BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new M5 some time ago and was promised delivery in early June. I am an M car nut and have driven several M cars and other BMW’s in the past. My car was delayed and delayed and I eventually got it early this week, my plan was to drive the M5 and sell it when my M6 arrives (see M6board), my M6 arrives in December (much earlier than expected). Due to the short time frame I decided to sell the M5 which I did. To my shock I was called up and told that I can’t buy anymore BMW cars because I am a “speculator” and what I did was not fair according to the BMW dealer that I bought the car from. My points are I am not a speculator and because of all the delays it became sensible to sell the 5 and wait for the 6. This was not my plan to start with. I am a man of my word and did not want to cancel the order on the 5, I also was not sure what the value of the car will be when the 6 arrives so I could not take the chance of driving a car for only 3 months. When I complained about all the delays BMW’s response was less than sympathetic. I have explained the situation to the dealer concerned and he did say he would retract my black-listing. What are your opinions? P.S the M5 is stunning.

·
Registered
714 Posts
how much did u want for your M5?
how did they find out that you were selling?
why don't you keep it until your M6 arrives?
who called you up?
did BMW SA has a contract that prevents you from selling it within a time frame? (BMW Canada has some kind of non export agreement as well as a first right of refusal to buy it back within the first year)
did u have a choice of not picking up the car earlier this week?

888 said:
I ordered a new M5 some time ago and was promised delivery in early June. I am an M car nut and have driven several M cars and other BMW’s in the past. My car was delayed and delayed and I eventually got it early this week, my plan was to drive the M5 and sell it when my M6 arrives (see M6board), my M6 arrives in December (much earlier than expected). Due to the short time frame I decided to sell the M5 which I did. To my shock I was called up and told that I can’t buy anymore BMW cars because I am a “speculator” and what I did was not fair according to the BMW dealer that I bought the car from. My points are I am not a speculator and because of all the delays it became sensible to sell the 5 and wait for the 6. This was not my plan to start with. I am a man of my word and did not want to cancel the order on the 5, I also was not sure what the value of the car will be when the 6 arrives so I could not take the chance of driving a car for only 3 months. When I complained about all the delays BMW’s response was less than sympathetic. I have explained the situation to the dealer concerned and he did say he would retract my black-listing. What are your opinions? P.S the M5 is stunning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M! said:
how much did u want for your M5?
how did they find out that you were selling?
why don't you keep it until your M6 arrives?
who called you up?
did BMW SA has a contract that prevents you from selling it within a time frame? (BMW Canada has some kind of non export agreement as well as a first right of refusal to buy it back within the first year)
did u have a choice of not picking up the car earlier this week?
I sold it for a fair profit.

A customer saw the car at a second hand dealer.

Did not keep it because I was not sure of future value and really want the 6.

A friend in the business (Bmw dealer) called me he saw the bl mail

I did not sign any contract preventing me from selling.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In my opinion they can't do that with you. if you pay for it it's yours, and if you want to burn it, it's your problem, if you want to buy 10 of it burn it and leave it in front of dealer, your problem again.

Thats more than ridiculous !!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
You should send an e-mail to BMW SA and for BMW AG, telling them what happend ... and about the black list. They should be adverted about dealers behaviour

·
Registered
537 Posts
I guess the dealer said it wasnt fair because he didnt do it himself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
in fact thats very common ... when we refer to dealers

hal2000 said:
I guess the dealer said it wasnt fair because he didnt do it himself.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
if you turned the car around for profit- you took the risk and you got caught (this time). the dealer can do this because this is their business. however, as an individual that buys and sells for profit you are a "speculator"...

btw, if you do this to a ferrari, you will be banned from purchasing new ferraris for life.

you lose some and you win some.

i am sure another opportunity for you will arise to get the m6.

alex
few cars

·
Registered
118 Posts
So if you are pissed because BMW delayed your deliver and sold your M5 before your M6 arrives you are a speculator ???

What BMW is called for their delay in deliver ???

Should we avoid buy BMW then ???

It's the same thing. He is a costumer anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMW arguably builds the best cars in the world. The fact that they build good cars is one thing but their arrogant attitude and poor customer services is turning me away from them. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It's hard to complain about having to pay over MSRP for a car in heavy demand and simultaneously complain about being blacklisted for immediately flipping a car for profit when you do get it at MSRP.

Tom

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can sympathize with both sides of this story....probably would have been a good gesture to ask your salesman to handle the re-sale transaction and share the profits. As far as I know, there's really no pecking order list as to who get their car first. I've never got my "number" in writing - only a dated sales order. Only a good relationship with your dealer will get you an early car. IMO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bernhtp said:
It's hard to complain about having to pay over MSRP for a car in heavy demand and simultaneously complain about being blacklisted for immediately flipping a car for profit when you do get it at MSRP.

Tom
Fair point Tom, but my intentions were not to sell the car (read first post), I only sold because BMW messed-up with the promised delivery time. In my business when I don’t supply on time it costs me money.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
dude, the bottom line is your bought your car for msrp and turned around and sold it for profit. end of story. the rest is noise in the system- it doesnt matter if your next car was late, the weather was not fair, it was not a leap year, etc- this is how bmw sees it...

i for one, if dont like the smg will turn around and sell it for exactly what it cost me (yes, plus taxes and fees, but no more).

i see your side, but your behavior should not be tolerated generally speaking. now, you might have a legitimate reason for selling your car, but from the sidelines (read bmw point of view) it appears you were after the profit. while you could do that since the car was yours and as somebody said you can burn it if you want, the bmw corporate philosophy does not condone that behavior- hence the blacklisting...

call them and explain and see what they say? you might get lucky...

alex
few cars

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
AJ makes a great point. The facts of the story are you bought a car at MSRP and flipped it for a profit. Everything is, i.e. BMW delays, waiting for M6, couldn't take a chance on the market value, are your "spin" on the story

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AJ said:
dude, the bottom line is your bought your car for msrp and turned around and sold it for profit. end of story. the rest is noise in the system- it doesnt matter if your next car was late, the weather was not fair, it was not a leap year, etc- this is how bmw sees it...

i for one, if dont like the smg will turn around and sell it for exactly what it cost me (yes, plus taxes and fees, but no more).

i see your side, but your behavior should not be tolerated generally speaking. now, you might have a legitimate reason for selling your car, but from the sidelines (read bmw point of view) it appears you were after the profit. while you could do that since the car was yours and as somebody said you can burn it if you want, the bmw corporate philosophy does not condone that behavior- hence the blacklisting...

call them and explain and see what they say? you might get lucky...

alex
few cars
Ok points taken, this is not the end of the world, lets assume BMW does not reinstate me any suggestions on what I should buy with my R110000-00 ($180000-00)in the bank reserved for the M6. P.S I am new to this board and do appreciate the mature nature and tone.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
888 said:
Ok points taken, this is not the end of the world, lets assume BMW does not reinstate me any suggestions on what I should buy with my R110000-00 ($180000-00)in the bank reserved for the M6. P.S I am new to this board and do appreciate the mature nature and tone.
Why don't you negotiate with your dealer. Explain to them that your intentions were not driven by greed, rather circumstances. Prove it to them by offering to split the profit from the sale of your M5, and they can tag it on the M6 as a premium when your M6 arrives. This is a fair gesture and will more than clear you out of an "blacklist". If you would rather not do this, then you will, more than eve, look like a "speculator"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SoulBladeZA said:
I'd buy a Carrera 997S. If you have some extra cash maybe wait a bit and get the 997 Turbo S :cheers:
I like your thinking I know Tobi quite well, will go for the Turbo, but first I want to see if I can get the M6, my lawyer says I can force them to sell me the car because I have a confirmed order and body number. I don’t think I will take the legal route though. I am not to impressed with the 997 s.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rezf said:
Why don't you negotiate with your dealer. Explain to them that your intentions were not driven by greed, rather circumstances. Prove it to them by offering to split the profit from the sale of your M5, and they can tag it on the M6 as a premium when your M6 arrives. This is a fair gesture and will more than clear you out of an "blacklist". If you would rather not do this, then you will, more than eve, look like a "speculator"
I offered them all the money they said they cant accept because BMW SA will then fine them. In SA the BMW dealers are not allowed to sell over list. With hindsight I would never have done this I was not aware of the storm that it would create.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts