BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

To start I have done my searches but I have a question for removing the Shift Knob. My Shift knob is a one piece unit with the leather housing. SO if I were to just yank it off The whole leather housing will come with it. Like I said it seems to be one peice so do people generally cut the leather around it to fit another knob on.

As for the brake handle I think I pretty much got it, I just have to yank it off now may be with some plyers but I can definately see how to remove it, no need to cut this baby at all it is already rocking from left to right, just missing the pull from me.

See the attached pics of what I am talking about.

Any help ?????

Attachments

·
10,458 Posts
yeah, most m5's do have a one piece boot/knob. You might be able to cut it, but i'd think it might look slopy. You could go to bmw and buy a boot for any e39 manual, 530/540 and have a separate boot to go with the new knob. I had one made by LeatherZ.com in alcantara (do a search for alcantara shift boot and you'll find some pics). They also will make them in any leather that you want, with any color stitching you want(including the M tricolors!). I did alcantara with imola red stitching... :biggrin:
Mike

·
10,458 Posts
here's a pic from member keith97m3turbo's car, he has the same interior as you and his pics are better than the one's i posted!
Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
You could just cut the boot, if youre gonna throw away the knob, cut the leather on the boot about 1/2 up the knob, so this way you could ziptie the leather boot the shifter and them fold it over and still have the right lenght.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Dont cut anything! Just yank (pull up hard) your factory knob and boot off and save it for later (disconnect the wire for the lighted knob) and then buy a 540i black leather shift boot that should go with your new shift knob perfectly (depending on what knob you are using). Let me know how your project goes, and best of luck. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all. I think I am going to just do what ATLANTA M5 and mottati said and buy a 540i or E39 boot and save the other. The LeatherZ.com idea has definately got me interested though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Question..... ?????

I have exactly the same interior as you....BIMMER23...

I found a replacement illuminated leather shift knob. Now I am wondering the following... I have a 2000 M5 (06/2000). The Ref number of the piece is 25112282400. I have heard that till 09/2000 the right ref number should be 254112282402.... Do you guys know if there is any difference and if I can use the first one ???:confused2

thanks for the help...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LuxM5 said:
Question..... ?????

I have exactly the same interior as you....BIMMER23...

I found a replacement illuminated leather shift knob. Now I am wondering the following... I have a 2000 M5 (06/2000). The Ref number of the piece is 25112282400. I have heard that till 09/2000 the right ref number should be 254112282402.... Do you guys know if there is any difference and if I can use the first one ???:confused2

thanks for the help...
I am not sure but my guess is that it doesn't make a difference as long as it is for E39. They are not model specific as far as I know. Best bet go to your local BMW parts shop and ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts