BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped off my girl when I got an SES this AM, after a "surging" idle and to take care of a few nagging items upon receipt of my new beast.
SES codes:
MISFIRE CYL. 1-4
MIXTURE CONTROL

My front PS2s were wore on the outsides and the rears in the center. Identical left and right results. I was thinking 4 wheel alignment but my service advisor said M5s wear tires that way and my alignment is fine. Anyone able to verify this?

Picking her back up tomorrow. $50 deductible that's all. Thanks 100K CPO.

·
Super Moderator
10,463 Posts
Sounds like normal e39 tire wear, positive camber in the front and overinflation in the rear (if you follow bmw's tire pressure card).
Mike

ALEV8 said:
I dropped off my girl when I got an SES this AM, after a "surging" idle and to take care of a few nagging items upon receipt of my new beast.
SES codes:
MISFIRE CYL. 1-4
MIXTURE CONTROL

My front PS2s were wore on the outsides and the rears in the center. Identical left and right results. I was thinking 4 wheel alignment but my service advisor said M5s wear tires that way and my alignment is fine. Anyone able to verify this?

Picking her back up tomorrow. $50 deductible that's all. Thanks 100K CPO.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
mottati said:
Sounds like normal e39 tire wear, positive camber in the front and overinflation in the rear (if you follow bmw's tire pressure card).
Mike
Mike-

I agree on the first two counts:
1) normal E39 wear
2) positive camber in front

I disagree on #3, however. In this instance, it's beyond typical E39 and more related to S62/M5. Our cars show wearing of the center of the tread block even when properly inflated, and the culprit often is 369 lb-ft TQ!

So my take is:
3) could well be torque wear

-Dave

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I'll only add this. Normal tire wear on the M5 can be greatly accelerated based on driving style. Lots of hard charging into corners or one weekend at the track can take 5000 miles off the outside edges of the front tires. I agree with teutonadict on torque wear for the rears. At 38-40 psi, the rears should be nearly even wear across the tires. Above that and I would expect the inside rows to wear out first.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
ALEV8 said:
previous owner was running 48 PSI in the rears! Seems very high.
Okay, mottati, I stand corrected! ALEV8, your tread-center wear is likely due to over-inflation.

Keep in mind that extended mashing of the loud pedal can produce the same symptoms.

-Dave

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Try a search on tire pressures. This has been an oft discussed topic here. FYI- I am running 38f/ 35r. This is suited to my style and has made the car drive much more stable. There is a fairly good range that people use but something around 35/35 or so is typical. I was advised by a tire guy a good friend knows to run 38/32 but that seemed too low in the rears. Most of my driving is fairly tame and most of the aggressive stuff is limited to putting the power down in a straight line. Once in a while I can corner well on an on. off ramp.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Try a search on tire pressures. This has been an oft discussed topic here. FYI- I am running 38f/ 35r.
What pressures are typically recommended for a high performance driving event at a track like Willow Springs, for example?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I can't tell you since I don't track my M5. I think there are a few members that do- like Greg. I can ask him and I can ask someone I know who does track work with the newer BMWs.

My numbers seem to work best for my street driving. Btw- the best way to find out the exact pressures is to do it with a pyrometer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.