BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, once during a hard shift from 1st to 2nd a friend of mine (yes I broke the rule) :( pulled the shifter knob and boot right off my rogue shortshifter. ever since then it pops off even with a mild shift from 1st to 2nd...anyone ever exp. this and what can/could be done to fix? Appreciate any ideas - bmwhutch

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
replace shift knob with new one. problem solved. they just snap on. once they "break" off, they don't usually go back on and stay on.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Sounds like it's time to upgrade to the ZHP shift knob.. :)

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
798 Posts
Happened to me in my previous ///M. They don't fit back the same b/c the inner seal has been broken/stretched. Either get a new knob or roll on some high temperature electrical tape to increase the width of the shaft to fit better in the enlarged circumference of the stretched knob.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
thanks man, will try that but will likely "invest" in a new knob, they ain't cheap
Im sorry but if a shift knob is "not cheap" to you, you should probably sell your M5.

FWIW my old shift knob came off at one point and I just put it on, lay a towel over it and whack it gently with a plastic hammer. I also held the shift linkage to keep it from taking the force. It stayed on until I replaced the knob with the ZHP unit.

You may want to practice shifting by more of a pushing motion rather than just pulling. My hand is pretty much always hovering over the Neutral position, I just use motions of my wrist to change gear. IMO going into 1 should not be a slamming forward motion, and going into 2 should not be a strong pulling back motion.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
hey all, once during a hard shift from 1st to 2nd a friend of mine (yes I broke the rule) :( pulled the shifter knob and boot right off my rogue shortshifter. ever since then it pops off even with a mild shift from 1st to 2nd...anyone ever exp. this and what can/could be done to fix? Appreciate any ideas - bmwhutch
It may be that the "teeth" inside the knob is worn out as others have suggested. However, ensure that the shift knob is reinstalled with the proper force, as it requires a bit of equal force to remove the darn thing. Ensure that the same applies when you install it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Either get a new knob or roll on some high temperature electrical tape to increase the width of the shaft to fit better in the enlarged circumference of the stretched knob.
ok... dont know why. But when i read that it made me :7:hmmm

·
Registered
317 Posts
Super glue and i promise it stays on, also

hard shift from 1st to 2nd a friend of mine (yes I broke the rule)
pulled the shifter knob and boot right off my rogue shortshifter.
Hah lol had to be one hell of a hard shift right there. Luckily he didn't corner as hard, would have ripped the steering wheel off also...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts