BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My “newest” car isn’t even registered yet but I couldn’t wait to share. I’m new here (hi!) but I’ve been active on other model-specific boards for some time. As a matter of fact here are some highlights from the past fleet. Was a lot of fun digging these up… some were taken with – gasp! – film cameras…

1993 500E – owned it from 2006 until it sold right after a BaT feature

1991 318is – best car I’ve ever owned. Til a college kid caused its early demise last year :reallypissed:

2003 540i/6 M-Sport – “gateway drug” (you’ll understand)

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a couple m5board members as I’ve searched for the right car over the last 6 months or so. Saw a couple really nice ones, in the end I’m glad I held out for an Alpine White car even though I thought it could take much longer to find. Here she is:

Apologies for the phone pic. The car is currently awaiting me in SoCal. It was posted on Craigslist in Arizona a couple days before Christmas. I made a deal with the seller within 24 hours, flew down a couple days later for the PPI and pickup, then drove the car to a buddy’s shop in OC and flew home. The car is getting an alignment and tires balanced (had some shimmy at speed) so that it’ll be in top shape for the 1,000 mile trek home to Portland.

I am fortunate to have a wife who encouraged me to get the car even though I don’t need it. We both work from home, which will allow me to keep the miles on the M5 low(ish), although it already has 117k on the clock. The M5 is a bucket list car for me, but I also tend to keep cars I like for a long time. Much like my *snif* E30, I’m going to take my time and do most of the work on the car myself. Already on the to do list:

• Swap out the chromies for original shadow chrome wheels. Already got a line on them, just need to pick em up.
  • Baseline detail – the car was sitting for some time and is dusty. I also want to get a better feel for where all the issues are.
  • Strip the tint. Its purple and unneeded in the great rainy PNW.
  • Fix misc trim items. Like rub strips, shift knob & boot, a couple broken climate control buttons, console storage bin, etc.
  • Valve cover gaskets are seeping. But not as bad as the ones on my 540 so I’ve got a little time to let the weather warm up.
  • Will probably replace the windshield as there are a couple large chips.
  • The front shocks are seeping & thrust arms are due to be done so a suspension overhaul will probably be the big summer project.
  • The jury is out on the Imola interior. I might swap it for all black or do something custom (would kill for an M-texture set). Will see how it cleans up & decide. If I’m honest when I saw it I didn’t hate it as much as I thought I would!

The overall plan is to get the M5 presentable for car week in Monterey next August, as I’ll be driving down with some friends for the Legends show.

Obviously some better pics are in order after the detail! Wish I could do that today but it’ll have to wait til I pick the car up mid January. Will share them as soon as I can, otherwise just happy to join your ranks after lurking for a while!

SLE

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club. 500e was one of the candidates before I ended up buying my M5 in the PNW. I haven't looked back and you won't eithwr
Not for me I look side by side as my M and E are stable mates, they are 2 very different cars. If you put it against the M5 of its own vintage its a no brainer my w124 wins every time, against the E39 its not apples to apples.

OP congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
77 Posts
A great addition to your already awesome past vehicles. Congrats! And +1 to your wife for swaying you to get it!

Reactions: She loved E

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
very nice congrats

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for the welcome & kind words! :byee55amg:

Pics of your interior?
Soon! Lemme get er home & cleaned up first...

Wanna swap interiors? Mines all black, ostrich print.
I might be up for that... once I live with the Imola for a few months I think I'll be able to decide if it stays or goes.

Not for me I look side by side as my M and E are stable mates, they are 2 very different cars. If you put it against the M5 of its own vintage its a no brainer my w124 wins every time, against the E39 its not apples to apples.

OP congrats and welcome!
Cheers, couldn't have said it better myself. I keep wanting to compare the two (its only natural, since most of us only have room for so many cars...) but at the end of the day they each do what they were designed to do so well. I miss the build quality of the Benz and maybe this is the rose colored glasses talking but I think it was actually roomier than the e39, at least for the driver.

Can't resist one more pic. Those flares!

This is on square 9" Mono IIs. Later during my ownership I also had euro headlights on it and a now very rare set of SL 2pc wheels but for the life of me I can't find a good pic.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I ask for pics because if it's still in SoCal, it would make a swap very easy for me. I have a mint black interior, but depending on the condition of yours and if I wanna go thru with it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahhh, gotcha. I'll be in town Jan 13-18 to pick up the car. Let me know if you want to meet up. Not sure if I'll be ready to decide on the swap by then but I get down to SoCal semi regularly.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Don't swap, its super rare. 1 of 6?

Reactions: Rontgen

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Welcome - seems like a great car you picked up. I'm always glad to see an older car go to a good home where the owner is willing to put the resources into making the car right. Good call on ditching the chrome wheels and the tint.

Love the 500E as well. I have a soft spot for wth w124 as I spent some of my childhood in one. My Dad bought a 300E in the mid-80s. In fact, he still has it and drives it regularly today. Those things are tanks.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts