BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering wheel downshift paddle broke. It was actually still functional, but no longer had the tactile feedback (or "click") ouich

Replacement is very easy, it's taking me much longer to post this DIY than to perform the work :7:

Looking at realoem, the paddle changed 09/2007 (likely MY2008). I don't know the difference, but both the old and new parts are available.
My car was built 09/2007 (MY2007).

RealOEM.com * BMW E63 M6 Steering wheel electronic control

<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th class="r0">No.</th><th class="r1">Description</th><th class="r0">Supplement</th><th class="r1" nowrap="nowrap">Qty</th><th class="r0" nowrap="nowrap"> From </th><th class="r1" nowrap="nowrap"> Up To </th><th class="r0" nowrap="nowrap">Part Number</th><th class="r1" nowrap="nowrap">Price</th><th class="r0" nowrap="nowrap">Notes</th><th class="r1"> Photo</th></tr><tr><td class="r00">05</td><td class="r01">Rocker-type shift lever, right</td><td class="r00 p1">
</td><td class="r01">1</td><td class="r00">
</td><td class="r01">09/2007</td><td class="r00" nowrap="nowrap">61317836558</td><td class="r01" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">$312.95</td><td class="r00">
</td><td><center></center>
</td></tr><tr><td class="r10">05</td><td class="r11">Rocker-type shift lever, right</td><td class="r10 p1">
</td><td class="r11">1</td><td class="r10">09/2007</td><td class="r11">
</td><td class="r10" nowrap="nowrap">61317840986</td><td class="r11" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">$312.95</td><td class="r10">
</td></tr><tr><td class="r00">06</td><td class="r01">Rocker-type shift lever, left</td><td class="r00 p1">
</td><td class="r01">1</td><td class="r00">
</td><td class="r01">09/2007</td><td class="r00" nowrap="nowrap">61317836557</td><td class="r01" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">$312.95</td><td class="r00">
</td></tr><tr><td class="r10">06</td><td class="r11">Rocker-type shift lever, left</td><td class="r10 p1">
</td><td class="r11">1</td><td class="r10">09/2007</td><td class="r11">
</td><td class="r10" nowrap="nowrap">61317840985</td><td class="r11" align="right" nowrap="nowrap">$312.95</td><td class="r10">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rotate the steering wheel, so the broken paddle is upward.
Otherwise other levers might block the removal of the paddle.

Roll down the windows. This is good advice whenever the battery will be disconnected, since the windows will bind on the rubber seals.

Open the trunk and disconnect the battery. 10mm socket.
Leave the trunk open.
I don't know if the trunk will open with the battery disconnected :lightbulb:

Wait 15 minutes to allow any residual power in the airbag circuits to discharge.
This might not really be required, but seems like good advice.

Push a screwdriver into the hole in the bottom of the steering wheel (the hole is on the left, since the wheel is rotated).
Use a screwdriver with a diameter similar to the hole, so it will go straight in. I used a T-20, but it's not critical.
Don't turn the screwdriver, just push straight inward. There will be some resistance.
Catch the airbag as it falls forward. Do not disconnect the wires, just place the airbag out of the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove 2 screws shown in red (T-20)
In the same picture: the orange squares show the metal wires that hold the airbag in place and the arrows show how the wires move to release the airbag

Remove the trim. The lower trim and the control buttons are removed together.
Some wiggling is needed, since there are pins pushed into the steering wheel.
Be gentle, no tools are needed.

Disconnect the paddle connector, in the direction of the arrow.
A needle nose pliers is helpful.

Remove the 2 screws shown in red (T-25)

Remove the broken paddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installation is the reverse of removal :7:

No tools are needed to install the airbag.
Line up the plastic tabs on the back of the airbag with the orange squares shown in the prior post.
Push with both hands, but avoid the center (otherwise the roundel will be dented ouich).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I simply replaced the paddle, since I had a spare :M5thumbs:
I purchase a complete used steering wheel a few years ago, to work on a custom steering wheel. This project is still pending :rolleyes:

The broken paddle has a crack near the upper hinge, which is where the mechanical "click" is created.
It could easily be repaired, since it is not in a visible location.
Once I determine the type of plastic, I will repair it (then I'll still have a spare) :lightbulb:

The lower hinge contains the electrical switch, and the wire to the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the info, just in time.

Jitoo

·
Registered
63 Posts
My right paddle has been like this for a while. Now with this brillant diy post time to fix it. I did own a carrera and on the renntech forumn owners were advised of a dealer in Oregan who gave a good discount to renntech members. Also no tax. Can anyone recommend a dealer who might give us a discount???. I also replaced my battery a few weeks ago but never got it registered. Will this do any damage??? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you so much for this. I replaced my left shift paddle under warranty in November and I think it is only a matter of time before the right one goes. (I was told that they do fail eventually, although I am not sure it is always the way yours did.) Now I feel I can rest easy using my paddles because the fix is relatively cheap and easy.

Clyde, could you tell me what kind of camera you use to take these photos, what setting it is on, and what software you use to put the orange circles and yellow boxes on the photos after you download them? I am preparing a DIY and this would be useful info. Thanks --

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clyde, could you tell me what kind of camera you use to take these photos, what setting it is on, and what software you use to put the orange circles and yellow boxes on the photos after you download them?
The photos were taken with an iPhone4S in HDR (high dynamic range). HDR does not do much in this case, but I usually leave it enabled.
Edits were done using GraphicConverter on a Mac.

These are the steps:
Crop the photos.
Downscale. (I selected 1000 pixels on the long axis). I usually upload full resolution to the board, but that is not needed for a DIY.
Add circles or other edits.
Save at 80% (GraphicConverter allows saving with loss of quality to reduce file size)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks a million Clyde for this diy. I just finished dismantling mine and repaired the shifter using jb weld. It is holding right now but I decided not to replace it as it seams like alot of people are having the same problem. Instead I will keep my paddle shifting to a miniumn.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just finished dismantling mine and repaired the shifter using jb weld. It is holding right now but I decided not to replace it as it seams like alot of people are having the same problem.
Many automotive plastics are difficult to repair. JB weld might not make a strong bond.

...Instead I will keep my paddle shifting to a miniumn.
I could not drive my M6 without the paddle shift.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Very nice DIY Clyde!
Thanks-mk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Great detailed diy. Thank you!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
This DIY is awesome!!!! Thank you so much... I had a problem with my shift paddle and had the dealer do it.... I had to replace my trim on the steering wheel... This thread helped big time!!!! Made it easy!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts