BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the light last week. Stopped driving the M5 except for necessary trips - engine seemed louder and gas consumption was higher.

Got the car to BMW of Beverly Hills and the tech just called and told me it was the VANOS code from the SES. I know this is common and I am happy the car is under CPO warranty. How permanent is the fix for this? Anything I should know from the pros who have seen this before?

-MA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Took the car in yesterday to dealership because of intermitent(sp?) SES light and occasional rough idle. I was told today that they will be replacing the VANOS. It will take a couple of days because of parts delivery. Luckily the car is still under warrenty.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So which dealer is your beast visiting? I am at Beverly Hills. I like them more than South Bay based on my limited experience with both.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mamsterla said:
So which dealer is your beast visiting? I am at Beverly Hills. I like them more than South Bay based on my limited experience with both.
Rusnak in Thousand Oaks. They are convenient Usually take my Bimmers to an independent.

My maintenance warrenty expires Jan 05. I have considered and decided not to extend by 2 yrs the maintenance warrenty. I have been averaging 850 mi per month so the time cut off would kick in way before the mileage cutoff. Now with this VANOS problem and who knows what else may come up I am getting nervous about my decision. What do you folks think?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am in the same boat with extending the warranty coverage on my 01 - it expires in March. Not sure what the options are from the factory - I wouldn't get a third party one

-Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
mamsterla said:
Rusnak in Thousand Oaks. They are convenient and the car is still under maintenance warrenty. However, I usually take my Bimmers to an independent.

My maintenance warrenty expires Jan 05. I have considered and decided not to extend by 2 yrs the maintenance warrenty. I have been averaging 850 mi per month so the time cut off would kick in way before the mileage cutoff. Now with this VANOS problem and who knows what else may come up I am getting nervous about my decision. What do you folks think?

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Nolift911 said:
I am in the same boat with extending the warranty coverage on my 01 - it expires in March. Not sure what the options are from the factory - I wouldn't get a third party one

-Jeff
I think 3rd party is going to be our only choice Jeff. Mine expires Aug 27, 2005. Unless one is the original owner of the car, you can't get an extended warranty directly from BMWNA.

BTW, how is your car doing? I think I met the guy you purchased it from a while back -- his company buys and sells high-end cars.

Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts