BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with removing their Shark Injector and had to have the BMW dealer overwrite the software?

Background of my problem:
1) Purchased and installed the shark injector race version last year (2009) - I have been happy with it
2) Recently failed emission test in Missouri in my first emission test attempt without removing software
3) Tried to uninstall the shark following all procedures - didn't work and received an undocumented error
4) Turner Motorsport / Jim Conforti fixed the device (good service but took 2 months)
5) Received the device back today, when I tried to uninstall it gives me error code 163 - "Bad User Request" (instruction manual states this error occurs when the user attempts to upgrade the car or restore the car when it is already in that state)

This is getting a bit frustrating and I am tempted to go to the dealer and have my software put back to factory. Has anyone had to do this? How much will it set me back($)?

I have new SS Headers on the way, so I was hoping to do a "clean slate" Dyno, then Dyno after the header install, and then dyno after the shark injector. I will share all results with the group. But I need to pass emissions to get my 2 year tags before anything!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Had a simillar situation

Had the Shark software, was flashed back to stock and then reloaded the software just fine...Its just about no time to do, so i would think a stealer would want an hour?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I can handle paying for an hour if it will get me through emissions for 2 years.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Probably not your issue, but what kind of battery charger to you have hooked up when attempting to remove it? I have seen that older batteries even with quality chargers having produced errors when attempting to install/uninstall the software.

I have installed and uninstalled with no issue several times.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Its definitely not a battery issue, the/error codes for them are 123 and 124

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I don't think it's a battery charger issue. I actually bought the battery charger from Turner Motor Sports (TMS) when I bought the shark injector. It's a NAPA 85-435 professional battery charger.

I called TMS, they said even though the shark lights are giving an error code, it may have actually uninstalled correctly and to test the rev limiter to see if it cuts out at 7k or the higher 7400.

I have attempted to do this, but feel like I am harming the engine by taking the revs so high which I almost never do. I couldn't tell what the rev limit was when I did hit 7k+. Should this be an easy thing to identify? Can you actually feel the fuel cut-out when you hit the limit or what do you notice?

·
Registered
245 Posts
you will definitely feel when you have hit the red line. It feels very similar to letting completely off the gas when flooring it. You should also be able to tell using the tach if you are in a higher gear (3rd or higher would be good). I dont know if i would like having to do that but if its the only way...i guess you have to.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What "undocumented error" did you get.

This is the first I've ever heard of this entire issue

BTW - the Shark Injector IS NOT going to cause you to "fail emissions"

Exactly why did you "fail" emissions, and what kind of test?

ASM, SNAP, OBD plug in readiness codes?

Jim

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think his not passing emissions is another issue, however...has the "bad user request" problem been solved?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the M5board is great...
First, let me state that I have all high marks for the Shark Injector.

Here is a description of the original problem - which seems to have been resolved:
I plug the unit into the port and the solid green light comes on.
Next, I prepare the car and then press the install button. It quickly flashes green for about 3 seconds then all lights go off.
I re-tried this 4 times and made sure the instructions were followed.

Details on the unit I purchased:
The version I have is the M5 Race Version (SN 08111229)
To clarify- the undocumented error was what TMS called it when I sent the unit to them for service. Here is content from the email received from TMS...

"We've done some testing on the Shark Injector you sent back. It's exhibited some odd behavior on our equipment. The red and green lights worked fine but then the red LED stopped working. The green LED has been working fine. At the moment I'm waiting to hear back from Jim Conforti on what to do next."

So maybe you never did actually work on it personally - sorry if I misstated.

It seems to work now, but the error I now get is 163: "Bad User Request - User requested an upgrade when already upgraded, or a restore when already returned to stock."
I tried this 3 times and it has given the same error each time.
Am I doing something wrong? I have followed instructions in detail.

Regarding the emissions: first, I have the race version, so I assumed this is why i failed emissions. The following inspection results are on my report (Missouri):
MIL Result: pass
MIL KOEO: pass
MIL KOER: pass
Data Link Connector: pass
OBD Communication: pass
Readiness Result: fail

I have no idea what most of these mean.

Any insight would be great. My assumption that I could uninstall the race software, then pass emissions, then re-install it.
Thanks for the attention!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts