BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Koni's and B&G springs this week. Thanks Cal.

I did a search but didn't find what I'm looking for. I've lost the computer that I had the TIS on. Has anyone done a DIY for changing shocks and springs? I know it is pretty straight forward, but I want to avoid any gotcha's and I'd like use the correct torques. I've done shocks on other vehicles in the past but not on a BMW.

One thing I've always heard mentioned is the need to pull the rear package shelf but I've not seen how to do that.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Parcel shelf needs to be removed, or at least slid forwards on the seat belts to access the rear top mounts, as all 4 shocks on the M5 are Macpherson struts.

Simply pull the bottom of the rear bench upwards with a jolt and it will come off its mounts. Take it out and store it. Then there are 2x10mm head bolts, 1 either side of the back rest of the bench, you'll see them when you take the base of the bench out. Remove these and you can then remove the back part of the bench.

Next depending if you have the rear blind or not, if you do you should remove the 3 IIRC nuts from inside the trunk that bolt through the bodywork under the parcel shelf into the shelf itself.

Back inside the car remove the plastic expanding rivets across the top of the front edge of the parcel shelf, and also the steel bracket for the centre head rest.

Unclip the C pillar trims and noe you're ready to pull the shelf towards you. Once you can see the rear speaker pods you've pulled it forwards enough. Remove the rear speaker pods and the top mount for the strut is underneath that.

These are the first steps i'd take as you'll be dirty from working under the car otherwise.

·
Registered
624 Posts
it's doable. I did this not too long ago. Not hard, just takes a while. Budget an entire day, or a weekend to be safe.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Make sure you remove the level sensor for the headlights on the front passenger side lower arm. I broke mine because I didn't before trying to remove the strut.......

Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you remove the level sensor for the headlights on the front passenger side lower arm. I broke mine because I didn't before trying to remove the strut.......
Thanks Tim, that's exactly the kind of heads up I was looking for.

Jamipeers, thanks.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
On removing the rear struts..... good luck.... What a PITA. I read it is easier if you remove the fender liner and disconnect the E brake cable? I am going to try it out next time. It took me 45 minutes to do BOTH fronts and 4 hours to do the rears..... Good Lord....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Great information on the deck removal.....anyone have a detailed DIY for the sprin install ?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Great information on the deck removal.....anyone have a detailed DIY for the sprin install ?
John's great posts are related to GC coilover installs, but 95+% carries over to spring/shock installs:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5-e39-e60-tips-tricks/92504-e39-m5-rear-suspension-coil-over-install-long-detailed.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5-e39-e60-tips-tricks/92492-e39-m5-front-suspension-coil-over-install-long-detailed.html

See also generic E39 install from Beisan Systems:

Beisan Systems - Procedure - Front Struts Procedure

Beisan Systems - Procedures - Rear Shocks Procedure

Reactions: Pagimo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts