BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new to the forum. I've got a pretty much stock 91 M5. Looking for advise on what is the best manual available?
Also any suggestions on where to start when wanting to squeeze better performance, handling, etc...out of it.
Any performance shops that people recommend in the SF area?

Thanks,

P

·
10,458 Posts
bavarian professionals in berkeley knows the e34 m5 well. There's nothing major to gain in power, but a chip can improve driveablilty and add a little hp and torque. The favorites on the board seem to be confortti and d'sylvia. Changing the cam gears can help boost the low to mid range torque, some say at the expense of top end power. I put 3.8 cam gears on my car, power comes on stronger a little lower in the rpm band, and it still feels good at the top end. Suspension changes are common, deleting the rear SLS when it fails, using bilsteins or koni's, with eibach, h&r or dinan springs are popular choices. Dinan also makes anti roll bars that are adjustable.

At the age these cars are at, it's best to start with making sure it's at 100% of it's factory ability first. Full tune up, plugs, cap and rotor, valve adjustment, etc. Replace all of the vacuum hoses etc under the plenum.

as for manual, do you mean service manual? bentley has a great e34 manual, but it's not m5 specific, so no real S38 info. There has been factory repair manuals posted here before, so run a search and you should find it or a link to it. (same for a digital version of the bentley manual)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bay Area Shop

Years ago I used Phaedrus in SF, but too far for me now so I use Carrera Motors in San Mateo. Spencer at Phaedrus (if he is still there) had a sparking example of an E34 M5 on his shop floor. Also agree with the other poster, there is a huge pfd of the original BMW mechanics manual scanned an on line somewhere (I recall it was close to 1,500 pages). If you don't find it, I may have a copy on my laptop, let me know if you want me to look for it.
Dave
'93 Dinan (stroker, cams, suspension, brakes etc)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts