BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car's shocks are finally shot at 66K miles. Hard clunking noise from the rear, especially during cold accelration. So, it's time to replace.

I was thinking about picking up a coilover set or going with the Dinan Stage 1 or 2. People say the Dinan Stage I has just about as much labor as Stage 2 and you get so much more out of the Stage 2 setup.

Right now, my options are between a coilover set or Dinan Stage 2.

What recommendations do you guys have? What experiences? Good and bad? Install difficulty?

I wouldn't mind if the car is dropped a bit :1:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
KW version 2 or Bilstein pss9's for coilovers and Dinan S2/S3 suspension get's my vote...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
agree with laidback on this one.

bilstein pss9
kw variant 2
dinan's are not available for europe, so no comment on those :3:

or iff you want a bit cheaper(couple off100$$) you can go with the

h&r coilovers
FK motorsport coilovers (dont know iff these are available in U.S)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was reading somewhere that to adjust the rear dampening on the KW's, you have to remove the shock. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I was reading somewhere that to adjust the rear dampening on the KW's, you have to remove the shock. Is this true?
searchfunction is your friend. anyway here you go

nope you dont have to remove the KW shock, but iff you want to adjust the shock, its major do it yourself time involved with it.:haha2:
  1. Remove the rear seats
  2. Remove the rear pilar covers
  3. Remove the rear deck
  4. if you have the rear sunshade, you'll have to first unattach that from the rear deck (3 10mm bolts)
  5. if you have m-audio or a subwoofer box (I do), you'll first need to remove those to get to the 10 mm bolts holding on the rear sunshade
  6. Remove the rear speakers
  7. Pull back insullation
  8. Remove soft rubber covering the shock mounts
  9. Do your adjustments
  10. If you can, take your car for a test ride NOW, before you put everything back together, otherwise it's:
  11. put everything back
  12. do test ride
  13. say *uck it, and keep with what you have or
  14. return to step 1
thats about it. piece off cake :hihi::hihi: NOTTTTT..

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I have PSS9s and I can't complain. Check out my thread when I was in your situation:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105192

Considering the fact that you are looking for a Dinan suspension, I would recommend you not going with H&R, as reviews from owners suggest they ride pretty stiff compared to stock. Dinan, in terms of ride quality, would come as close to stock as possible while improving handling dramatically. But for the price I'm happy with the PSS9, it suites my purpose.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Unless you want to be playing with the adjustments, I'd forego coilovers for street driving and even occasional track. Dinan has their packages dialed in right, and will probably work better than most coilover setups unless they're dialed in correctly. I've ridden in cars with both and the Dinan setup also has a more comfortable ride. And yes, get at least stage 2. If your car shows more wear on the outer edges of your front tires, get stage 3 so you get the camber plates. They are not too aggressive for street driving unless you do 90% freeway straight line driving and your current setup yields evenly wearing fronts or fronts that are wearing more rapidly on the inner edges.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

After doing some extensive reading on the board and around the Internet, I am going with the Dinan Stage 2/3. I have not checked the outer wear on my fronts, but once I do I'll know for certain whether Stage 2 or 3 is necessary.

Last time I checked, the wear on the fronts isn't that bad on the outside, so I believe Dinan Stage 2 is the way to go.

Thanks again :cheers:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Make sure the hard clunking noise isn't from worn differential bushings/guibo/sway bar brackets etc as well.

Jeff

uote=00M5MD;1243185]The car's shocks are finally shot at 66K miles. Hard clunking noise from the rear, especially during cold accelration. So, it's time to replace.

I was thinking about picking up a coilover set or going with the Dinan Stage 1 or 2. People say the Dinan Stage I has just about as much labor as Stage 2 and you get so much more out of the Stage 2 setup.

Right now, my options are between a coilover set or Dinan Stage 2.

What recommendations do you guys have? What experiences? Good and bad? Install difficulty?

I wouldn't mind if the car is dropped a bit :1:

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks![/quote]

·
Registered
451 Posts
I went for the Ground Control coilovers with camber plates and have not regretted the decision. I can adjust the camber for track days, put 275s on the front and raise and lower the ride height between my winter and summer set-ups in my driveway. The ride is very comfortable, albeit stiffer than stock but still good enough for a very comfortable ( and fast) 71/2 hour drive from Park City to Reno. Do a search- LSCMAN, whose posts and knowledge cannot be ignored, has contributed a lot on this board to the various suspension set-ups. :cheers:

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am quite happy with my Dinan setup. I recently had their camber plates and front sway bar installed. I do notice shaper turn in. I track my car several times a year and am happy with the way Dinan's suspension handles the 2 tons being transfered around the 4 corners. Another M5er that I know tracks his car very frequently and has gone from Dinan to AC Snitzer to Ground Control. He raves about GC's kit both on and off the track.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Could also be the exhaust bushings, especially the centre one - I had a knocking noise on acceleration - especially when cold.

They are pretty easy to replace too, don't want to fit your new suspension and still have a knock!

Best of luck,

Rihcie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts