BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shift knob came off while I was driving today, I was doing the 1-2 shift, I shifted around 5000rpm, and :eek: my shift knob was in my hand, along with the boot. I pull over, snap it back on, and now the shift knob doesnt illuminate. I checked the wires, repaired and soldered one section of the wire, but it still doesnt illuminate.

Those who are experienced with CPO's, do you think this is covered?

If not, what other ways can I employ to fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Did you check the wires all the way till they plug into a harness? You might have pulled them out that low.
If it fails to illuminate, get a voltmeter and see if it is getting power. If not you might need to replace the shifter/boot assembly.
I'm not sure if it will be covered under CPO. You might find a SA who will replace it due to the clip that keeps it in place failing, but most likely you might have problems convincing them to do it.
:cheers:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BmwNut said:
Did you check the wires all the way till they plug into a harness? You might have pulled them out that low.
If it fails to illuminate, get a voltmeter and see if it is getting power. If not you might need to replace the shifter/boot assembly.
I'm not sure if it will be covered under CPO. You might find a SA who will replace it due to the clip that keeps it in place failing, but most likely you might have problems convincing them to do it.
:cheers:
Yep. A portion of the wire, from the harness to the shift knob itself was somewhat damaged, so I cut it, soldered it up, and tried it again, to no avail.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
There might have been a short-circuit when the wire came loose. Check the fuses.

As BmWNut said, if you have a voltmeter, use it.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts