BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably changing the gearbox on my 5 speed 3.8. As I'm most likely going to the expense of an exchange unit from BMW, can I ask if anyone has any experience of shift kits?

Or is it better to just re-bush the standard shifter?

Barney Halse once said the 5 speed is ok to quick-shift, the 6 speed is too fragile....

Cheers, Anwar

PS last request for any second-hand boxes out there??

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I personally prefer the standard shifter ( correctly bushed ) on a 5 speed box after driving several cars with various shift kits ( z3 , UUC ) .

I have felt many a notchy gearbox on later 6 speed cars ( typically 1st to 2nd gear ) despite them being newer , lower mileage boxes .

Best of luck with the replacement .

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a six speed box with a UUC Evo 3 shift, DSSR and delrin bushes. The shift action is pretty good, first to second is a little notchy even when warm but it is much better than the standard shift. I am happy and would NOT go back to the standard setup.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
One all thus far .........

Opinions , opinions .....where arte thou opinions ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much gents.

I've considered upgrading to a six-speed, but not sure the economy benefit would justify it at UK speeds - my previous experience suggests that sixth is an Autobahn gear, great above 100mph.

Sorry about posting this thread twice.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Thanks very much gents.

I've considered upgrading to a six-speed, but not sure the economy benefit would justify it at UK speeds - my previous experience suggests that sixth is an Autobahn gear, great above 100mph.

Sorry about posting this thread twice.
The 6th speed does give a good MPG increase (3-4mpg) on motorway cruising. I'm getting 24mpg on my 215 mile Liverpool to London cruise at 80-85mph in ,y 5-speed 3.6. My 6-speed 3.8 did the same trip at 27-28mpg - although I don't know if the engine's different power band had anything to do with that :dunno:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the UUC Evo3 with DSSR rod, and I just love it. It took me about a week to get used to it, but now when I drive a standard M5, they feel like they have bus gearboxes in them. I love the precision with the UUC, it's one of the best mods i've ever made to my car. Don't forget the DSSR though, that's the best bit!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is there much difference between the UUC shifter and the Z3?

The Z3 is much more widely available and costs about half the price.
However from what I've read on this forum the DSSR is what makes the UUC kit really good...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there much difference between the UUC shifter and the Z3?

The Z3 is much more widely available and costs about half the price.
However from what I've read on this forum the DSSR is what makes the UUC kit really good...
I'm keen to know the answer to that one as well, as it could be a real money saver.

Priced g'boxes today, 5 spd works out as just under £2k inc VAT and OC discount, 6 spd about £1500 more, partly because I don't have an exchange unit.

Will probably scout around for a bit longer then go for the new 5 spd - you'd have to drive a long way to save the £1500. And the 6 spd was partly why I got banned in my first M5, well the manual did say "drive above 3000rpm for a few kilometers to clear the soot from the engine"......:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Quite like the shift in my mates Z3Mcoupe too. It's a step towards the weighty shift on a TVR

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the UUC Evo3 with DSSR rod, and I just love it. It took me about a week to get used to it, but now when I drive a standard M5, they feel like they have bus gearboxes in them. I love the precision with the UUC, it's one of the best mods i've ever made to my car.
Sorry not sure what a DSSR is, but I have the UUC kit in my M5 and agree 100% with John it is brilliant.

I have an (alleged) Z3 setup on my M635 that I bought off flea bay, and it is not so good. Hard to get into first when hot, and can be difficult getting out of 5th quickly, but that said I wouldn't go back.

I fitted one of these to both cars also and it improved them both http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Shift-Knob-E46-330-328-325-323-Z3-1-9-2-8-3-0-M3-Z4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33703QQihZ007QQitemZ170213466134QQtcZphoto

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Here is a brief description of what the DSSR does (Double Shear Selector Rod).

While producing a "short" shifter, our more important goal in improving the BMW shifter assembly is to increase the precision and smoothness of the overall operation.

The problem.

One significant wear area that has never been addressed previously is the wear and ovalization of the linkage connection points at the transmission and the shifter's lower pivot.

In the original BMW design, the connection at both ends has a large injection-molded plastic bushing. We already know how badly plastic wears in an automotive application, and these areas are not an exception. The design of the selector rod has a pin at 90° to the main rod, which exerts a tremendous amount of leveraged force on the selector joint bushing from one side (known as a single shear force). The result is a steady deformation of the bushing, resulting in looseness and slop in the entire mechanism.

The cure.

A temporary fix is to simply replace the selector joint. Unfortunately, this is only a temporary fix as the new joint's bushing will exhibit the same rapid deformation. To permanently fix this, a change in the fundamental design of the pivot is required, changing the assembly to a double shear system with the UUC Double Shear Selector Rod (DSSR)

The DSSR redistributes the torsional forces from the pin/bushing interface to the complete face area on both sides of the selector joint. By taking advantage of the strength of steel in the DSSR and the body of the joint, the problem of deformation is eliminated and the movement of the selector rod correlates directly to movement of the selector joint - the only "free play" movement remaining in the shifter assembly is from within the transmission itself. In-gear "free play" is reduced to approximately 10mm total when used with a UUC EVO3 shifter.

Reactions: gwm635

·
Registered
584 Posts
Had the UUC Evo 3 installed in a friends '93 M5 after his factory shifter snapped on me while I was driving it.

Much nicer to drive afterwards. But it does take a little bit of time to get used to. Once you do get used to it I doubt you'd want to go back.

Tried a car with the Z3 setup. Didn't like it at all. Much sloppier, and a bit harder to shift. Not to mention it can be snapped in two at the weld on top of the ball just like the M5 shifter I broke. Not gonna happen on the UUC piece as it's all one piece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts