BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The value of this board is second to none. I was able to finish several DIY maintenance projects without any problems by following the FAQ sticky threads.

1. Changed rear diff fluid. Used Redline form bimmerzone. The fill and drain plugs were really easy to get out. This is probably because the car was in Cali all of its life. I popped a 14mm allen out of its socket (from Autozone) and used the 14mm wrench to turn it. Refill took 1.5 bottles.

2. Put a new fuel filter in. Great DIY pics and description helped immensely in two areas: getting the panel off (plastic push pins) and disconnecting the rear of the filter. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who suspects they have the original filter on their car. When draining mine, it was clear at first but then turned black near the end. Lots of grime in there.

3. Air/cabin filters--- no big deal.

4. Spark plugs-- not that difficult. The only part I found to be nerve-wrecking was having to spin the 10mm nuts off some of the coils without dropping them. Good idea to have a long magnet just in case. Below is the photos of the old plugs. I am not sure if they were original or at what point they were replaced. I suspect the were about 30k old based on the PO having an Insp II done at that time. Any thoughts on the plugs? They are 1-8 from left to right.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just did my spark plugs and valve cover gaskets before the weekend. Plugs DEFIANTLY made a difference, power is a LOT more linear, seems like the below 2K RPM is smoother.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasnt sure about mine. I think my ff was so dirty I bet that made more of a difference. Have not driven it since the ff was replaced. When the roads dry up I will take it out again and see if the combo made a big difference.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wasnt sure about mine. I think my ff was so dirty I bet that made more of a difference. Have not driven it since the ff was replaced. When the roads dry up I will take it out again and see if the combo made a big difference.
I am SURE that you will notice a difference. My car was FINALLY able to hit 138+ on the "MAF test" secret screen, when I changed mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts