BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a wonderful board with a very supportive group of true enthusiasts many of which I have had the pleasure to get to know.

As most are aware I am a strong advocate of headers on a M5/Z8. They offer a consistent measurable increase in power. I often state that headers are the biggest bang for the buck; however the price of admission for many has been steep.

We all watched and many participated in the most recent RDS group buy solicitation for headers during which I made a few comments. Ultimately I gracefully back away because my goal was to share technical differences between the various headers available but at the same time I did not want to discourage the installation of headers.

This brings me to my point:

After numerous emails and private messages asking for some answers and assistance we have found a way to bring Christmas early.

At this time we www.Discovery-Automotive.com are offering what we consider to be the finest header available at a price not seen for a very long time, in fact well before all the Euro monetary adjustments.

This offer is be made to a person not to a group so we encourage you to consider the direction you would like to go with your M5 and we would appreciate being a part of the process. We not only understand but encourage individual dreams and goals thus the reason for not making this a group purchase.

The suggested regular retail price for these headers is $4331.00 however we are offering them for a limited time for $2935.00 with all shipping charges included. This means no surprises, no hidden charges, no coupons or store credits, just a simple bare bones price that we hope you enjoy and can wrap your arms around. For your information the headers presently are in stock and ready to be shipped, in fact could be at your door in as little as a few days.

By the way, several have asked “what about my 540, will these or other work on it too”, the answer is absolutely. This headers system is a natural for your 540 too.

Thank you again for all the support, the wonderful comments, and for becoming a member of Discovery Automotive.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
You are forcing me to rethink this whole header thing... hmmm

Will there be any "minimum" number of buyers, or is that price come one, come all? And if we want to retain our stock cats, is another piece needed?

I appreciate the way you conduct business (no BS) and thanks for offering such a great price! :happybirt

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ELEVENS said:
You are forcing me to rethink this whole header thing... hmmm

Will there be any "minimum" number of buyers, or is that price come one, come all? And if we want to retain our stock cats, is another piece needed?

I appreciate the way you conduct business (no BS) and thanks for offering such a great price! :happybirt
There is no group participation or minimum number of sets to sell..... I have them ready to ship for one or for all.......

Yes, you can retain your OEM cats and if as time goes by you decide to add to the exhaust the system can be build upon like a high quality puzzle.

If you retain your OEM cats then yes you will need a mandrel bent tube that will connect the OEM with the new. Unfortunatly I am at another computer so I am not able to upload the photo of the piece or the exact price based on this our Christmas pricing however it is under $300.00........ and again including all shipping charges. You can always have the exhaust installer create such a connection piece for for however I would not recomend, The connection pipe allows the OEM with the new headers to flow seamlessl.

I will post the photo and the exact price in the morning.

Thank you for the interest and the supportive comments.

Regards,

Shadowan

·
Registered
366 Posts
what kind of performance gains can we 540 guys expect?
i already have a GIAC custom s/w setup and CF intake, plus
hi flow cats, Supersprint X pipe and a Kelleners dual exhaust.....

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
Wow, this is an incredible deal!!! This thread is appropriately named. At this price, I am off the fence and I am definitely in!!!! I will be calling Shadowman tomorrow before he comes to his senses and changes his mind!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just wondering if anything else is required?

I only have Tubi Exhuast.

Marion

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good Morning Shadowman,

I was seriously looking at the RDS GB buy but now you have announced this I have two questions.

1) I have pre cats on my 2000 ESS 540 and was wondering where my pre O2 sensors connect to with the SS setup, I realize my precats will be gone after this, it's just that from the pics of the SS headers I cannot see where the pre O2's connect.

2) I have two custom 2.5" pipes running all the way to back to a Remus muffler, based on this can my local exhaust shop make the connection I need from the SS to these pipes. I have no centre cats or res so back pressure is not an issue for me.

Is there anything else I have missed with regard a 540 installation, other than the header OE gaskets.

I will give you a call on Thursday about this.

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
shadowman said:
At this time we www.Discovery-Automotive.com are offering what we consider to be the finest header available at a price not seen for a very long time, in fact well before all the Euro monetary adjustments.

Shadowman
Looks like a great deal for those looking to add headers.

My first question is who is making these headers that are on sale?

How do they differ from the "group buy" headers that are currently being offered other than the additional cost of the down pipes?

Will your headers require any special installation instructions?

Will the OEM cats wear out quicker with headers on the car?

Any downside with a Tubi exhaust or any aftermarket exhaust already in place?

Ars these headers coated?

Sorry if I am covering any territory that has already been discussed. Competion is never a bad thing.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
ESS..I wish i could help you out but im not familiar with the 540.

Mark,
These are the supersprint 540/m5 headers, that have been talked about quite alot in the other post about the groupbuy headers.

The supersprint headers are the easiest headers to intall and do not require engine removal. The design of the headers with the separate primaries that run into the collector and then are secured there.

The cats should not run out any faster, or fast enough that someone would notice.

The headers are not coated (but it can be done by many aftermarket companies for around 300-500 dollars) and in addition there are no issues while trying to connect them to any aftermarket exahust setup currently inplace.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
ESS..I wish i could help you out but im not familiar with the 540.

Mark,
These are the supersprint 540/m5 headers, that have been talked about quite alot in the other post about the groupbuy headers.

The supersprint headers are the easiest headers to intall and do not require engine removal. The design of the headers with the separate primaries that run into the collector and then are secured there.

The cats should not run out any faster, or fast enough that someone would notice.

The headers are not coated (but it can be done by many aftermarket companies for around 300-500 dollars) and in addition there are no issues while trying to connect them to any aftermarket exahust setup currently inplace.
Thanks for the feedback. Does coating have any real benefit?

Mark

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Mark,

coating sure does have an affect on things, as we know the power will be increased by adding the headers, this in turn will create more underhood heat and as has been documented by numerous m5'ers heat soak is a problem with the car. So by coating you reduce the underhood heat, reducing the heat soak that is common with the m5.

·
10,445 Posts
Could someone post a couple of pics of these installed. My desired views would be from the engine compartment, and from under the car (with the belly pans installed). My concern is how visible these are. You really can't see much of the stock manifolds, i'm hoping the same would be true with the headers. If they are very visible, that'd be a fail on the visual part of Ca. smog, if you have an attentive smog tech.
Additionally, is there a possiblity of getting these headers coated before shipment? (so they arrive ready to install)
thanks
Mike

·
Company Representative for Supersprint
151 Posts
Mvious said:

Marion
The Supersprint components are designed for the most part to function with all O.E. components. (Exceptions are Met. cats with stock down pipe etc.) Yes your Tubi will fit the Supersprint center pipe. If your Tubi also fits the factory parts forward. One thing to that you should consider. Make sure the Tubi is a resonated flow thruogh design muffler, not a Chambered baffle design. The flow through resonated design. Is a perforated tube that goes straight through, this maintained high velocity at minimum back pressure. The chambered baffle design is quieted by dumping into a series of chambers, which kills velocity.

I will get some images up on the web so you can see the do's and don't of muffler design.

Thanks for your interest
Al hafner

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have SS headers, racing cats, x-pipe and mufflers and I love them. I got them ceramic coated before they were shipped to me. They are not really visible from the engine compartment but certainly are easily seen from under the car.

The headers and cats + appropriate Powerchip ECU/DME programming added 25 - 30 RWHP and a beautiful sound.

:cheers:

·
Registered
770 Posts
These are the connection pipes used for both the M5 and the 540 with OEM cats.... the Christmas early price for this piece is $285.00, the regular suggested retail is over $400.00..

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Shadowman,

Most intriguing. In an effort to plan for this mod, is a cut off date known yet?

Secondly, what has been your experience with the dreaded SES light with SS headers?

And finally, regarding coatings - does the stainless steel composition of the SuperSprint headers lessen the need for a ceramic-type coating? I've had good luck with JetHot, but I would be most interested in hearing your experiences with coating providers.

Thanks again Bill for your insights and candor.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ELEVENS said:
Shadowman,

Most intriguing. In an effort to plan for this mod, is a cut off date known yet?

Secondly, what has been your experience with the dreaded SES light with SS headers?

And finally, regarding coatings - does the stainless steel composition of the SuperSprint headers lessen the need for a ceramic-type coating? I've had good luck with JetHot, but I would be most interested in hearing your experiences with coating providers.

Thanks again Bill for your insights and candor.
Thank you....... by the way before I answer your specific questions I hope you were made aware of he last minute price adjustments. We at www.Discovery-Automotive.com and EVOSport were able to work even closer with SuperSprint of Italy and SuperSprint of NA to make Christmas even nicer. As the result the SuperSprint header system is being sold for a limited time at $2800.00 which still will include shipping charges.

Now to your specific questions; the Stainless steel tubing used by most header manufacturers today reduces and in many cases eliminates corrosion so the ceramic coatings do not assist with this concern anymore however the ceramic coatings will reduce engine bay temperatures and also assist with the scavenging within the exhaust system. Since you asked my opinion...... I would first share that the headers on my personal Supercharged Z8 are not coated....however I have and do regularly ceramic coat headers.... it offers benefits in controlling the radiant heat and maybe to some degree the associated heat soak within the engine bay but minimal visual if this is an issue particularly since you can barely see the headers on an M5. The facilities I use include Jet Hot, HPC, as well as local area vendors. Today the results if the materials are properly prepared and applied all seem to work very well.

With regards to the SES light concern, this has never been an issue when the SuperSprint headers are used with OEM cats however as you mentioned it has been an issue from time to time when the small metal bed cats are installed. Many times a simple trick when installing them can solve the problem however for a few it has remained a part of their driving experience. I will gladly discuss this issue further if you would like. Feel comfortable emailing or calling me directly.

I hope this answers you question.

Keep in mind that in addition to the SuperSprint header and exhaust systems we can also assist you with your specific DME programming needs as well as other performance hardware.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mvious said:

Marion
Hi Marion:

I am sorry I did not reply earlier.

In your case your will need the SuperSprint header system and for ease of installation I recomend the mandrel bent tubing and associated hardare that integrates the SuperSprint header system to your OEM cats.

I will gladly discuss it with you. Email or callme anytime.

Best regards,

Shadowman

1 - 20 of 59 Posts