BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to get a bit of a squeak when you go over a bump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's not uncommon, I've had plenty of cars that have done this including very low mileage almost new ones. Shouldn't let it worry you unless it gets really loud or starts to sound like more of a grinding noise.

Ian

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
plenty of moving parts to impart a gentle sigh with the push of a bump, quite acceptable for the beast to "squeak", on the other hand, if you are squeaking when you go over a bump, another thing all together......

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Is it normal to get a bit of a squeak when you go over a bump.
I posted a question similar to this however & as there are many parts involved, I somewhat narrowed down where the squeak was coming from by the application of the 'brakes' while going over the same bumps.

Sure enough, slight brake pedal, no more squeaks..... which led me to believe it was rotor/pad/caliper related.

Changed out the 100,000 mile pads & rotors (as they needed to be done) & the squeak went away.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I posted a question similar to this however & as there are many parts involved, I somewhat narrowed down where the squeak was coming from by the application of the 'brakes' while going over the same bumps.

Sure enough, slight brake pedal, no more squeaks..... which led me to believe it was rotor/pad/caliper related.

Changed out the 100,000 mile pads & rotors (as they needed to be done) & the squeak went away.
Are u saying your discs and pads lasted 100,000 miles !!!!!!!!!!! Jesus !!! no wonder they needed to be re-newed

·
Registered
9,355 Posts

I had a similiar issue. It didnt bother me and I only noticed the squeak with the windows rolled down, but it all went away after a change of rotors/pads.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Are u saying your discs and pads lasted 100,000 miles !!!!!!!!!!! Jesus !!! no wonder they needed to be re-newed
Yes, however it's also a function of how you drive.<O:p</O:p
If I'm predominantly 'highway' miles, one could argue the car has many fewer miles on it than the 111K it's accrued.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
The rotors appeared fine & the pads had some meat left J<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
closing on 100000m with original discs and pads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts