BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
what are you guys shifting with to make these paddles break...... a hammer........ouichouich

·
Registered
766 Posts
fingers

Just my fingers...

Of my 86K miles(135K Km), I've probably driven 3 or 4 miles in D, just to try it out(It sucks BTW). I use the paddles all the time.

Once you've taken these apart, you find that the motion stops for the paddles are built into the body of the paddle, so the arms are not under stress when you shift hard...apparently the design needs just a little more built in strength, thus my use of the aluminum rod.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It is a poor design. If there was a listing for the paddles only, I would consider it a minor inconvenience. They aren't.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
...I'm using some general grade epoxy to see if that will take care of the crack. Poor design IMO.
I never repaired my original cracked paddle, so I never determined what type of plastic the paddle is made of. A solvent based glue would be good, but the correct solvent type must be found. Adding some metal reinforcement is an excellent idea (as Jessem did), in which case epoxy should work fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just used this DIY to change a paddle. Thank you for making it so easy.

Has no one made a billet replacement paddle? Would be nice to have something a bit longer and better quality than plastic.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for posting the DIY. Saved me time and money. I bought the left paddle shifter from ECS Tuning and replaced it over the weekend. The new shifter has a different tactile sensation when engaging it and doesn't feel quite as buttery smooth as the original paddle shifter.

It's not a big deal but curious if anyone else has experienced this?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for posting the DIY. Saved me time and money. I bought the left paddle shifter from ECS Tuning and replaced it over the weekend. The new shifter has a different tactile sensation when engaging it and doesn't feel quite as buttery smooth as the original paddle shifter.

It's not a big deal but curious if anyone else has experienced this?
There should be an obvious detent felt when the paddle is pulled. If there isn't, it's broken. Usually it will still shift, but sometimes you'll get 2 shifts instead of 1.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for this. Repaired mine yesterday. Downshift paddle was cracked at top hinge and used 2 part expoxy to repair. Hardest part was getting airbag out and back in properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update on mine I tried to do. First used 2 part epoxy and that only lasted a week before snapping apart. Then tried super glue and even after letting it sit for 2 hours before installing, it dripped and glued the entire mechanism tight. When I finally got it popped loose, it broke at the crack again. Haven't tried a 3rd time yet.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Update on mine I tried to do. First used 2 part epoxy and that only lasted a week before snapping apart. Then tried super glue and even after letting it sit for 2 hours before installing, it dripped and glued the entire mechanism tight. When I finally got it popped loose, it broke at the crack again. Haven't tried a 3rd time yet.
I never repaired my original cracked paddle, so I never determined what type of plastic the paddle is made of. A solvent based glue would be good, but the correct solvent type must be found. Adding some metal reinforcement is an excellent idea (as Jessem did), in which case epoxy should work fine.
Some sort of metal reinforcement should be your next step.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Excellent DIY. The car i have here is an 06 with broken paddles. Does anyone know if the newer paddles from the 09/07 models would fit and work on an 09/07+? Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My paddle stopped working a few weeks ago. Last weekend I removed mine and found that the arm had broken off where it joins the paddle. I decided to repair, as I've spent too much on replacement parts lately and thought I'd try to repair it myself. Since mine broke where it did, I decided to drill out the two pieces, insert an aluminum rod for strength, then glue together using plastic two-part epoxy. I drilled the hole larger than needed for the rod so I could adjust alignment easier and use the epoxy as the filler material. All worked as I had hoped. I had some minor misalignment when it hardened, but some judicious filing made all fine. Paddle works well, for how long only time will tell.
View attachment 316961

View attachment 316969
Old post, but thanks for the info. I did basically the same thing on my newly-acquired 07 M5. I cut a finish nail in the bandsaw to length, drilled each side of the broken plastic, and assembled it with super glue. Feels solid, no issues with a few hundred shifts so far.

·
Registered
766 Posts
FYI,

I was driving my M5 today and, as always, extensively using the paddles including the repaired one, so you should get decent life out of the repair.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes, 5 years

41 - 58 of 58 Posts