BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a burnt clutch incident recently (see here:http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-shootout.html )
I had it replaced and I decided to mod the car while at it. I ordered up (among other things) a Jim Conforti Shark Injector from TurnerMotorSport (excellent service BTW).
So I waste no time installing the software, but couldn't test it out that night. The next morning, I definately notice a difference in the car. Feels like sport mode is on when off. I haven't even tried the sport mode yet, I really haven't had the need...I'll save it for the autobahn.
I am driving along to go get fuel, when while in 3rd, the car is super eager and smooth, I wind it up to redline...then BAM! I hit a brick wall at 6000 rpm:grrrrr:. Felt like a speed limiter wall. I thought to myself, this chip thing is supposed to raise my red line...
I slow down only to notice there is virtually no acceleration and pleanty of hesitation. SES light comes on, and proding the go pedal gives me nothing but really rough idle. About a 5 minutes later, the problem disappeared just as it started and I manage to get home without calling ADAC (AAA the Euro way).
I get home and I whip out the Peake wondertool and I got the following codes:

69 (no really, there is a code 69): engine coolant temp plausability
90: fuel control bank 1
CD - D5: misfire during warm up of cylinders 1 thru 8:eek:oohhh:

My questions:
Has anyone experience the same thing post sharking their beast?

I oredered the 91 octane version of the shark, though at the time of the incident the car had the equivalent of 93/4 octane.

Is it possible that the higher octane caused the problem?

Please help...I need to verify the speed limiter delete ASAP!
300kph/180mph awaits!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
How new are your MAFs and plugs?

Often times, as the motor and sensors age, the DME compensates for this drift.

WHen you pop in a new program all the values are resent to factory new- long term fuel trip, adaptations, etc... beating on the car when the programming and sensors are 'out of whack' can cause this 'lomp mode'.

The 'holy trinity' seems to be MAFS, Plugs, O2 sensors... smattering of CPSs and vanos solenoids.

It isn't the octane.

A

·
Registered
595 Posts
From the symptoms, it sounds like a CPS gave up the ghost. Haven't had any problems with mine since I injected it. Runs like a champ. Might want to contact Drew at Turner and get his take on it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys...apparently this is nothing new...check out this link from 7 years ago:eek:oohhh:!!
HELP! Problems with Shark Injector - DTM Power BMW Message Board Forum

I have contacted TurnerMotorSport and waiting for a reply. I haven't changed any of those things mentioned...but I think I should order new MAFS right away at the minimum. Any more inputs, please feel free.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE

I unsharked it, and the car ran just fine, although i can notice the lack of eagerness. I drive it hard hitting red line in 2nd and 3rd just to make sure and not a single issue. So I drive down to Esso and buy some 91 octane (the beast can run on it no probs, check the sticker on the inside of the fuel filler door) and go home to reshark. Car felt a bit less eager, guessing the 91 octane is not as nutritious.
I resharked the car, jump in, start it and rough idle is back.:mad: Very bad too, but no codes.

So, like Ard pointed out above...it is not the octane. But...when I first sharked it, it worked fine with the higher octane. Not even a rough idle, until I wound it up to 6000. This time around, no smooth idle...maybe the octane is now too low?

I am hung on the fuel...because that was the code I got from the Peake tool (90 and 91, fuel control bank 1/2)...if anything else was going bad, I should get a code, right?:confused:

Ordering MAFS either way and going from there.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The shark injector is the same software that DA cali has sold :confused: from what ive heard he was the one that developed it and it sucks

check old threads like DA auto software nightmares "its alive" hahaha

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
i think the problem is that this shark injector thing isnt made for our cars my friend..and by that i mean euro M5's

you live in europe and you using american stuff to get better performance.:3:
dont get me wrong, its not because its american it aint good , its just that there smog limits are not the same as ours, so that could trip a error . and thats a fact. theyre gas isnt the same as ours,that could also be a reason your cars stumblles.there climate isnt the same as ours....by that i mean barometrical.so in other words. the set up conforti gives you is made for american vehicles and isnt the set up you want for a european car in my honest opinion.
by this i also dont mean the conforti thing is a bad product..far from, but its just not made for european cars.

all those parameters together can make your car perform bad or give a reason your car goes in limpmode.thats what the problem is. nothing else.

why dont you go to a german chip tuner who works day and night on bmw's?

iff you need a adres here in belgium, give me a shout.for under a 900 euro's they make you a program on personal demands and wisches with a back up dyno proof.and i promise you your car will get what it needs, and allot more then the conforti says it gives you.
iff its just the speedlimiter you want , then buy a kelleners v-max box or a Ac schnitzer v-max box that removes the limiter.

thats just my 02 cents :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
i think the problem is that this shark injector thing isnt made for our cars my friend..and by that i mean euro M5's

dont get me wrong, its not because its american it aint good , its just that there smog limits are not the same as ours, so that could trip a error . and thats a fact. theyre gas isnt the same as ours,that could also be a reason your cars stumblles.there climate isnt the same as ours....by that i mean barometrical.so in other words. the set up conforti gives you is made for american vehicles and isnt the set up you want for a european car in my honest opinion.
by this i also dont mean the conforti thing is a bad product..far from, but its just not made for european cars.

all those parameters together can make your car perform bad or give a reason your car goes in limpmode.thats what the problem is. nothing else.

iff you need a adres here in belgium, give me a shout.for under a 900 euro's they make you a program on personal demands and wisches with a back up dyno proof.and i promise you your car will get what it needs, and allot more then the conforti says it gives you.
iff its just the speedlimiter you want , then buy a kelleners v-max box or a Ac schnitzer v-max box that removes the limiter.

Many tuners make software

In the USA you can buy different software from a few tuners

If your Euro friend spent more than 400 US DOLLARS thats like 200 EUROS ouichon software he would be happy all the time

you can buy software for the 95-98 benzin or 100 plus octane

Good software allows for adaptations

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE 2: Alles Klar

Thanks to everyone who offered help help by posting a comment.

Here is the present situation:
As mentioned above, I resharked it and started it up, the rough idle was back and worse than ever. My plan was to unshark it but I did not do it right away...i was tired and depressed.
Then at about 9:30 last night, I go to unshark it and I thought, well let me just start her up and see. Guess what? No idle, no SES, no nothing, just a very willing beast!!!:biggrinbounce:
I check outside temp, a very nice 62 farhenheit, so I ask CINC house (commander In Chief of the house) and I was on the A46 (autobahn between Heinsberg and Dusseldorf) in no time. :1:
I couldn't verify 180mph, I was too scared...but I did hit 165+, so yes, the limiter is gone. And the beast is eager, enough that I will have to relearn the car.

LESSONS LEARNED
I still don't know exactly what happened, but I will say the octane definately had something to do with it.

Never shark a hot beast! Let it cool off first, then go for a ride!

I will post pics/vids of 180mph when I get the cajones to make it happen:haha:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input dude...but my car is an American spec.:cool2:
I actually did not want to go with a German tuner here locally because of the differences in specs.
We need to get together...you, Mark, Fritz and I. I live 10 mins from Mark and I am sure we can do a nice little run on the 'bahn.:M5launch:

What do you think?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I may be miss reading something here but I am suprised your car even works at all on 91. If I put 95 in my beast it hates it, I run 98 all the time.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks for your input dude...but my car is an American spec.:cool2:
I actually did not want to go with a German tuner here locally because of the differences in specs.
We need to get together...you, Mark, Fritz and I. I live 10 mins from Mark and I am sure we can do a nice little run on the 'bahn.:M5launch:

What do you think?:thumbsup:
didn't know that your car is a us spec car..

:hihi::thumbsup::thumbsup: yes sir... there will be a day that we meet up...

will let you know in advance when whe come to germany :hihi::hihi:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
683 Posts
Be careful!

I unsharked it, and the car ran just fine, although i can notice the lack of eagerness. I drive it hard hitting red line in 2nd and 3rd just to make sure and not a single issue. So I drive down to Esso and buy some 91 octane (the beast can run on it no probs, check the sticker on the inside of the fuel filler door) and go home to reshark. Car felt a bit less eager, guessing the 91 octane is not as nutritious.
I resharked the car, jump in, start it and rough idle is back.:mad: Very bad too, but no codes.

So, like Ard pointed out above...it is not the octane. But...when I first sharked it, it worked fine with the higher octane. Not even a rough idle, until I wound it up to 6000. This time around, no smooth idle...maybe the octane is now too low?

I am hung on the fuel...because that was the code I got from the Peake tool (90 and 91, fuel control bank 1/2)...if anything else was going bad, I should get a code, right?:confused:

Ordering MAFS either way and going from there.
Since you mentioned you have a US spec car driving in Europe, 91 octane Euro (RON) is NOT the same as 91 octane US (R+M/2) which is what the gas door says in a US spec car. Euro 91 is 4-5 points higher than US which means about 87 in US.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since you mentioned you have a US spec car driving in Europe, 91 octane Euro (RON) is NOT the same as 91 octane US (R+M/2) which is what the gas door says in a US spec car. Euro 91 is 4-5 points higher than US which means about 87 in US.
You are right...my references to 91 octane was post conversion for the sake of clarity. 95 euro is 91 us and 98 euro is 93/4 us.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From the symptoms, it sounds like a CPS gave up the ghost. Haven't had any problems with mine since I injected it. Runs like a champ. Might want to contact Drew at Turner and get his take on it.
Forgot to ask you bro, where can I score a CPS and do you have any advice concerning it?

Also, how new where your MAFs and CPS at the time of your beast's sharking?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts