BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps,
Searched on this topic and there are many posts but none with the advice I am after. During the install of my BC's I removed front wishbones and thrust arms to clean and inspect bushes, replaced thrust arms with X5 type. I am trying to research how to re-set up these parts. Now the car will be lower now then before. Should I install the thrust arm and front wishbones but not tighten up, drop the car so its sits at new ride height and then tighten up? I have ordered all new nuts, bolts and washers, to replace all old stuff, just want some advice on best way to re-install the control stuff.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
138 Posts
The thrust arm bushing needs to be pre-loaded to work properly. Usually the easiest way is to jack the car up from under the hub, or lower it onto something until the car comes off the lift point you would normally use.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, so the bush needs to be permenantly pushing down on the wheel carrier? So I tighten this up whilst the car and wheel are off the ground and when the car is lowered the force is applied? Not sure I've got this right as it seems that this would want to tear the bush, I am a complete novice when it comes to suspension set up you may have figured this out by now..............

Mike

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sort of. The bolt on the bushing end of the thrust arm is tightened while the strut is compressed by the weight of the car [the knuckle end having been bolted in normally and already torqued down]. The preload tension comes from the strut bearing down on the thrust arm which allows for more controlled movement of the suspension.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Reactions: Mr.Devere

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK nice one, I'm guessing the ramps are required due to access constraints when the car is sat on the wheels. So I'm gonna follow this procedure for the thrust arm and the wishbone. Lock up the knuckle joint end, lower car onto ramps, tighten bush end of both components. Thanks chaps.

Mike

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
My car is far too low to drive up on the ramps, but I do like you mentioned, jack up the car and put the ramps under the tires. I am a big scaredy cat when it comes to cars falling on me. I use jack stands and the ramps when the car is in the air. LOL..... A bit overkill I guess.

Hope you get things squared away.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can't have too much overkill when the cars up in the air, you'd be dead in an instant if something failed..............i'll post some before and after pics when its all sorted..............nice one........

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts