BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I just joined the group, but I've been a ghost member for months searching and reading the threads for interesting stories and answers to similar problems I've been having with my '91 E34 M5, such as: replacement of the water pump, thermostat, hoses and belts just last month. Now, I call upon this illustrious group with their infinite knowledge to help me sort out another problem, before I drop down a wad of cash.

We I start my baby everything is fine, but as I turn the wheel, while stationary, I hear a high pitch whine :wroom:. If I turn to either end and let go of the steering wheel it actually begins a left-to-right jerking/stuttering dance of its own as if it's trying to get back to center. It's actually a bit of a struggle, when stationary, to turn the wheel in either direction. Yet, when I'm driving, a different story, it's smooth a butter to turn the wheel and there's no noticeable whining sound, but it's hard to hear to almost anything over the deep growl of this beast.

I'm a novice when it comes to diagnosing problems and I know when I'm in over my head and have no shame in admitting when it's time to hand the reigns over to someone more qualified. I quite sure this is a power steering pump issue, but what I don't know is how to determine if it's due to a bad pump, air in the line, a loose belt (just put on a new one), a bad steering box (oohhh God, please don't let it be) or a combination of any of these.

All and any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board ......now that you have posted , you may find yourself spending more time on here than talking to your family !

You are certainly along the right lines in diagnosing your problem .

I would start with the cheapest fix i.e. correcting potential slack belt , check power steering fluid / pentosin ( CHF 7.1 for your car ) level ..... and work your way through !

Let us know how you get on .

D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
obvious things first like David suggests - belt tension and PAS fluid level (if low then top up to bottom of gauze in the resorvior). don't forget the PAS and rear SLS use the same fluid / resorvior.

what colour is the PAS fluid? I know mines needs changing as it's no longer just green - it's slightly darker than it should be...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. When I first noticed the problem I actually did check the belt tension and the pentosin level. The Fluid was low so I topped it off to just above the cheese grater, then I checked the belt tension. Having a great deal more knowledge working on vintage volkswagens (pre 1970's) and knowing how to check that single drive belt, I'm a little lost as to how to check for CORRECT belt tension on any of these belts. I just did the old "1-inch-thumb" rule, but I guess it's safe to assume these vehicles are a bit more advanced than a single belt drive, 4-banger with a lawn mower carburetor :hihi:

Also, 1 or 2 days later I rechecked the fluid to make sure it was not linking and, now that you mention it 1Day, my fluid was a bit on the dark green side. So, this weekend I'll syphon it out and replace and recheck, but if anyone could tell me how to correctly check the tension I'd appreciate it and keep you updated.

BY THE WAY: I'm a freelance Videographer and Video Editor, so, if any of you Guys or Gals living in So Cal and are doing some DIY Repairs let me know. If it fits in my schedule and you'll not too far out of the way maybe we can get a Video Library going for other DIY'ers. Just a thought. Think about it. Run it up the flag pole and see if it'll fly, why don't ya.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Also, 1 or 2 days later I rechecked the fluid to make sure it was not linking and, now that you mention it 1Day, my fluid was a bit on the dark green side.
I'm not an expert, only repeating what I've been asked myself here and on a UK 5 series forum. There are some threads (search is your friend) about draining, replacing and bleeding the pentonsin fluid - have a search. If you can't find it on here then you can check out forum.bmw5.co.uk - it's definatley on on of these forums.

Dark green doesn't sound too bad, the pentosin is a fairly dark green anyway when there is no light going through it (ie in the resorvior), I was told to look for "burnt" fluid in my own, it's a lubricating fluid as well as a pressure carrier at the end of the day, although it doesn't seem to appear on a regular BMW inspection change cycle (?? or am I wrong, does the BMW service schedule replace pentonsin at some stage?)

hope that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts