BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was on my *** all the way from an intersection, to an on-ramp, to the highway.

1. 3rd gear (to merge), stayed in it until redline...watched him disappear...

2. Dropped the throttle...he caught up...revved his motor...

3. See #1

The guy had a "Ford Motorsport" front license plate and an incredulous girlfriend.

Sorry flyboy.

Alps

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Now don't you feel bad for showing him up in front of his girl friend? Give me a break, this guy really thoght he had a chance?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Get this - yesterday I had a guy in a NEON challenge me. I ignored him - so he got in front of me - he had MOPAR stickers all over and a URL I don't remember for some automotive aftermarket company, together with a fat exhaust pipe indicating the car was modified. Needless to say I finally lost my patience and toed itnto it a bit. Blew him away, of course. But it was too easy. A NEON?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sorry, there's no such thing as a 'SHO Contour'.

There's an SVT Contour ('98-00, ~195HP) and the SHO Taurus ('89-95 for the real ones, ~220HP Yamaha V6; '96-99 for the Tuna Taurus version, 235HP from its DOHC 60-degree balance-shaft V8)

The SVT Contour is by all accounts a nice car for the money if you can live with a tiny back seat and the usual Ford quota of squeaks and rattles.

The SHO Taurus was a very fast car by the standards of the era when it was introduced, but full of cost-cutting compromises - it's a 140mph car with 90mph brakes, fair amount of engine but FWD and an open differential.

There's a few interesting tweaked SHOs out there. Mine (~265HP, Baer PBR brakes, Quaife diff, etc.) is pretty bland.

A friend has a Vortech-blown '90 that goes 405 front-wheel HP on the dyno.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Greg: was it a White one? For some strange reason, lots of white "riceboy" cars seem to chase me around. Had some good races, but most of them are just asking for trouble.

A NEON?

--Dan

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, misnomer on my part...it was an SVT Contour.

If I were looking for an affordable "performance" sedan, it would be one of these or a VR6 Jetta.

I love fast four-doors.

Alps

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Frankly, at that point I'd suggest a used E36 M3 sedan unless you must have FWD or you really like to do something different.

I like my SHO, I can't see parting with it (I do like to have something different) but it's taken maybe $12K in bits and pieces to get it more or less equal to a mildly-tweaked E36 M3 in all-around performance - and of course it's worth pretty much zip if I tried to sell it.

As for the SVT - they didn't make many, and while they've got a fair number of boosters they'll never have the level of aftermarket support that the E36 M3 does.

If someone wanted an interesting experiment, they should find out whether the 3.0L Duratec block from the '96-up Taurus could be made to bolt up to the Contour MTX-75 transaxle. Same exterior dimensions and a quick 30 cubic inches. Don't forget the Quaife diff.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Before I could afford such cars as a M5 and a corvette, etc. I wanted a SVT contour.

Relatively nice car for the money and a decent performer and it looks good to imho. However, its duratec v6 has absolutely no chance against the mighty M5. LOL

The SVT contour crowd sure loves to race. Their stealth factor is their ego's downfall.

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel
00' Vette convertible NBM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts