BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
February 17<SUP>th</SUP> I’m finally heading out to M5 School (the experience)! I bought the beast in May 2006 and somehow got overlooked for the school several times, before I called and asked what was up. Anyways, I’m in, I’m excited and I’m taking my better-half as my guest (she has never driven the beast). I’m thinking I’ll let the pro’s introduce her to the M5, at school. Good idea or not? She’s afraid of the power; although she’s an absolute lead-foot in her 2000 740i Sport ...Go Figure!

So how did your wives react to M5 School? Was it life changing for them? I assume it would be. Will I have to buy her one, ...now?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I will be glad to go in her place as long as I do not have to share a bed with you. LOL

·
Registered
354 Posts
She'll love it and gain a lot of confidence with the car. My wife did.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
My wife loved it. It was so far outside of her element, and she had an absolute blast. Just be careful...sometimes the wives take the friendly competition at the event to heart and beat out most/all of the guys! It's great seeing your wife get all competitive driving a car when you're doing the timed runs or the road-course head-to-head competition.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The one caveat is that she will need to put away her fears and be willing to drive the car to its limits. A friend of mine with an M6 was forced to share a car at the M DE with another guy who was unable/unwilling to keep up with the instructor in the follow-the-leader format they had. This not only frustrated my friend, but slowed up the whole line.

So, is your wife a goer?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
So how did your wives react to M5 School? Was it life changing for them? I assume it would be. Will I have to buy her one, ...now?
My wife loved the M Driving Experience. It was not "life changing", but we had a great time. You and your wife will share a car with the instructors communicating via radio, which makes it a shared experience :cheers:

The Marriott serves a great breakfast, but the dinner is only average.
We loved Soby's in downtown Greenville: http://www.sobys.com/

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm going March 10th. Can't wait to hear about the details. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
How about leaving the wife at home?
NO NO! Definately take her with you as you planned. She doesn't have to take her turn driving (if she would be intimidated as my wife was) and that will give you more time behind the wheel. And drive the crap out of the beast since it won't be your car.
So down the road she will give you less greif when you happen to want to play a bit - in comparison to your driving at the school she'll think that you are driving quite moderately! :hihi:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I vote for bringing her, too. I didn't bring my wife to the PDC for my delivery, and I'm still paying the price for that decision. She will appreciate the fact that you have included her in your interests.

As for restaurant suggestions, I recommend Sticky Fingers BBQ an exit or two south on I-85. Ask the concierge at the Marriott for directions. Believe me you will not regret it.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
February 17<SUP>th</SUP> I’m finally heading out to M5 School (the experience)! I bought the beast in May 2006 and somehow got overlooked for the school several times, before I called and asked what was up. Anyways, I’m in, I’m excited and I’m taking my better-half as my guest (she has never driven the beast). I’m thinking I’ll let the pro’s introduce her to the M5, at school. Good idea or not? She’s afraid of the power; although she’s an absolute lead-foot in her 2000 740i Sport ...Go Figure!

If she drives the car on the street, I would definitely bring her.... You don't want to be driving this car without getting familar with it.

That being said, when I went to M School, somebody destroyed an M5.....if you feel your wifey is capable of driving fast then great if she is going to be a nervous wreck....don't bring her, she will only get in trouble.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Tbone, what happened that someone destroyed an M5?

I think it's a great idea to bring her, but you will likely not have the same schedule that I had on my trip. I found a couple of cool guys and after our day of driving, we hit up a great steakhouse (I believe it was called something like the chophouse, which I would recommend) and ended our evening with some eh-hem entertainment for gentlemen, recommended by the lovely waitress at the chophouse.

That aside, I think you should take your wife out and let her get used to SMG prior to going to the school. There's a lot of great things to learn at the school and you don't want her wasting her time learning how to drive SMG. It would be best if she were comfortable with SMG going into the school.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Tbone, what happened that someone destroyed an M5?

Blue M5 wet going through some esses (created by pilons to slow us down in the wet). The driver flew off the track and crashed the M5 on some storm grates, suspension all ripped up along with chassis.....totalled by my estimation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input

Sticky Fingers BBQ and the Chop House, got it, thanks! Yes, the plan is to take her out soon and introduce SMG. She's a trouper, so I know its all talk (I hope). We'll both have a great time.

Way2fast: sorry dude. I suppose you won't take me for a ride in your new Ferrari, now?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll be at the event on Feb 17 as well. See you there rgfinnegan. Bringing the wife but she's pregnant and she hates spirited driving to begin with so she'll be on the sidelines for most of the day.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Definately bring the little lady.It will be a great "bonding" experience. I remember when I took my wife to a 2 1/2 day concealed carry handgun course.( Thought she would hate it!) We had the best time and really improved our relationship.. So take her with ya!! Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts