.5 software. You will need a Windows based laptop with either a serial port, or a USB to serial adapter. I have many older Thinkpads lying around, so the ol trusty Thinkpad 600X I purchased off of ebay for $50 last year is doing the service.

So far, I have used the setup on my '00 M5 and '02 X5, and a friends '03 E46 M3. In every case, I was able to read all installed onboard modules and diagnostics and reset any error codes. Every error code has a short explanation telling what the fault is. Note that on my '00 M5, you must use the underhood diagnostic port for everything to work. On my '02 X5 and the '03 M3, the OBDII port under the dash worked fine.

The overall setup may be a bit more cumbersome than the smaller Peake Research tools, but you seem to be able to access much more information with this Carsoft compatible system. Plus, you don't have to spend the extra for the seperate Peake SRS reset tool-for $155, this has everything you need-as long as you already have your own Windows based laptop.

As stated before-no affiliation, just a very satisfied user passing along what will hopefully be some useful information.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It also includes a CD with installation and troubleshooting information, as well as the link to download the Carsoft 6.5 software.
:7:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I should have noted that you won't be using a legally licensed copy of Carsoft software, so if that bugs or worries you, then look elsewhere. But in reality, all you are buying is the compatible hardware that is compatible with the software...if the moderators see this post as a problem, then please remove it-I will definitely understand. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Does it have the ability to do data logging, or is it strictly an error read/reset tool?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
So far, I have used the setup on my '00 M5 and '02 X5, and a friends '03 E46 M3. In every case, I was able to read all installed onboard modules and diagnostics and reset any error codes. Every error code has a short explanation telling what the fault is. Note that on my '00 M5, you must use the underhood diagnostic port for everything to work. On my '02 X5 and the '03 M3, the OBDII port under the dash worked fine.

I use a cheap Actron ($90) and it does the same thing, plus it works inside the car rather than under the hood. I use it a lot more than my Peake as it tells me what the problem is on the readout rather than in a table in a book. I've also used it on a Porsche 996, an Excursion diesel, an MB G500, and an MB E320. My Peake does not work on any of those cars.

If you get the BMW/OBD software recall done for your '00, your carsoft may work inside the car as well. It's free.

Steve
00 M5

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it have the ability to do data logging, or is it strictly an error read/reset tool?
It will read live data, but I am not sure you can use it for data logging. More information on what all it can do is available on Carsoft's website.

·
Registered
601 Posts
can you add new divices to the I-bus???
modify the daytime runing light configs and such ??

·
Registered
601 Posts
was thinking about buying this set up so I can so my own maintience and all ... as well I need to tell the CAR .. ECU .. IBUS that it is OKAY to let the NAVIGATION talk for moe than 40 sec .. and as well the iPod play though the new 16:9 monitor radio for more than 40 sec ........ can I do this ...

also it would be nice to run the angel eyes during the day as my daylight running lights too .....

???

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
This is just a Chinese clone hack pirate copy of the Carsoft Scanner sold at less than 1/10 the cost. They can be found across the internet with some searching. It does a ton of stuff for $140, that's for sure.

The elm327 is a great $125 OBD2 USB-compliant troubleshooting PC app tool found on fleabay etc that does more than most other generic scanners for BMW. There's about 50 worldwide programmers who released impressive software that runs on this elm327 interface, so it's power and flexibility continues to develop. It is not BMW-specific though, so it doesn't have many of Carsoft's unique features.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just bought the Carsoft Hardware myself this week, delivered to my door for £38 inclusive, (courtesy of a member on another 5 series board, he shipped in a batch and is going to be offering the rest on e-bay). Will probably try and have a play with it this weekend.

Edit : Just found the software CD in the box as well :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Id be interested in knowing

where on ebay and how good is the software .. and connectors ..

car needs some audio mods ... finish the Nav install ... needs sound

if it will do that its worth the price !! :cheers:
let me know please ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts