BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOOD GOD! SES woes.. when is it going to end?

I posted about this a while back http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48655 but today was another page in the saga of my constant SES light. Basically, I had been getting symptoms of a fault camshaft position sensor (louder exhaust note, sluggish performance) and took it to the local dealer near where I work to get it diagnosed. They said I had a faulty CPS and that I also needed to get my DME reprogramed. I decided not to get the work done there since they have a penchant for giving my car back to me with excess mileage.
Cut to today, where I took it to the dealer that my parents use. The car came up for Inspection I and I provided the CPS that I ordered off of Pacific BMW (for a tidy price difference).
I get a call in the afternoon saying that they didn't want to put the CPS in since it had about 11 faults (again) and the tech needed to test drive it to see how it was. I went to pick up the car and the service rep said that they think it's not the CPS, but VANOS since that fault also was pulled up. I got irritated since the research I had done on the board pointed towards a CPS problem, and that the car just got out of warranty earlier this year and the VANOS replacement is a $1200 job.
I spoke to a tech and he said that the VANOS fault could have been caused by the CPS, and vice versa, so he said he would switch out the cheaper part (the CPS) and see if the symptoms went away. I can't get the car back until tomorrow but I'm just holding my breath. I don't want to see that #)%* light come back up on the instrument cluster.
I was wondering if anyone actually had a faulty VANOS unit? Is that the same as the solenoids that people were talking about before or is that separate? If the CPS doesn't do it, I was thinking about asking them to switch out the solenoids and see if the fault follows.... I don't know.. just don't want it to be a true VANOS problem.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: GOOD GOD! SES woes.. when is it going to end?

I hope its not a Vanos problem for you Anzir. The price you quoted for a vanos replacement isnt even close to actual. I think the single bank Vanos replacement is more like double the cost you quoted.

Let them take their time, they will swap the solenoids to isolate the problem, its a SOP. Hopefully thats all it is.

When they diagnosed my car they went through an entire routine to get to the bottom of it. There was more wrong than just the Vanos. If yours is the CPs, thats a no brainer for them, even swapping the solenoids is fast. If the faults dont follow the solenoid, then they are going to have to replace the Vanos. If that doesnt do the job, you might tell them to contact the regional service rep for your area and see what he can do for you. They do have some leeway to afford you goodwill depending on the mileage and how far out of warranty time you are.

B

·
0 Posts
Re: GOOD GOD! SES woes.. when is it going to end?

Sorry to hear of your SES problems. Pete, provided a good explanation of the likely chain-of-events. You definitely need to get your DME reprogrammed.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the opinions, guys. I got the car back today and it still felt a little weird, but I went straight to a gas station since it was almost empty (thanks BMW tech) and it felt like it was back to normal after I filled her up. I am pretty much just holding my breath and hoping that the SES doesn't come back. I guess I should put a hold on all upgrades until this is fished out.. Wish my car luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts