BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the last 9+ years of M5 ownership and a year of X3, I have done about 90% of the work on the cars myself. Unless it is a part under $50 that I need immediately, I have avoided the local dealer, and buy all my parts from various 3rd party internet sources, like Pelican, dial-a-clutch, bimmerworld, etc.

So the other day my buddy told me he bought a new wiring harness :sad1: for his E39 540i from Crown BMW online parts. I told him he was nuts, but then he showed me the price he paid, which was great. So last night I checked Pelican for some parts I needed, then looked at Crowns website, and found the prices to be 20% less at Crown. And on top of that I got a nice email from the parts guy this morning making sure I was ordering the correct things, and some alternative parts numbers.

I am in no way connected with Crown. Just passing on a tip on keeping your DIY costs down.

Crown Automotive Co Inc

Steve

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Let me guess, was the parts guy JD?

JD's been proven to be incredibly nice and helpful throghout my purchases. I buy all my parts from Crown.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
JD is great! I am in constant communication with him about parts and he is very knowledgeable. Their prices are lower than anywhere else I also check (rockauto/getbmwparts). Not to mention Crown is only an hour away from me so my parts get here in 1 - 2 days! :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
This is true if you need factory OEM parts. Most of the time, a quality aftermarket part made by an OEM supplier will suffice just fine. Problem is, Crown doesn't carry these as it's an actual dealer. Case in point: a new thermostat from them is 98$ - a great price for an OEM bmw t-stat but you don't need an OEM part here. A Behr t-stat at Pelican/AutohauzAZ is <40$. Behr is an OEM supplier so you're not buying a cheap chinese knockoff here.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is true if you need factory OEM parts. Most of the time, a quality aftermarket part made by an OEM supplier will suffice just fine. Problem is, Crown doesn't carry these as it's an actual dealer. Case in point: a new thermostat from them is 98$ - a great price for an OEM bmw t-stat but you don't need an OEM part here. A Behr t-stat at Pelican/AutohauzAZ is <40$. Behr is an OEM supplier so you're not buying a cheap chinese knockoff here.

Very true. No way Crown could touch the low prices I paid for OEM clutch and flywheel, as well as most things electrical. But in this case I was looking for fender liners.

Steve

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Agreed. Last week I ordered my new T-stat etc, comparing prices everywhere. Got the t-stat and temp sensor from autohauzAZ and everything else (o-rings, gaskets, etc) from Crown.

It is a must to compare prices online in many places, but for most OEM parts Crown is the cheapest.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Nice source for OEM parts but found prices pretty much in the same price range as parts from Tisher BMW - getBMWparts.com which is a board sponsor.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Tisher has always been great to me. Ordered ~10 times from them and only once they forgot to put two of the same part like on the order. Called and they sent me the second part right away no hassle.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Crown Auto is great from my experience. In addition to the great prices, it's customer service is super helpful and considerate as well.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
So over the last 9+ years of M5 ownership and a year of X3, I have done about 90% of the work on the cars myself. Unless it is a part under $50 that I need immediately, I have avoided the local dealer, and buy all my parts from various 3rd party internet sources, like Pelican, dial-a-clutch, bimmerworld, etc.

So the other day my buddy told me he bought a new wiring harness :sad1: for his E39 540i from Crown BMW online parts. I told him he was nuts, but then he showed me the price he paid, which was great. So last night I checked Pelican for some parts I needed, then looked at Crowns website, and found the prices to be 20% less at Crown. And on top of that I got a nice email from the parts guy this morning making sure I was ordering the correct things, and some alternative parts numbers.

I am in no way connected with Crown. Just passing on a tip on keeping your DIY costs down.

Crown Automotive Co Inc

Steve
Steve,

If you're using Firefox (if not, install it), you can install greasemonkey and then the greasemonkey script in this thread, and then use realoem.com. Once you have a parts page displayed, it will show direct links to Tischer, Crown, Pelican and a few others next to each part number. Clicking on the link will open up a tab with that P/N looked up at that site. Great tool.

By the way, in the past couple of issues of the Roundel there is an add running by Lincoln BMW claiming they will not be undersold on BMW or Dinan parts, but I guess you need to call them as they aren't real competitive with Tischer and Crown via their on-line site (which is directbmwparts.com).

In any event, I just decided to check an expensive part price at Tischer, Crown and Lincoln. Tischer is the cheapest on this part, the M5 flywheel, P/N: 21212229190. Note that BMWNA has MASSIVELY increased parts prices in the past 18 months. Massively. The BMWNA list price for the flywheel is now up to $1894.71. Crown's price is $1551.77, and Tischer's price is $1515.77 ($40 cheaper).

Hence Crown doesn't always have the cheapest part. I've used Tischer a fair amount and have had nothing but great experiences so far.

Install the greasemonkey script as it makes on-line parts buying much faster and easier.

Chuck

Reactions: ChrisM and KevinM

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Tisher has always been great to me. Ordered ~10 times from them and only once they forgot to put two of the same part like on the order. Called and they sent me the second part right away no hassle.

+1 on Tischer...Plus they are BOARD SPONSOR :applause:

·
Registered
624 Posts
The only problem I've had with Tischer was their inability to ship a common, in stock part the same day it was ordered. IE: Order for BMW coolant placed 11am in the morning but it didn't ship until the following day. I live in the DC area so it would have been in my hands the following day but it got delayed a day, as a result. It only happened once but had I known, I would have paid extra for it at the dealer. Only happened once so I'm sure its a fluke.

·
Registered
572 Posts
In any event, I just decided to check an expensive part price at Tischer, Crown and Lincoln. Tischer is the cheapest on this part, the M5 flywheel, P/N: 21212229190. Note that BMWNA has MASSIVELY increased parts prices in the past 18 months. Massively. The BMWNA list price for the flywheel is now up to $1894.71. Crown's price is $1551.77, and Tischer's price is $1515.77 ($40 cheaper).

Hence Crown doesn't always have the cheapest part. I've used Tischer a fair amount and have had nothing but great experiences so far.

Install the greasemonkey script as it makes on-line parts buying much faster and easier.

Chuck
BMW Partz Direct charges $1421.03.....almost 100 bucks cheaper...enter your BMW part # at:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214760

·
Registered
7,572 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Steve,

Chuck

That's amazing. I paid $528 for an OEM flywheel two years ago via dial-a-clutch.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
That's amazing. I paid $528 for an OEM clutch two years ago via dial-a-clutch.
BMW is subsidizing the severe downturn in the new car business by exploiting their customers with huge parts price increases. Some BMW dealers have piled on this behavior by marking up parts prices even above these inflated BMWNA list prices where they didn't do such before or did so only in a minor way. My local dealer, who has always been "decent", has turned into one of those, sadly.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Looks like it should be added to the greasemonkey script!
I think it is already included. "Anyways, I wrote this little Greasemonkey script tonight to cross link the part numbers from RealOEM/bmwfans and perform the part search on getbmwparts.com (Tischer BMW), Crown Auto, and BMW Partz Direct."

:applause:

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I think it is already included. "Anyways, I wrote this little Greasemonkey script tonight to cross link the part numbers from RealOEM/bmwfans and perform the part search on getbmwparts.com (Tischer BMW), Crown Auto, and BMW Partz Direct."

:applause:
whoops, :)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
BMW is subsidizing the severe downturn in the new car business by exploiting their customers with huge parts price increases. Some BMW dealers have piled on this behavior by marking up parts prices even above these inflated BMWNA list prices where they didn't do such before or did so only in a minor way. My local dealer, who has always been "decent", has turned into one of those, sadly.
My local dealer is one of those that has increased their prices over list. A few months back when looking for a battery, one of my local dealers wanted $330 for it! I responded with that must be the price for it installed, can you give me the price of the battery alone... and was told that is for the battery only. Called up another dealer that was 10 minutes from this one to find the battery for $240. Add the CCA discount and it was a reasonable price. Same exact thing, just one gouging and the other charging list.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
My local dealer is one of those that has increased their prices over list. A few months back when looking for a battery, one of my local dealers wanted $330 for it! I responded with that must be the price for it installed, can you give me the price of the battery alone... and was told that is for the battery only. Called up another dealer that was 10 minutes from this one to find the battery for $240. Add the CCA discount and it was a reasonable price. Same exact thing, just one gouging and the other charging list.
We should somehow start a list of dealers charging over BMWNA list price on parts at their retail counter. Dealers are all independently owned, so they will charge whatever they want for parts to suck money out of the unwary.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts