BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got bad shakes while braking! I know this should not be the brakes as I have just upgraded them so I know that these are in good sted. I used to get this problem but had gone away and this was the first time for a few weeks that it had been back.

Anyway I just ordered the bits from BMW 500 pounds later!! Ouch!!!

Ahh the joys of owning a expensive M mobile.

But hey I need to do this for my trip to the Ring and Spa next month! Also would like the Touring ARB and new Springs. But they can wait at the moment.

Thanks for reading...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi Burton

My recently acquired six-speed M5 had the front floating discs replaced one year/5,000 miles ago (genuine BMW parts) - it was vibrating real bad when i test drove it, bought it anyway - turned out the discs were warped. The local dealers here replaced them under warranty, very helpful chaps! You may want to investigate if yours are warped too?

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Burton, There are lots of things to check. On installing new rotors make sure to thoroughly clean the hubs where the rotors contact them. If there is dirt or rust there it can cause the rotors to act as if there are warped. Found this out on my old E30 318is. The other thing to check is the control arm bushings. Mine were worn and it shook and made a clunking sound under braking. Hope you get this sorted for the Ring and Spa trip. Sounds like a fun time. :wroom:

BURTON said:
Yesterday I got bad shakes while braking! I know this should not be the brakes as I have just upgraded them so I know that these are in good sted. I used to get this problem but had gone away and this was the first time for a few weeks that it had been back.

Anyway I just ordered the bits from BMW 500 pounds later!! Ouch!!!

Ahh the joys of owning a expensive M mobile.

But hey I need to do this for my trip to the Ring and Spa next month! Also would like the Touring ARB and new Springs. But they can wait at the moment.

Thanks for reading...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Think the originals are sided so if installed wrong will heat up prematurely and can warp

just my two pence

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Then my reply is void :byebye:

Sorry never knew about the AP`s cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.... its the first this has done it with the APs on. You get her straight and she is fine braking on the left side and she shakes. Also noticed she pulls to the left!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Could be a sticking pad or a wheel bearing. How long did you bed the discs & pads in for?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Didn't post some photos? And I thought the discs were wrong sided; ie, the grooves faced forward.

Could it be they are on the wrong way round?

Could also be pad compound is not correct for weight/performance of our cars. (Had this problem with EBC GreenStuff Pads, which warped the discs)

BURTON said:
I can feel it through the steering wheel. Does seem to point to the front Left.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although the grooves are wrong the discs are on correctly even states this in the AP Racing Manual. I would of thought that the pads should be really up for the task do to the fact that they are a Racing kit.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Have you checked your tyre pressures? These cars do seem quite sensitive to tyres which are too hard or too soft, especially when it comes to pulling to one side or the other.

What condition are your control arm bushes in?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have checked them. Tyre pressures are fine.. Its happened about a few weeks from the track day. For no reason, its very strange.

No idea. Hence why Iam replacing Control Arms and Tracking Arms with bushes.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
BURTON said:
I have checked them. Tyre pressures are fine.. Its happened about a few weeks from the track day. For no reason, its very strange.

No idea. Hence why Iam replacing Control Arms and Tracking Arms with bushes.
Hi!
AS said before, checking/replacing the control arms is propably a good idea, Mine had exactly the same symtoms. The car puuled to right and vibrations under braking.The culprit was a totally shot control arm bush AND the ball joint at the hub.

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BMW have phoned me to say that the parts are in. So I will pick them up at lunch. Also the car is booked in on Friday to have everything fitted!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.