BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Anybody had experience of oil leak from their beasty? Started suddenly and hasn't got worse - but its a heck of a leak. ??????

It appears to be coming from under/behind the nearside [UK - Left] engine mount, where it bolts to the block - although I can't understand why as I'm sure the threads in the block are blind and wouldn't go through into the oilways - would they?

I've checked as best I can - without taking anything off at the moment - and it doesn't appear to becoming from the dipstick tunnel, or the rubber breather pipe from the tunnel.... Although I guess this could be most likely suspect.

Could it be the tunnel? Does it have an 'o' Ring seal where it goes into the block? Is this common?

Any thoughts, or similar experiences??

Cheers
Yangi

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There are a couple of things (leaky candidates) there;

The dipstick
The oil filter container
The engine mount (oil-filled)
The PAS reservoir
A set of HVAC coolant pipes to the matrix.

The dipstick has a couple of o-rings on the shaft (they might well be bonded on). I've bought a new dipstick because the handle was broken. Only £9.

Is it definitely engine oil, or could it be PAS fluid?
You can see the mount with a torch - see if you can spot the oiliest parts!

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andy

Thanks for the response.

Definately engine oil - have had to still use it for about 1000miles since it started, and used a 5 litres!

Having had the car up on jacks today, cleaned all the oil from the sump and surrounding area, I then ran the motor, and fresh oil was running out from above the sump and looked to be coming from behind one of the engine mount bolts to the block, and running down the mount and the sump.

I'm pretty sure [80%] its not the dipstick/tube, nor the filter container.

Interesting you say the engine mount is oil filled? Never heard of that before - Why / How so?

If this is the case, I suspect I could have a cracked mount, or faulty seal/washer or something in that area. Hopefully not too much of a pain to replace.............

Cheers
Yangi :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:3: ........ engine mount Bracket, from the block to the top of the rubber mount - not the rubber mount itself!

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of the most common places for engine oil to leak from is the oil pressure switch. Not sure exactly where it is located but I've had the same fault several times on different BMW's. The first time was on an E28 528iSE and it took me ages to find it.

Hope this helps,
Steve.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve

I had read a few other posts last night, and see that the pressure switch can be a problem, And I think it's in the right area - so will have a look over the weekend. But Sump gasket looks like it's on the way out, and will be next to deposit oil over the drive, so I might just put it in somewhere and let somebody else have the joy of doing it!!

Cheers
Yangi

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yangi said:
Hi Andy

Thanks for the response.

Definately engine oil - have had to still use it for about 1000miles since it started, and used a 5 litres!

Having had the car up on jacks today, cleaned all the oil from the sump and surrounding area, I then ran the motor, and fresh oil was running out from above the sump and looked to be coming from behind one of the engine mount bolts to the block, and running down the mount and the sump.

I'm pretty sure [80%] its not the dipstick/tube, nor the filter container.

Interesting you say the engine mount is oil filled? Never heard of that before - Why / How so?

If this is the case, I suspect I could have a cracked mount, or faulty seal/washer or something in that area. Hopefully not too much of a pain to replace.............

Cheers
Yangi :(
The rubber of the engine mounting is oil filled. It´s to improve damping characteristics.

So you´re 80% sure it´s not the filter container, but still suspect the pressure sensor?. The sensor is located in the foot of the container. It sounds to me like it´s just your sump gasket that leaks very much. On M30´s the sump bolts loosen by time and then the gasket is doomed.

Niclas

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
B6-523 said:
The rubber of the engine mounting is oil filled. It´s to improve damping characteristics.

So you´re 80% sure it´s not the filter container, but still suspect the pressure sensor?. The sensor is located in the foot of the container. It sounds to me like it´s just your sump gasket that leaks very much. On M30´s the sump bolts loosen by time and then the gasket is doomed.

Niclas
Hi!!
Yeah, but the sump wont leak if it isn`t full to the brim.
I had that problem and the oil leak stopped after the oil level came below max. So this doesn`t explain the constant leaking of oil.

Just my 2c
Sakke

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DrSakke said:
Hi!!
Yeah, but the sump wont leak if it isn`t full to the brim.
I had that problem and the oil leak stopped after the oil level came below max. So this doesn`t explain the constant leaking of oil.

Just my 2c
Sakke
Hi all

Probably the sensor. When I had it up on the jacks I could see the oil running from above the sump - from the block where the engine mount bracket bolts on - down onto the sump - and then onto my driveway!!
But the sump is probably leaking slighty as well, as part of the gasket on the front corner is sticking out.

Oh joy.......

...........So, how easy/difficult is it to change the sensor? Does the oil filter canister have to be removed?

Yangi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts