BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Fantastic DIY, thanks Clyde.

This is a great post as I know these things do break. My co-worker, who has a 2007 M5, had his exhibit the exact same behavior. I think he got it replaced under warranty, but this is great to have in the knowledge base.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As I said I tryed repair mine with JB weild but it did not hild! So tried a second time with a plastic weld product I bought at Home Depot. It said it holds up to 3500lbs.
Well over a month later still holding. Feels great to DIY and save money for more HP!!!
Thanks again Clyde:cheers:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dang...... I was hoping to file away this awesome DIY to use some day in the distant future but it seems as soon as I read this thread, my rt hand paddle broke! My left paddle went out 7 months ago! The funny thing is, I rarely use the paddles to shift. Definitely a weak design. Thanks again for your detailed post, this will come in very helpful if my aftermarket warranty doesn't want to cover the fix.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What a great write-up! Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi, Clyde. Do you (or anyone else) know if this method can be used to replace the steering wheel roundel? Trying to avoid the stick on/overlay method.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi, Clyde. Do you (or anyone else) know if this method can be used to replace the steering wheel roundel? Trying to avoid the stick on/overlay method.
The roundel is part of the airbag and BMW does not sell replacements. Aftermarket overlays are the only way to repair a dented roundel, other than replacing the entire airbag.

·
8,376 Posts
Clyde is absolutely correct. I know because I also looked into this already.

The center roundel is an aluminum roundel attached to the center airbag system via 3 tabs that folds into the back of the airbag pouch.
You can remove them but BMW does not sell replacement steering wheel roundels by itself.

So like Clyde said - the only way to fix them is to attach an overlay.

NOTE:
The center steering wheel emblem is an odd size. Measure the center roundel size, then find one in eBay.
You can find the right overlays in eBay. Just make sure its the right size.

I think I have a post on this here somewhere.

Here is what I did with mine. I bought a carbon fiber emblem in eBay and attached it to the top of the steering wheel emblem.

Hope that helps Kaveh.

The roundel is part of the airbag and BMW does not sell replacements. Aftermarket overlays are the only way to repair a dented roundel, other than replacing the entire airbag.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Clyde!

Just to reiterate the other replies to your DIY. Excellent DIY! I will follow your format if I ever post a DIY.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just to reiterate the other replies to your DIY. Excellent DIY! I will follow your format if I ever post a DIY.
Thanks for the positive feedback :biggrinbounce:
Remember to post you pictures directly to the board, don't host them off site. Some great old posts have become useless, once the pictures disappeared.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks Clyde and Dan. Was afraid of that but I guess overlay it is. Cheers fellas.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Excellent DIY. I was able to repair the break in my + paddle with 2-part, 5-minute (cured overnight) all-purpose epoxy. It's easy enough to work into the break with a toothpick. Just hold pressure on it for 5 minutes and let it skin over well before putting the dust cover on. Then reinstall and let cure overnight before trying the paddle out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Let me add to the others, thanks for an excellent DIY. I did the replacement today on the downshift paddle, piece of cake job. Bought it for $200 and change from a website referred to here. Saved $300 from the dealer quote.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Another paddle fix

My paddle stopped working a few weeks ago. Last weekend I removed mine and found that the arm had broken off where it joins the paddle. I decided to repair, as I've spent too much on replacement parts lately and thought I'd try to repair it myself. Since mine broke where it did, I decided to drill out the two pieces, insert an aluminum rod for strength, then glue together using plastic two-part epoxy. I drilled the hole larger than needed for the rod so I could adjust alignment easier and use the epoxy as the filler material. All worked as I had hoped. I had some minor misalignment when it hardened, but some judicious filing made all fine. Paddle works well, for how long only time will tell.
Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
For those who opt to repair,

Please state the method/product used, and how many miles have you put on your car since then..

Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Devcon 2 part epoxy - Plastic Welder with .090 aluminum welding rod.

About 2K miles since repair, so far so good.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I noticed that one of my paddles was broken just like in this photo. I thought of replacing the paddle but then noticed that the unit itself is $300 each from Realoem. That is just ridiculous. I'm using some general grade epoxy to see if that will take care of the crack. Poor design IMO.

btw, thank you for the detailed DIY on how to replace the paddles.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts