BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My girlfriend just picked up one of my Xmas gifts from the dealer. Its an F10 M5 shift knob that comes with the boot and frame. I chose the F10 knob over the ZHP knob(half the price) because I wanted to retain the illumination. I didnt like the idea of taking something away from the car and letting the wires dangle.

I am unsure yet about how I'll handle the install though. I've seen E39 and E90 people remove the factory boot from the frame and then bring the new boot over and glue it. I may go that route as I do not want to touch my factory shift boot.

Has anyone tried to place the F10 boot over the E60 shift boot frame? I'm not 100% positive that it will fit and It may be close.

If anyone has a frame and damaged boot laying around I could throw you a few bucks for it.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,253 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah very nice... I'm hoping that I can swap the frames though.

I'm even considering making a new frame if I cant buy one somewhere. I'd really like to keep my old shifter intact as the whole thing is pretty mint.

Did you zip tie the boot to the shifter?

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Ah very nice... I'm hoping that I can swap the frames though.

I'm even considering making a new frame if I cant buy one somewhere. I'd really like to keep my old shifter intact as the whole thing is pretty mint.

Did you zip tie the boot to the shifter?
Yes. I zip tied it.

I think I tried to reuse the e60 frame with the f10 boot, but I couldn't staple gun the leather to the plastic of the e60 boot frame.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, yeah I'm pretty sure glue is needed.

Do you recall if the leather fit around the E60 frame at least?

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Oh, yeah I'm pretty sure glue is needed.

Do you recall if the leather fit around the E60 frame at least?
It didn't, from what I remember. I was planning/trying to stretch, staple, and glue the boot. I gave up and went the old route, which took nearly no time.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You will love this mod. I did mine recently but with a zhp knob. I looooove this mod and Woody helped with the process as well.

Dan

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will post pictures after I complete the mod. I'm still on the fence about how I want to do it.

My latest Idea is to actually make a base out of carbon fiber that the F10 shifter frame can click in to.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts