BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all aware of the unique Chrome Shadow wheel finish and the difficulty in having it refinished. I picked up a pair of used rears to get a square setup and after reading the numerous threads about this (mainly this one: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/141380-chrome-shadow-paint-process-wheel-refinishing.html) I was on the verge of sending my wheels to Prince. They seem to do a fantastic job, but it 's a hassle and quite expensive to ship the wheels to them. Note that they recommend that you send a third, existing wheel for them to match.

While doing this research, the guys at Ace Performance here in MA asked if they could not give it a try first. Ace has a history related to RimPro and they are also the maker of the D-Force line of wheels so they KNOW wheels. Since I really like the idea of not having to ship the wheels and also to have a local vendor just in case something went wrong, I decided to give it a try. Their price is very competitive to Prince (as in the same).

The result is above my expectations. The color came out looking very, very close to my OEM wheels, and the finish ("shadow effect") is very close to OEM. Wheels with tires below are OEM, wheels without tires are refinished.

The process they used is:

a. Wheels are straightened if needed
b. Wheels are chemically stripped
c. Wheels are primed
d. Wheels are painted with a black base and a silver paint to create the shadow chrome finish
c. Wheels are finished with a powder coat clear

So for anyone that is in New England and is looking to have their wheels refinished, you may want to talk to Ace before you send them away.

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
You got me just in time. Where in MA? Does the powder coat make the surface either too glossy or too orange-peel like in your opinion? Thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You got me just in time. Where in MA? Does the powder coat make the surface either too glossy or too orange-peel like in your opinion? Thanks, Dan.
Dan,

Not sure what I can or can't say since I assume they are not a sponsor, but here is the URL: Advanced Concepts Engineering - Home Page. They are in Tewksbury, so not perfect for you since it's north of Boston. Orange peel? No, I would not say so. They are 10% glossier than OEM.

Key thing is that the chrome shadow brightness is the same as my existing two OEM wheels (and as you may know - the OEM wheels did wary significantly in brightness).
I'm fairly anal, and the truly right way should have been to have all four rears refinished at the same time. But there is also reality. For the price of one good used wheel I now have a set of four rears I can happily use as a set. I will likely use the two new on one side and the two OEMs on the other. If you then walk around the car I doubt anyone can tell the difference (unless they are truly concours anal).

The savings in shipping cost alone are significant (I forget the quote I got but I think it was in the $70 range each way - and then you have to pack them up nicely as well).

If you want to stop by and take a look sometime - send me a PM.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 "Hows"-

How much?
How long?
Same price at Prince
About three weeks, but that was over holidays, the actual work took a couple of days I believe. The car is my summer car so usage is very limited in the winter (even though this year we have had no snow, so the M5 has seen more usage than usual).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Looking good. What else they do?
Also like your cross drilled rears - which ones are they?
Vic in Concord....
:cool2:

Dan,

Not sure what I can or can't say since I assume they are not a sponsor, but here is the URL: Advanced Concepts Engineering - Home Page. They are in Tewksbury, so not perfect for you since it's north of Boston. Orange peel? No, I would not say so. They are 10% glossier than OEM.

Key thing is that the chrome shadow brightness is the same as my existing two OEM wheels (and as you may know - the OEM wheels did wary significantly in brightness).
I'm fairly anal, and the truly right way should have been to have all four rears refinished at the same time. But there is also reality. For the price of one good used wheel I now have a set of four rears I can happily use as a set. I will likely use the two new on one side and the two OEMs on the other. If you then walk around the car I doubt anyone can tell the difference (unless they are truly concours anal).

The savings in shipping cost alone are significant (I forget the quote I got but I think it was in the $70 range each way - and then you have to pack them up nicely as well).

If you want to stop by and take a look sometime - send me a PM.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good. What else they do?
Also like your cross drilled rears - which ones are they?
Vic in Concord....
:cool2:
Vic,

They do all kinds of normal maint work, and they have a BMW master tech (Nick) who is a magician. He is the guy that replaced my thermostat in *literally* 40 minutes, together with the temp sensor and some other small pieces. He also does advanced DME programming etc. They have the elusive "Diablo twin" in there which needs some more programming work that Nick is doing. Very wild looking car...

I have the full Brembo BBK. Installed it last year and very happy with it, even though I sort of wish I removed the splash shields in the rear. It is very tight between shield and rotor and any kind of contact when switching wheels usually create a grinding noise. Brembos with PFC01 is incredible...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine were done there too (ACE). Don't have a good picture, but since my car is Sterling Grey, I had them darken the shade a little. The wheels match the car so well now.

I had powercoat done with straitening. The finish still looks like the day I picked them up 3 years and 100+thousand miles later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've also had 2 different sets of wheels refinished at ACE. First was a set of HRE's. Had the barrels straightened, polished and the center's Shadow Chromed. Came out incredible. I will try to find a pic but they were on my OLD e36 M3. Also had a set of Velano's refinished there. Barrels straightened and polished, centers powdercoated black with a Matte Clear. Could not be happier. Baer and Tom over there are top notch. Also should be mentioned that they have worked on, tuned and maintained my e60 M5, e63 M6, E82 1M, and e46 M3. I trust these guys over anyone in the area.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kevin, just to be clear. I have only heard good things about Prince. This was just meant as a public service announcement for those in the new england region that may want a potential alternative.

Sent from my mobile, when i really should be looki.ng at the road.....

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Kevin, just to be clear. I have only heard good things about Prince. This was just meant as a public service announcement for those in the new england region that may want a potential alternative.

Sent from my mobile, when i really should be looki.ng at the road.....
No worries man. I see what you mean...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just dropped my E60 M5 wheels off at ACE. I can't wait to see the final result and mounter on my Silverstone M5.

155PLUS: I sent you a pm. Please let me know if you received the message. Thank you

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just got a phone call from Bear at ACE that my wheels will be ready for pick up tomorrow morning. These guys are excellence. I was in a little of situation; they went above and beyond to get the wheels back to me in two working days. I dropped it off Monday night and its ready for me pick up. I also dropped my tires off for them to mount and balance. Finally, I would like to thank Carl for this thread and working with Bear to assure the proper color (Shadow Chrome) was done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly what I was looking for! I was just scared of the pricing but it sounds like it is reasonable, my issue is that I need all 4 redone and was contemplating just buying new wheels but I do love the shadow chrome and style 65. Really wish Previous Owner hadnt used harsh cleaner causing peeling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts