BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question for the veterans of the board :confused: . This the problem, took the beast on a road trip this weekend and experience something that was really strange, upon reaching my destination after 5 hours driving came to a stop at a toll booth and the car would not go in first gear so I took off in 2nd went thru all the gears. After reaching my detination tried to go in in reverse and to force in that gear also. Went to bed worried about :crying2: :crying2: got up the morning went and check on her, took her to get cleaned up she had buggs al over and the car drove fine 1st thru 6 came home no problem. I have a Rouge short shifter and have anyone experienced this before. Is it the clutch or something else! :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

Thanks Ron!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Oh oh!

Bad Synchro! And i heard they dont sell 'em by the piece! I'll wait for others to reply!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Ron Thompson said:
Have a question for the veterans of the board :confused: . This the problem, took the beast on a road trip this weekend and experience something that was really strange, upon reaching my destination after 5 hours driving came to a stop at a toll booth and the car would not go in first gear so I took off in 2nd went thru all the gears. After reaching my detination tried to go in in reverse and to force in that gear also. Went to bed worried about :crying2: :crying2: got up the morning went and check on her, took her to get cleaned up she had buggs al over and the car drove fine 1st thru 6 came home no problem. I have a Rouge short shifter and have anyone experienced this before. Is it the clutch or something else! :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

Thanks Ron!
I would advise you to check for shifter or external linkage problems. You may have lost one of the c-clips or something after the shifter was installed. Since the shifter swap is done blind and by feel, something might be wrong. Such a problem could damage the tranny, so cross your fingers and investigate soon. Don't force it or internal parts could be damaged.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,036 Posts
Since it started to affected two different gears at the same time, and it got better when the gearbox cooled off, i don´t think it is a syncro problem. Be glad... (mild or moderate syncro problems are usually most noticable when the gearbox is cold and often disappear when the oil heats up)

I agree with Lscman, check the shifter linkage ASAP.

I once read of someone with a similair problem. They checked all the shifter linkage of the shortshifter. Didn't help much. Then they loosened all the engine mount bolts and the gearbox mount bolts and retorqued to specification and in right sequence. Shifter then worked perfectly.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.