BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently got the car just over a week ago and it's 90% pristine, just a couple scratches, little bit of curb rash, and rusty pipes-er-had rusty pipes. Well, when I finally picked up some metal polish, I found that it worked great! So well, infact, that I'm posting the results that I had with the turtle wax chrome and metal polish to give you guys a heads up! This was easy to do, so this post will be short and to the point - more pics of the car and what I think of it will be popping up in their respective places soon!

Some before and afters are attached.

If your pipes looked like mine, 20mins, $6, and honestly quite a bit of elbow grease, this is a great fix! Just some minor specs left that I'm sure will come out with another go at it. At the same point, however, if you know of some product that is even easier to use, let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:eek:h: I've got to try the sos pads! I thought I had great results, but it looks like I can get rid of those swirl marks as well! That should also remove the small specs I've got left, all I used was a terry cloth.

Oh, and people kept referring to the "chrome" finish. They're just polished stainless, right?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I stay away from terry cloths; Too much lint. Go with microfiber; It polishes and cleans up much nicer.

Those sos pads are miracle workers! I had a bucket of water on hand while scrubbing the pipes and I wore some rubber gloves, much like the ones used for dish cleaning. The way I started was: Clean the pipes with soap and water along with clay bar (to remove any contaminants), scrub them real good with the sos pads, rinse with soap and water, dry the pipes with the mf cloth, use metal polish, and wipe the residue with a mf cloth once again. Repeat the metal polish step until your satisfied.

You were asking what the finish was and I think its a some sort of metal with a shiny coating. I'm not too informed about it but thats my guess from experience. Be careful around the rims of the tips with the sos pads because that coating will come off if you rub too hard or too much. It happened to me. I was trying to scrub black specks on the rims but the specks were actually the metal underneath; I was removing the coating... Other than that I was astonished at the results. Take your time. The more time you give into cleaning them, the more you'll be rewarded. I'm a nut though. I took off the rear diffuser and went back to the muffler. I even polish the inside of the pipes. I knew they'd get dirty again but I couldn't help it :rofl:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome! How hard was it to remove the diffuser? As you can see I managed to smear some polish on there...and make a mess of the driveway, and my clothes--but that's besides the point, lol. I wouldn't go back to the muffler, but removing it would make it much easier to shine what can be seen.

Yeah, I wouldn't trade my color for any other! I wasn't sure about it from seeing the seller's pictures, but in person...wow! My pictures represent the color well, imo. If you haven't seen it yet you should be able to see pics here: absolutepressure Gallery - m5board.com Owners gallery

Oh, and if you wash the terry cloths before hand, no lint! They're cheap and great for stuff like this as opposed to blackening some nice microfibers.

Later! :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Nice work! I've always used NeverDull but that looks like an equally good product!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! How hard was it to remove the diffuser? As you can see I managed to smear some polish on there...and make a mess of the driveway, and my clothes--but that's besides the point, lol. I wouldn't go back to the muffler, but removing it would make it much easier to shine what can be seen.

Yeah, I wouldn't trade my color for any other! I wasn't sure about it from seeing the seller's pictures, but in person...wow! My pictures represent the color well, imo. If you haven't seen it yet you should be able to see pics here: absolutepressure Gallery - m5board.com Owners gallery

Oh, and if you wash the terry cloths before hand, no lint! They're cheap and great for stuff like this as opposed to blackening some nice microfibers.

Later! :M5launch:
In the last photo, your diffuser isn't all lined up. Above the pipes on the right, it looks like you have some clips to pop in. I assumed you had removed it to make cleaning easier.

Removing the diffuser is not hard at all. I've done it several times.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/149151-how-do-you-re-install-rear-diffuser.html

Installing the Hitch

Don't pull the diffuser from the bottom. Start in the outer corners and go towards the center when popping out the clips. Have one hand on the outside of the valence for support while having the other do the work. When you have it completely removed, give it a good cleaning. I polished and waxed mine. There may be some rocks falling out. Just don't be under the car. I did all this with the car on the ground like normal, no ramps or lifting.

How much polish did you have to use? Do you have to keep applying the paste/liquid in order to see results?

The pictures of your car are great! I've never actually seen Anthracite in person. It's pretty rare compared to other colors but it's nice to be different from the usual ones. Do you plan on keeping it stock or modifying?

I had seen a good deal of MF towels in Walmart, a pack of 12, that I use for cleaning: wheels, engine bay, pipes, the dirty stuff. Bought two packs and they're different colors, so you can remember which ones you used for what just by the color. I have better MF towels that I use separately for washing the body of the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey man, didn't see your post before.

Thanks for the compliments! I took off the front license plate mount, and it really cleans up the front of the car-minus two small screw holes, but in comparison, much better.

I used very little polish, two small squirts per pipe. Used probably around half an ounce (in weight, not volume). I've washed the car three times since, two auto touchless and once by hand. The pipes look just like they did in the pictures above. I don't anticipate having to do this often. On another note, though, I just bought some 0000 steel wool and will be going to town on the pipes and post some pictures of the result.

Good call on the fit of the diffuser. I hadn't noticed it before. Now that I look close, it doesn't sit flush above either of the pair of pipes, nor in the middle. Almost looks heat warped. It was in Texas for two years...I'll have to check out the clips when I do the steel wool.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey man, didn't see your post before.

Thanks for the compliments! I took off the front license plate mount, and it really cleans up the front of the car-minus two small screw holes, but in comparison, much better.

I used very little polish, two small squirts per pipe. Used probably around half an ounce (in weight, not volume). I've washed the car three times since, two auto touchless and once by hand. The pipes look just like they did in the pictures above. I don't anticipate having to do this often. On another note, though, I just bought some 0000 steel wool and will be going to town on the pipes and post some pictures of the result.

Good call on the fit of the diffuser. I hadn't noticed it before. Now that I look close, it doesn't sit flush above either of the pair of pipes, nor in the middle. Almost looks heat warped. It was in Texas for two years...I'll have to check out the clips when I do the steel wool.
Be a bit careful with those touchless washes. I do them when I have no choice like when I'm out of town, but other than that, I stay away. Some I believe use strong chemicals and might dull your finish if used quite often.

The pipes should stay pretty clean as long as you give them a nice wipe down along with your car washing routine.

Its so annoying when parts get heat warped. Sometimes your just better off replacing them unless they can be fixed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you guys seal the freshly polished pipes with something? Keeping them shiny is a pita. Tried waxing like the wheels but seems it wont work on a hot exhaust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts