BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Just noticed on the Autowerks page that they have software upgrades through a plug in module to the OBDII. They just mention E39 though - will they work on the M5? I know that Jim Conforti has a good reputation for his software and US$349 seems very reasonable (read - much, much cheaper) compared with the competition.

Regards,

Gary.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I think you'll find that they only have Shark for E39 6-cylinder motors. They don't have anything for either the 540i or the M5.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a shame :crying2: The software upgrade (no idea whether it's Conforti or not) here in Geneva is around SFr 2600 (US$2000 or thereabouts). I think it can be less in the US but then you have all the shipping issues (whether you send the whole computer or borrow the cables and software).

Regards,

Gary.

CSBM5 said:
I think you'll find that they only have Shark for E39 6-cylinder motors. They don't have anything for either the 540i or the M5.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Powerchip has a very decent software upgrade for the M5. They have supported this board for a long time. Search the board for more info.

Understand that, unlike diesels and turbos, there is NOT a lot of power to be gained on the M5 with chip mods, because the factory programming is already pretty good. Still, the powerchip improves driveability and runs the engine a little leaner (but not overlean) resulting in better throttle response and better mileage, and perhaps a slight power increase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts